Afraid in No. California

Donna D.
on 2/25/05 3:55 am - Dixon, CA
My physician has recently suggested gastric bypass surgery to control my weight and hopefully thereby improve my diabetes. I have heard a lot of horror stories about this surgery and would welcome any positive input. I am especially interested in how much recovery time is required and how much pain is involved. How long will I be away from work?
edmondgirl
on 3/1/05 2:06 am - EDMOND, OK
Hey you sound like me. I was diagnosed in December whith Diabetes and have my consult with surgeon on March 8th. A lot of unknowns for sure, but hang in there I am sure it will get better! We will learn a whole lot from this site, so you are headed in the right direction
sherita
on 12/12/05 12:17 am - Chesapeake, VA
Hi ladies, I was diagnosed with diabetes in April and had my surgery done on 11/7. Since the day of surgery I have not had to take my Metform (glucophage) or my insulin and my blood sugar #'s have been within normal range. The pain was not too bad (i've had a c-section in the past and I hear that pain is far worse than gastric-bypass). I stayed out of work for 3 weeks but could have gone back after week 2. I just preferred taking the extra time to get used to eating differently. If I had to do it all over again, I would. I did a lot of research and had a good attitude going into this. I also have had a lot of support both online and from family and friends. I wish you success on this journey. Remember, the media doesn't always pain the whole picture when they share the horror stories. Like, how reputable was the surgeon, did the patient follow the rules after surgery, did the patient have pre-existing complications that would make them a high risk with any type of surgery (heart problems, etc.), what kind of follow up care was provided. I would suggest you research, research, research and let the stories from others on this site help you in making your decision. Find others with similar comorbidities and ask questions like you are doing.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 157 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 484 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 825 views