HBA1C

kraulto
on 3/9/05 3:49 am - Mission Hills, CA
I need to determine the best way to lower mine from 9.2 to less than 7?
Donna B.
on 3/9/05 7:40 am - Pell City, AL
The best and only way I know of is to make sure your blood sugars stay in control. My sugars used to be really uncontrolable until I got an insulin pump. My A1C went from 13 to 7.5. Good Luck! Donna
kraulto
on 3/10/05 2:34 pm - Mission Hills, CA
My Endocrinologist claims using the pump is futile since my problem is Insulin Resistance.
Jan G.
on 3/11/05 3:11 am - North Hollwood, CA
I don't know if this will help but here goes. Insulin resistance is usually associated with overweight. The insulin you manufacturer cannot penetrate the fatty tissue in the body. Insulin is also a fat building hormone, can you believe!!! So when you eat the kinds of foods that require more insulin and your body cannot utilize it, more problems!! I find that if I eliminate starch carbs and refined sugar, my body weight goes down and my ability to utilize my own insulin gets better. If you do have a weight issue, weight loss, exercise and lowering your intake of starch and sugar may help you. The insulin I take is Lantus, once at night before bedtime. As long as I don't load on starch and sugar, it seems to do the trick. Naturally, there are times when I freak and start to eat everything that isn't nailed down and then I see sugars that sometime**** 3 and 4 hundred.
kraulto
on 3/12/05 11:27 am - Mission Hills, CA
I appreciate the information..you know i found out gaining more weight on Insulin through my dietician not my Endocrinologist who prescribed me the Insulin...go figure??..I'm on 55 units of Lantus @ bedtime and 30 b4 bfast. The Humalog is 40 for bfast, 30 for lunch and 40 for dinner on a sliding scale of +2 units for every increase of 40.
Terriberrie
on 3/10/05 7:20 am - Jacksonville, FL
Raul, I went recently for a refresher course on treating and living with diabetes. One of the things that they mentioned over and over again to do when your sugars are high is to test more often and at different times of the day and evening (even set your alarm to wake in the middle of the night). The other thing that they said was to drink water,water and more water. Think of high blood sugar as karo syrup and normal blood sugar as sugar water. The more water you add to karo syrup, the thinner (and less dense ) it gets- the thinner it is , the less sugar there is per volume. It seems to be working for me. Hope that this helps you! Terri
kraulto
on 3/10/05 2:33 pm - Mission Hills, CA
Hey Thanks Teri...water definitely helps!
SJWendy
on 3/11/05 11:41 pm - Swedesboro, NJ
I've been type 1 diabetic for over 10 yrs, on an insulin pump for 3 yrs and my AIC was 6.8 with the latest labs. Pre-op I was on over 125 units a day of humalog, now I average about 50 units. I too was very insulin resistant being overweight and I packed on about 100 lbs in 10 yrs because of that and all the insulin. I agree, test your blood sugar often...well wait at least 2 hrs after a meal and keep a journal to relay to the endo. I test 6-8 times a day and I test in the middle of the night as well. The pump helped me lower the need for too much insulin. One sign of high blood sugar is extreme thrist, so I have no choice other than to drink tons of water to thin the sugar, thus peeing it out. Good luck and getting your blood sugar in control by avoiding carbs as much as possible will help. Remember though and AIC is an average of bs over the past three months...so it may take some time, but the lower the better. Good luck, Wendy 275/175/150
kraulto
on 3/12/05 11:33 am - Mission Hills, CA
Thanks for the information. I have been keeping a log ever since I started on my Insulin regimen on 08/04, i test bout 4-6 times daily. The gaining of weight is absolutely devastating since i was not warned of the side effects. My Endoc feels the pump will not help due to my insulin resistance. I'm workin with a diabetic nutritionist right now so problem is keeping with the diet regimen.
blondiebubbles4
on 3/18/05 12:12 pm - Dunn, NC
You might try reading this book by Dr Julian Whitaker, MD . It is called Reversing Diabetes. Dr Whitaker explains clearly which foods to eat, how insulin causes wt gain and what you can do. His information is easy to understand (although I'm a registered nurse). Many MDs have not had much training in nutrition. Do not understand why it isn't considered important for them. I had to take 2 semesters in nursing school in the 70's. Also you might benefit from a visit with a dietitian who can explain what to do-food, exercise, etc. Good luck. Diane
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 147 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 475 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 816 views