New Here!

Cary C.
on 4/27/05 2:32 pm - Olympia, WA
Hi, am new to this message board. I have DMII and have been for my first consult/eval for my WLS. Has anyone ever heard of being turned down becuase your diabetes was well controlled? My PCP is wondering if my insurance company will turn me down becuase my last A1c was 5.8 and my blood sugar rarely goes above 150. However, to achieve these numbers I am taking Avandia, Metformin, Lantus, and Humulin R, and on a very restrictive diet, and exercise 5 days a week for 1 hour. Whew, that's a mouthful. I am 31 and need this surgery to help erradicate some/all of these medications so I can have healthy pregnancies. My husband and I want more children but right now is just not good becuase of my diabetes and what it takes to stay in control. I keep hearing all the success stories of what this surgery has done for diabetics and I hope to be another success story someday soon. If approved I will have my surgery late July or early August. I have already started my pre-op diet and have lost 5 pounds the first week. I am a lightweight to begin with, 235 when I went in for my consult last Thurs. So maybe by surgery time I'll be 200. I know if I don't have surgery I will require more meds/insulin as years go on. I already have a long time to live with this disease being diagnosed at only 27, so I want to minimize my risks form it as much and as early as possible. Well, I just wanted to introduce myself and say good luck to all of you on your journey with WLS.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 157 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 484 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 825 views