post-op hypoglycemia?????

bon
on 6/24/05 9:30 am - Enterprise, AL
ok, here is my question, if you are post-op & have the hypoglycemia, what do you eat or drink to get back to naormal. i am on insulin 2 x a day. i always drop during the day, bad. i have to eat or drink something high in sugar RIGHT THEN to bring my sugar back to normal. i cannot eat a piece of peppermint & be ok. i have to really have some sugar! alot of the times i keep a real coke with me. what will i do after surgery??? thanks for any info! bonnie-
Jen
on 7/2/05 12:14 pm - Southern, WI
Hi Bonnie I've only had hypo once since the surgery but I am lap band. I don't dump. I worked with my doc to develop a detailed plan prior to my surgery to reduce my insulin intake and get off my metformin and actos. I take fruit juice but I would think you could inject glucose...if it doesn't get digested you can't dump, right? My main point is don't let diabetic complications stop you from considering this surgery. I've cut my insulin intake down by more than half and dropped two meds. Careful testing, and counting carbs are helping me keep normal blood glucose readings these days. You and your doc can do it! Yours in pounds down, Jen
mspisces
on 7/6/05 11:00 am - Somewhere, AL
I have very low blood sugars now after wls. I was told to eat 6 small meals a day to keep my blood sugar levels up. I do and it does help, but sometimes when I am out and aout and it gets low I just can't eat something sweet or drink a soda so I just grab anyting that I can have like a banana or some grapes and it helps until I can get home and eat as often as I can to get it above 80. I dump on high sugar content and greasy foods. I had Lap-R N Y.
Karyn K.
on 7/14/05 1:20 pm - Van Nuys, CA
Ms. Pices, Thank you so much for your post. I am 4 weeks out and have been having trouble with low blood sugar. I am (or was) type II. I see my doctor next week and will talk to him about eating smaller more frequent meals. All I got out of my PCP was, "great on the lower BS numbers. Not much help there. Karyn
SJWendy
on 8/7/05 7:12 am - Swedesboro, NJ
just checking in on the Diabetes board....and wanted to respond to your question on what kind of sugar to take post-op. I'm Type 1 diabetic with several low blood sugar episodes a week and I always keep a bottle of Glucose Tablets with me. You can get them in any pharmacy. I've never had a problem with dumping, but everyone is different. Also milk or OJ is a better choice than soda in my opinion. Good luck, Wendy 3/15/04 275/175/150
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 147 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 475 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 816 views