SYMLIN ..... ANYONE ?????????

Slender_once_again
on 8/13/05 2:45 pm - portsmouth, VA
Hi ALL ... In a few weeks it will be one year post op. and I have only lost 60 pounds. I still have about 35-- 40 to loose. like so many I gained a lot of weight on oral diabetic meds. Just a few months pre-op I gained 27 pounds on Avandia...... My surgeon was almost going to cancel my WLS because of this weight gain. My Ac1 was over 12 before the Avandia and i weighed in at 197, but the Ac1 was too high for surgery. So I was in a bind. With the Avanida (and a lot of really hard work) I did get my BGL down to 10, but now the weight gain was a stopper. Without telling my MD's I STOPPED YJE AVANDIA and just stepped up the insulin. Doing this I dropped 20 of the 27 pounds and my surgery went ahead as planned. All the while I was telling them ( the MDs) that the weight gain was from the meds.... it was so frustrating. Now close to one year out, my AC1 is 7. I have always had a problem keeping BGLS STABLE, they can go from a fasting of 77 to a post meal of 350. I have had many night time HYPOS one recorded by a constant BGL moniter that said I was below 50 for a few hours each of the 4 nights recorded! A few weeks ago Mydaibetic Md wanted to stop all of my inslin and have me take AMARYL .. I had a panic attack in her office. I knew this would cause weight gain. I know it seems strange but I would rather use the insulin to have better control, than realy on a weight gain cusing ounce a day pill. TG she listened to me. I am sure the slow weight loss I have had had been due to the insulin. I am stil having problems with Highs and LOWS.. but the highs are now only in the 250--300 range,, Instead of 400 - 600 that they had been. This week when I saw her, we once agin talked about the other meds available. She suggested I look into SYMLIN and let her know if this might be something I would take. After a lot of reading up on this I am thinking of seeing her on Monday and begining this. Like almost EVERY medication out there NO STUDIES have been done for use with WLS patients. I think if I do this it will be short term like maybe six months. But even with WLS and better Ac1' it seems the complicatiosn I had avoided before WLS have accelerated. I guess I was really in deep trouble before the WLS and the damage that is now showing up was just under the surface. I am hoping the the SYMLIN will help stabalize my BGLS on a daily level as wel as help with these last 40 pounds or so. Any one else taking this med? I will keep you al updated on how this workks for me. http://www.drugs.com/mtm/s/symlin.html What is SYNLIN (pramlintide) ? ? Pramlintide is an injectable medicine for adults with type 1 and type 2 diabetes to control blood sugar. -- taken with each meal. ? Pramlintide slows down the movement of food through your stomach. This affects how fast sugar enters your blood after eating. Pramlintide is always used with insulin to help lower blood sugar during the 3 hours after meals. ? Pramlintide may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide. What are the possible side effects of pramlintide? ? When starting pramlintide, reduce your doses of insulin before meals as recommended by your doctor to reduce the chance of low blood sugar. You and your doctor should talk about a plan to treat low blood sugar. You should have fast-acting sugar (such as hard candy, glucose tablets, juice) or glucagon with you at all times. Call your doctor if you have low blood sugar more often than normal or severe low blood sugar. ? Your chance for low blood sugar is higher if you: · do not reduce your insulin dose before meals at the beginning of pramlintide treatment, as directed by your doctor; · use more pramlintide or insulin than prescribed by your doctor; · change your insulin dose without checking your blood sugar; · eat less food than your usual meal; · are sick and cannot eat; · are more active than usual; · have a low blood sugar level before eating; or · drink alcohol. ? Nausea is the most common side effect with pramlintide. Mild nausea is more likely during the first weeks after starting pramlintide and usually does not last long. It is very important to start pramlintide at a low dose and increase it as directed by your doctor. If nausea continues or bothers you, call your doctor right away. ? Pramlintide also may cause decreased appetite, vomiting, stomach pain, tiredness, dizziness, or indigestion. Pramlintide also can cause reactions at the injection site including redness, minor bruising, or pain. ? Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.
Slender_once_again
on 8/15/05 4:00 am - portsmouth, VA
OK I made the choise, * Now it will take the Drug store ten days to get this medication in, * then I will have to meet with the RN Educater at my MD's office. * I will have to keep very strict diet logs * as well as eat according to the plan. * each meal MUST be at least 30 Carbs and 250 Calories. * BGL MUST be taken BOTH pre and post meals. * insulin levels will be adjusted - 50% to begin with and so on. * almosy daily contact with MD's office during first three weeks or until SYMLIN dose is stable The two major concerns with this medication are 1.) nasuasa and vomiting ( should go away after first week or so) 2.) HYOPGLYCIMIC events some that can be critical. Thus the constant BGL testing, and I will wear a night time alert moniter. My hubby will also go with me to see the RN so he can learn how and when to use the Glucogon injections. This medication is not advisable for folks that are NOT OVERWEIGHT because it does cause some weight loss. My current weight is 140.(has been stable for past three months! ) Goal is 115 - 100 (I am just under 5 feet tall) I will post more after I have been using SYMLIN for a few days or so. Lisa
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 156 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 483 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 825 views