Most of the diabetics cured????

Thelma
on 8/25/05 1:01 pm - Westlake, LA
I check this board often and see minimal activity compared to other boards. Is this because the diabetics that have had wlsurgery have been cured??? I am hoping mine will be cured when i have surgery in late October. Regards, Thelma
Shelley C.
on 8/26/05 12:16 am - Chatham, Canada
Hi Thelma, I too am Diabetic and hoping that I will be cured after the surgery. I have read that up to 85% of people with Type 2 Diabetes no longer experience higher than normal blood glucose levels after the surgery. Type 2 Diabetes is tricky- I have often wondered if it is actually a disease in and of itself at all, and not simply just a symptom of the insulin resistance that often results from obesity. Because it does seem to disappear for some people after the surgery, I can only assume that it must be a collection of symptoms that can be relieved with an intervention like drastic weight loss-at least for those people whose pancreas is still functioning properly. I dunno, LOL. Just thinking. I check this board every day, and there are usually no or few new posts. I wi**** were more active because I have so many questions, LOL. I hope that your Diabetes is gone like the wind after your surgery- mine too. Take gentle care.
Thelma
on 8/26/05 8:36 am - Westlake, LA
The remarkable thing about this is that many are off their medications as they leave the hospital. No weight has been lost at this time. It is believed that the surgery itself does something good to relieve our problem. I have heard 98% cure for the DS procedure. Regards, Thelma
Shelley C.
on 8/26/05 3:43 pm - Chatham, Canada
Wow!! I am very interested in understanding what it is about the surgery that has this impact on Diabetes before the excess weight is actually lost. So much to learn, LOL. Take gentle care.
KRWaters
on 8/28/05 6:39 am - Manteca, CA
Well Shelley, I have been told that having the surgery (RNY) just does something to our hormones to effect the course of diabetics. It just changes our system. Karen
KRWaters
on 8/26/05 2:26 pm - Manteca, CA
Hi all, YES diabetes can be cured after weight loss surgery. I had my RNY on 4/4 and two months out I am off of Avandia and OFF OF INSULIN. I still check my sugars like maybe four times a week per my PCP. This is such a fantastic miracle to have my diabetes gone GONE GONE! I wish you all the same luck as I have had. I am down 63 pounds and minus 30 inches. Karen
Shelley C.
on 8/26/05 3:47 pm - Chatham, Canada
Hi Karen, Congratulations to you !!! You're doing wonderfully. It must be so nice not to have those darned meds to worry about anymore, and 63 pounds gone is awesome as well. I would love the idea of not having to worry about Diabetes anymore. I get so scared about the terrible things that can happen to our bodies as a result of it. I cannot wait until my surgery is over and I am on my way to health. You've done a great job in such a short time since your surgery. Be proud!! Take gentle care.
Barb McGraw
on 8/29/05 1:44 am - Mount Hermon, CA
Lap Band on 05/18/05 with
Hi, thelma - -I had Lap Band surgery May 18 of this year. Right after surgery, I cut down to 1 500/5 Gluovance a day cause I just wasn't eating anything but protein liquids. I stayed on that amount through July 29. I was up in Yosemite hiking, and kept feeling faint. When I got back to the redwoods my PCP checked me and my sugers were below 100, and my blood pressure was too low. I was already off diuretics and lipid medication. Also off Actos. He took me off all medications. I now only take Allegra D 1X a day and my prempro. I'm really paranoid thinking I need the others. My Dr. said that if my sugers go above 200, call him. Otherwise, stay off of meds. My biggest asset is the exercise - not just eating small amounts. I walk at least 1 hour a day and do my weights every day. The exercise is more important than what you eat when it comes to diabetes control. Obviously diabetics are never healed - but theu can get under control with no medications. I know RNY's get off medications faster. Barb
Thelma
on 8/29/05 6:32 am - Westlake, LA
That is an impressive amount of exercise and hiking sounds great. Unfortunately, I have ruined my knees from playing tennis for my exercise. Can't do that anymore. I do water aerobics 3x perweek. Good luck with your program. Thelma
Patricia Sbr
on 8/29/05 10:28 am - Canton, NY
I too am diabetic and am in the pre-consultation stage. But I would reason that "enforced" diet and exercise would lower one's blood sugar considerably, perhaps even immensely, within a short time. I plan to follow my doctor's instructions and try not to worry about it! For me, I would contine testing and watching for high/low BS symptoms and treat them according to my doctor's instructions. I wish you the best!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 157 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 484 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 825 views