Recent Posts

heleneK
on 3/13/19 9:34 am
Topic: RE: Why is it so hard losing weight being a diabetic?!

Diabetes is caused by a high fat diet, especially from animal products and oils. The fat clogs up the cells so there's insulin resistance.

The Physicians Committe for Responsible Medicine recommends a low-fat plant based diet to prevent, manage or reverse Type 2 Diabetes. For more info, see their site: https://www.pcrm.org/health-topics/diabetes

And because plants do not have cholesterol, it will also lower your cholesterol levels.

Also, research studies show animal proteins make people can weight in comparison to people eating the same exact amount of calories as plant proteins. (my guess is that it is the growth hormones in animal products)

As for weight gain on the body, it is usually caused by too many calories or sugar. You can also gain weight if your digestive system is not working correctly. I take a probiotic and take digestive enzymes.

As for high blood pressure, that can be caused by a heavier weight on the body. For each pound of fat, the body makes a mile of blood vessels...which can put a strain on the body. And ginger has been shown to lower blood pressure similar to a popular blood pressure medication.

By the way, I have done fasts and have lost 2 lbs a day. So I would recommend reading about fasting too.

TracyH968
on 3/6/19 6:21 pm

My doc has told me for years that when your blood sugar is stable, you gain or retain weight. When your blood sugars are out of control, you lose weight. It's like a catch 22. You can't win.

PrivateCitizen
on 12/24/18 12:15 pm
Topic: RE: Need Help and Information

oops..I meant I found a LOCAL renal doc who approved my low carb (ketogenic) diet.

He was surprised how well I was doing after learning about Dr. Fung, and changing my eating.

I want to avoid any possibility of needing future dialysis, and with just one kidney I am more adamant than ever to protect it.

best wished.

PrivateCitizen
on 12/24/18 12:09 pm
Topic: RE: Need Help and Information

Hi from rainy N. CA. I began following the success of Dr. Jason Fung who treats obese and very sick diabetics. I had lost one kidney to cancer, was obese, and rising sugars every year. I finally found a renal doc who totally approved my low carb diet that lowered creatinine, and lost me weight too.

He has considerable information free online (he has a practice in Toronto CN) but is known all over the world now for helping patients reverse diabetic issues.

He has a book-i got it from our library: The Diabetes Code, which is technical, fascinating, and encouraging me to stay with Low carb, and choose one meal a day, then regular meals the next, and so so it's working for me to lose!- called intermittent fasting. My FBG came down to under 100 for the first time in years of just diet alone.

He talks about natural reversal of T2 almost immediately-weeks- after bariatric surgery, since you have NOT experienced that there must be some other complication affecting you.

The online FB group will have people in CA who may know of resources and docs.

Obesity Code Diet / Diabetes Code Diet (Dr Jason Fung) (there are a couple, the is the one I joined)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/474511529419087/

I know more doctors are coming to recommend a low carb diet for diabetics, at least you can explore this, and see if something jumps out to talk to your MD about.

contact me back-friend me here, if I can offer at least moral support i will. merry Christmas!

many videos on youtube-this is on T2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekqq6DE8vGE

mangoo
on 10/30/18 6:15 am - NY

A diabetes diet structured with three or more small meals daily is better than a diet plan that includes only one or two big meals. Large meals can cause blood sugar levels to surge, while eating smaller meals more frequently will help keep glucose levels lower after eating. Plus, a diabetes diet consisting of mini-meals spread through the day will help control hunger and calorie intake, possibly leading to faster weight loss.

Did you try to eat small portions but on a regular basis?

danmarc
on 10/29/18 7:50 am

Despite your concerns, you still look fabulous. I think attitude has a big role in it. You have a positive mindset and that will be your strength along the way.

ginabob1
on 9/4/18 4:46 pm - Modesto, CA
Topic: Need Help and Information

I had my RNY in 2008 and my Diabetes was never resolved and I had gotten my A1C down to 6.8. My worked changed insurance to kaiser who took me off my bydureon and all oral medication and put me on insulin. My A1c shot up to 9.8. Before Kaiser I had almost got down to my ideal weight. after Kaiser taking me off my meds and starting Insulin I shot back up to 234 (started at 290 and lowest weight was 165). My insurance changed again and I went back on my previous bydureon and a couple of meds and my a1c fell to 7.8 so my doctor kept adding until I am taking 5 oral medications and 2 injectables (1 weekly & insulin nightly) this has gotten my A1c down to 6.8 and my weight it down to 190, however my liver enzymes test are coming back really High (AST 212) ALT (311) and I was just released from the hospital with acute pancreatitis and a partial small intestine obstruction.I am feeling really defeated.

My question is, is there a diabetic doctor (IN California ) that specializes with patients who have had the RYN

I feel that my body is not metabolizing the medications properly and my doctor keeps adding meds that are starting to effect my liver. I am an RNY patient who is taking 7 different Medications.

Is there anyone out there with a similar experience? If so what was done to help

(deactivated member)
on 7/12/18 5:05 am
Topic: RE: Taking a stand against Diabetes

Maintaining and monitoring the BG is vital. Having a good anti-diabetic foods and practicing regular exercise play a vital role. We should know all about blood sugar levels - the ranges which help to identify the risks.

JustMe1960
on 6/24/18 6:32 pm - Cleveland, OH

I hear ya; I'm in the same boat. I've managed to bring down my H1AC to 7.1, only to have it shoot up again to 9.0 six months later. And that's with a change in diet and exercise everyday (at least 40 minutes of walking). My insurance company (Medical Mutual) is all for me having bariatric surgery, which makes me think that it would be a big benefit for my health. Insurance companies normally don't like parting with their cash, you know? But I'm still so torn about it all. The surgery seems so drastic, and the lifestyle change so enormous that I'm not sure if I can do it. Plus, all the potential complications. I don't know, it's just hard right now to figure this all out. Are you thinking about having the surgery?

MichelleS61
on 6/5/18 6:37 am - Lindsay, Canada
RNY on 02/26/18
Topic: RE: Type Two and Complications

I'm a type 2 and am still taking insulin 3 months out I'm down to 8-10 units with meals and 10 units Long acting at night plus metformin, I've had diabetes for 15 years. My A1C at one month post op was down to 6.0 and will be getting tested again, I'd reached the point where I was up to 40 units with meals and 50 units at night, so it's a big improvement, research shows that if you are 10+ year after diagnosis remission is less likely, but I'm still hoping.

Although my A1C's were pretty good usually around 6.5 to 7.0 the increasing amounts of insulin to keep it there were one of my major catalysts for having WLS. I know I'm getting healthier as my weight goes down, but know now I might still have to take all my meds.

57 - 6'0" - HW:288 SW:260 CW:185

TWH: Referral Aug. '16, Orientation - Nov. 30 '16, Surgeon Oct. 6 '17, Start Optifast Feb. 5'18 - Surgery Feb. 26'18

Opti -25; M1 -23; M2 -17; M3 -7; M4 -5; M5 -5; M6 -6; M7 -0; M8 -2; M9 -0; M10 -2; M11-0; M12-4;

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 157 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 484 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 825 views