Recent Posts

Greg M.
on 3/16/09 5:09 am - Cincinnati, OH
Topic: RE: What meds do you still take?
Melissa:

Sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble.  I can understand how frustrating it must be.  I am a Lap Band (realize) patient so I can't speak to RNY.  I will relay that I've heard a few people with Type II say that they went on insulin for a while to give their pancreas a break.  Many of the Type II drugs simply force you pancreas to secrete more insulin, eventually it just burns out.  I have never heard this from my doctor so it may not be true.  I would encourage you to discuss your options.  I'm pretty sure that Actos is one drug that does not stimulate your pancreas.  Let me know what you decide.  Best Regards,  Greg

Lapband 12/11/08 - Slip 6/16/09 - 2nd Slip & Removal 8/3/09...Sleeve 12/22/11

Irishcoda
on 3/16/09 3:35 am
Topic: Pre-Surgery Liquid Diet and Diabetes
I'm kind of wondering how my sugars are going to react.  When my husband had his DS, Dr. Greenbaum put him on protein shakes 3 times a day pre-op, nothing else.  I'm guessing he's going to do the same with me and I'll ask him at the appt on March 27.  I'm assuming that protein only shakes and nothing else is going to affect my sugars but I'm not sure how.  I wonder what I"ll be advised to do about my meds....?

(deactivated member)
on 3/16/09 2:37 am - Woodbridge, VA
Topic: RE: If you are Type 2 and considering WLS...

Weight and type 2 diabetes after bariatric surgery: systematic review and meta-analysis.

Buchwald H, Estok R, Fahrbach K, Banel D, Jensen MD, Pories WJ, Bantle JP, Sledge I.

Department of Surgery, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA. [email protected]

BACKGROUND: The prevalence of obesity-induced type 2 diabetes mellitus is increasing worldwide. The objective of this review and meta-analysis is to determine the impact of bariatric surgery on type 2 diabetes in association with the procedure performed and the weight reduction achieved.
METHODS: The review includes all articles published in English from January 1, 1990, to April 30, 2006.
RESULTS: The dataset includes 621 studies with 888 treatment arms and 135,246 patients; 103 treatment arms with 3188 patients reported on resolution of diabetes, that is, the resolution of the clinical and laboratory manifestations of type 2 diabetes. Nineteen studies with 43 treatment arms and 11,175 patients reported both weight loss and diabetes resolution separately for the 4070 diabetic patients in these studies. At baseline, the mean age was 40.2 years, body mass index was 47.9 kg/m2, 80% were female, and 10.5% had previous bariatric procedures. Meta-analysis of weight loss overall was 38.5 kg or 55.9% excess body weight loss. Overall, 78.1% of diabetic patients had complete resolution, and diabetes was improved or resolved in 86.6% of patients. Weight loss and diabetes resolution were greatest for patients undergoing biliopancreatic diversion/duodenal switch, followed by gastric bypass, and least for banding procedures. Insulin levels declined significantly postoperatively, as did hemoglobin A1c and fasting glucose values. Weight and diabetes parameters showed little difference at less than 2 years and at 2 years or more.
CONCLUSION: The clinical and laboratory manifestations of type 2 diabetes are resolved or improved in the greater majority of patients after bariatric surgery; these responses are more pronounced in procedures associated with a greater percentage of excess body weight loss and is maintained for 2 years or more.

PMID: 19272486 [PubMed - in process]

beebee03
on 3/16/09 1:58 am
Jill,

Hi. I Googled Byetta and GBS last night, hoping to find answers to exactly what you just wrote, but I couldn't find anything. Since the majority of diabetics who have RnY seem to no longer need any medication, I guess there hasn't been much research done for those of us who still do need some help with our glucose control.

Thank you,

Melissa
(deactivated member)
on 3/16/09 1:49 am - Woodbridge, VA

My understanding is that you don't want to take "extended release" versions of ANYTHING post-op because medications (like everything else) stay in your system for a much shorter period of time than pre-op. Your extended release meds will be extending medication right into the toilet!

I'm still pre-op, but I am taking metformin and Janumet (which is a combo Januvia and metformin). I haven't had any negative side effects from the Januvia.

With the Byetta, I'm not sure I fully understand how it slows the rate at which contents empty from the stomach. With the RNY, there is no longer a valve between the stomach and small intestines, so contents empty into the intestines freely and typically faster than pre-op. My guess, without researching exactly how Byetta slows the emptying of the somtach, is that the Byetts wouldn't have this effect on an RNY patient, but would still have the other effects of increasing insulin production in response to high blood glucose levels and suppressing glucose production from the liver.

beebee03
on 3/16/09 12:56 am
Greg,

Hi. Thank you for responding! I'm ashamed to say my last A1c was 10.9, up considerably from before surgery. It just doesn't make sense. I thought losing a lot of weight and drastically altering my eating would be the answer, but it hasn't been.

So, Byetta works for you post-RnY? Interesting. I had such an awful time the first 3 months on Byetta, but I had great glucose control, until my body adjusted. I no longer vomitted, and my numbers crept back up, but not as high as they've been since I was taken off oral meds post-RnY.

It's very frustrating!

Thank you,

Melissa
Greg M.
on 3/15/09 5:59 pm - Cincinnati, OH
Melissa: What is your A1C?  I have been off and on Januvia, I didn't think it was as effective as Byetta.  Byetta really helped control my hunger and my sugar.  Januvia is okay now that I have lost some weight, although the real sugar control comes from low carbs and lots of exercise.  Pre op I was on Actos 30, Byetta 5 X2, and Glyburide 1.5.  Post op I'm on Januvia 50 PRN, only 2 or 3 times per week.  Best of luck to you. Greg

Lapband 12/11/08 - Slip 6/16/09 - 2nd Slip & Removal 8/3/09...Sleeve 12/22/11

REDKAT42025
on 3/15/09 2:12 pm - BENTON, KY
Topic: RE: How many carbs?...X-post
The nutritionist told me to have 40gr carbohydrate w meals.  Also use the glycemic index.....pineapples bad. apples good,,,also check out glycemic loads, because that takes a serving into consideration and is more accurate per my nutritionist.  Everyone is right, you need to check multiple times to see what affects you.  Oatmeal is supposed to be good for you, but unless I had a lot of walking or work after breakfast to burn it off, my blood sugar would jump up.  Also anytime you eat a carbohydrate, be sure and have some protein, it helps keeping your sugar from spiking.
(deactivated member)
on 3/12/09 10:35 pm - Woodbridge, VA
Topic: RE: Low Sugar Crash - Emergency Treatment? x posted
Many RNYers, including those that never had any glucose/insulin issues prior to surgery, experience hypoglycemia after the RNY. If you ask about hypoglycemia on the RNY board (or the main board), you'll get quite a few responses!
beebee03
on 3/12/09 7:29 am
Topic: What meds do you still take?
I had RnY surgery on July 10th, and my recent A1c is much worse than the one I had prior to surgery. I'm pretty much at my goal weight. I'd like to lose a little more, but if I don't, that's fine. My doctor wants me to come in and discuss options.

For people like me whose diabetes didn't improve after surgery, what medications do you take? I've been on Lantus all along, but I stopped all oral meds while in the hospital. Prior to that, I also injected Byetta.

Is Byetta an option, or does slowing the rate the stomach empties post-RnY a bad idea? If you take Metformin, is it extended release or regular release? I've read that regular release can be especially hard on the stomach even when one's stomach isn't altered, but extended release doesn't work well for us.

I've heard negative things about Januvia, but there's negatives to any drug. Januvia is one of the few I've never tried.

I'd really appreciate any input anyone cares to share.

Thank you,

Melissa
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 153 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 481 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 822 views