ebonymc’s Posts

ebonymc
on 3/7/17 6:51 pm
ebonymc
on 2/21/17 6:00 pm
Topic: RE: Predisone
On February 21, 2017 at 3:15 PM Pacific Time, Deanna798 wrote:

Before I had surgery, I was having some serious issues with swelling and hives.  I was already struggling to get my sugars down, so my doctor was very hesitant to prescribe prednisone to help.  He gave me 7 pills but told me not to take them all right in a row, but to space them out when I really, really needed them.

As you probably know, prednisone can drastically raise blood sugar and can be very dangerous for someone who has diabetes.  I would only take it in the case where nothing else will work and the benefits outweigh the risks.

Yes, they did tell me to watch my B/S and they did become a lot higher but it was to be expected. I'm happy that I've been off for more than a week now. I'm feeling better in my hips and thighs but still just a little sore at times in my left thigh. B/S went back to the usual high but hopefully it will be a lot less after having surgery which is my main reason for getting sleeved.

ebonymc
on 2/5/17 8:01 am
Topic: RE: Predisone

Hello friends,  No one seems to be posting here. I am still considering having the sleeve in hopes of lowering my A1C levels and to stop/slow down the progression of this condition. I started having pain running up and down my left side from the hips down. Dr. said maybe sciatic nerve but think its stemming from my lower back. I was put on prednisone yesterday to use for one week. Have anyone done this before? If so, did you gain any weight during that time and did it help at all? 

ebonymc
on 12/27/16 12:20 pm
Topic: RE: Still Going Up (Januvia?)

Hey Everyone!  I visited my PCP today and she added a higher cholesterol medicine. I do happily report that my A1C has lowered nearly 2 points, but still remains too high. She has now also added Januvia.  Anyone take this med for their diabetes. Now I cant wait to have this surgery done. Even though I'm terribly afraid b/c of the acid reflux I've been hearing about, but I may eventually overcome that or it get better with antacids. I'm thinking that living with that may be better than living with the fear of diabetes complications.  Please Help!

ebonymc
on 12/27/16 11:44 am, edited 12/27/16 3:45 am
Topic: RE: What was your a1c before WLS?

Hi, I haven't had surgery yet either, but my A1C was 11.1  six months ago. my PCP put me on a new pill (well, she actually added) another pill and I saw her today and my A1C is now 9.3. I plan to have surgery soon.

ebonymc
on 7/29/16 9:47 am
Topic: RE: WLS to get diabetes back in control

This is good news to me. I'm tired of struggling with my blood sugars even more than with my weight. I'm considered a light weight so I am concerned, but I could also take off at least 60lbs in the process. I've just had another diabetes med added to the metformin that I take and B/S are down to on average around 150 in the A.M. only and much higher throughout the day and bedtime. I'm ready to go ahead with this now b/c I believe I'll be able to maintain a normal B/S once sleeved.  Thanks!

ebonymc
on 4/21/16 8:17 pm
On January 11, 2016 at 4:31 PM Pacific Time, Ifoundmywhy wrote:

I was diabetic, with an A1C of 9 when I went in for my RNY. I was taking 100mg Glucophage twice a day, and Lantus at night. The MORNING after my surgery, my fasting was 96. I have never looked back. The highest fasting I have gotten was 116. I am not taking ANY meds for my diabetes. I was told that the gold standard for controlled diabetes was RNY, so I went that route. I too was 216 when I started and 213 the day of surgery. I am about 2 months out and have lost 32 pounds. Go for it!

How are things going for you since your last post here. You really have inspired me about do RNY since our stats are/were so similar.

ebonymc
on 4/21/16 8:13 pm

That's so good to hear lking. those are the results that I hope to achieve. Since I was told that someone else here weighed the same as I do now and went for RNY, I'm having second thoughts again about the sleeve...UGH! so frustrating.

ebonymc
on 4/17/16 8:46 pm
On April 18, 2016 at 2:29 AM Pacific Time, NANNY13 wrote:

I had the RNY on 12/21/2015. The biggest motivation for me was the possibility of getting off my medications. My DR. took me off the metformin and Bydureon prior to surgery and I have had no issues since. It is like my body never remembered it used to have it. I feel amazing. I have my life back. The only regret if you can even call it that is that I did not have it done sooner!

I hear you Nanny13, 12/21 is a good date b/c it's my birthday..LOL.  Thanks for the inspiration I need it. 

ebonymc
on 1/14/16 7:40 pm
Topic: RE: aby type 1 diabetics that had rny gastric bypass and are now on pumps?

I was placed on insulin but only took it two nights b/c of how it was making me feel (sort of racy). I go back tomorrow to try something else

ebonymc
on 1/13/16 8:00 pm

my original Dr. did say that with RNY, He would be by-passing the part of the stomach that would be causing the diabetes.  In my earlier post when I said I'll be re-evaluated for something else, I'm meaning for some other blood sugar medication. I just don't want to be on any of it.

ebonymc
on 1/12/16 7:41 pm

Your reply is a god send to me. I was told by the nurse that I would be super skinny if I went that route. I know that having RNY would be better for diabetes, and it really should be my only concern right now. She really stressed me out by saying that. I'm so happy to hear that someone has gotten control of their diabetes. I told my Dr. maybe the sleeve, but I will discuss it again with him in 2 weeks. BTW I was put on insulin last week and only took it 2 nights. I felt as if it made me feel a little racy. I will be re-evaluated this week for something else.

ebonymc
on 11/29/15 6:34 pm

Yes, It is a small price to pay for a healthier life.  I'm glad you said that b/c I was thinking that earlier today. I would really push to have this surgery tomorrow if possible and I felt that medicine would control the reflux. That's why I'm asking for those who've had the sleeve about acid reflux. But yes, I would rather have that than to suffer serious complications from diabetes.

ebonymc
on 11/28/15 9:52 pm
On November 28, 2015 at 8:01 AM Pacific Time, SDenae wrote:

I am a diabetic who was taking Metformin, Farxiga, and Levemir (insulin) daily before surgery. The day I had my sleeve surgery, my doc took me off of the Metformin and Farxiga and cut my Levemir in half. I'm 9 weeks out now and I only use the Levemir when my sugars are high first thing in the morning. That's happening once or twice a week now. I think it's because I'm dipping too low at night and my body is over-correcting. I'm thinking about having 15g of carb before bedtime.

For reference, my A1c in July was 8.6 and my A1c on 10/13 (not even a month after surgery) was 6.8. I'd say it helped.

Also, I started my WLC's clinic in Feb and my A1c was 10.5 back then. Just losing the weight helps a lot.

Thanks, I really needed to hear that.  My A1C is 10.5 right now.  It helps to know that the sleeve could also put me into remission, I'm so afraid of living with acid reflux. I know how bad it was with the band.

ebonymc
on 11/25/15 8:03 pm

Hello! Has anyone struggled or are struggling with diabetes and contemplating WLS to help get control of your diabetes?  My weight is now 213 and my Dr. feels that losing 65lbs should put my diabetes into remission and allow me to control it from there. I just don't think that I could do that quickly enough through WW as he suggest. My band was removed a year ago and I've only gained back 10 lbs since then. I really do try at times but it's too hard for me. Please respond if it helped you or not. My next appointment with him is in 3 weeks.  As scared as I am, I am ready to set my date and just hope that it's not too late.

ebonymc
on 11/24/15 7:32 pm
Topic: RE: Type 2 thinking about RY surgery

Hi, our stats are nearly the same. I'm sorry about just now seeing your post, but I'm looking into weight loss surgery again myself.  I had the lap band in '09 and had it removed Aug.'2014.  I'm 5'2 with a BMI of 39.  I'm diabetic and had terrible reflux with the band, therefore, I need RNY and like you, I'm scared!  I need to get control and fast. Let me know if you have had surgery or still looking. Also, is the Byderuron injection helping?

ebonymc
on 12/26/14 11:10 pm
Topic: RE: Diabetic and Need Experience Help

Thanks so much for your honest reply. My A1c is going up every 3-4 months. It was at 6 but has elevated to 9.5 and I'm getting worried. I think I'm hesitating on this surgery because of all the negative talk that I hear about it. I know a lot has changed w/complications, but I still worry about which ones I my have. I also worry about losing too much and body image.  I am much smaller in the leg and thigh area and know that plastics will be needed for my tummy. I am now 60 and wonder if it's worth it. My daughter told my husband "why don't I just go ahead and live my life as is".  fortunately for me, I AM doing this so that I can continue to live my life.  You know, since writing out these words, I never realized that by having the surgery could actually do that for me. Even though I've heard it many times before.

ebonymc
on 12/21/14 4:33 am
Topic: RE: type 2 considering bypass

My A1C is a 9 so I'm ready to do this.  After 5 yrs with the band, my diabetes was out of control and remains out of control even though it was removed 5 months ago. I am a light weight going into this but I need help with my blood sugars. I've had too many family members to struggle with this before the end and I will try hard not to back out.  Pray for me!

ebonymc
on 12/21/14 4:09 am
Topic: RE: Diabetic and Need Experience Help

How has everyone been doing since these last posts? I am anticipating RNY soon and would love to hear from you and everyone whose going through this.  My diabetes is out of control and I will be doing it for that reason also. Please keep in touch!

ebonymc
on 12/21/14 2:45 am, edited 12/21/14 2:47 am
Topic: RE: Taking Metformin

I had the band for 5 years before I had it removed and I had always chewed it in half (ugh). I was told to do so. I swallowed with water quickly. I want to have the surgery soon b/c my A1C is at a 9 too. I was told that RNY may help better in resolving or lowering it. I'm a light weight and very afraid to have RNY, but I gotta do what I gotta do. You're in my prayers and keep me in yours too! We're in a win-lose LOSE situation

ebonymc
on 12/21/14 2:36 am
Topic: RE: Neuropathy

I don't have an answer but I wanted to know the same thing. I am having problems with pain in my feet especially upon standing on them in the A.M.  I am considered a light weight but will get the surgery in hopes of it helping me with my diabetes. I take metformin as well. @ Katherine, I would love to get as much info as possible.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 157 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 484 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 825 views