10 hr shifts???

NascarFan #29
on 7/19/06 10:07 pm - ME
I am curious if anyone works 10 hour shifts and how your rotation goes--as far as how many days off/on?
Dinka Doo
on 7/23/06 1:29 pm - Medford, OR
Hi Jill - We've been on 10 hour shifts predominantly for the last 10+ years. Our needs vary by shift, but we've been doing 4-10's from the time we had 10 or 12 dispatchers up to now when we have 21-22. Our shifts are as follows - Day shift: 6a-4p, 7a-5p, 8a-6p, 10a-8p Night shift: 4p-2a, 5p-3a, 6p-4a, 8p-6a We all work 4-10's and have 3 days off in a row. We have set days on and off and bid by seniority every 6 months, however we may go back to every 4 months again soon. In order to effectively cover our shifts, there are a few shifts that have 2 hr different start times. They try to make it only once in the week and make the last shift of that person's week one that starts 2 hours early so they have a longer weekend rather than shortened one. That is what they aim for but don't always accomplish. Generally we run a minimum of 5 dispatchers on one shift, but we have some days with 6 dispatchers and on the weekends 7. These taper off as the morning draws on, losing 2 usually at 2am, one at 3am and one at 4am, leaving 2 dispatchers from 4a-6a, then dayshift has 2 dispatchers from 6a-7a. Our shifts generally mimick that of the troopers so when they are scheduled on & off, we are scheduled to come on and off about the same times. We have also played with mixed shifts where most are 4-10's and a couple are 5-8's. No one seemed to like those shifts at all. With 4-10's you could work a day of your weekend almost every week and still feel like you got a weekend off. Hope that helps, let me know if you have further questions. Dina
Lexa321
on 7/26/06 11:27 pm - weston, FL
i do 8 hours shifts... the only time that that changes... if we have a hurrricane... then we are on lock down for 72 hrs.... then they put us on 12 hr shifts for 3x weeks...
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone Still Here??
CathyO911 · 0 replies · 433 views
OMG!! A dispatcher board...
aemusevi · 1 replies · 787 views
Hi Everyone
CMFitzpatrick · 0 replies · 384 views