skiddish dog

pdxgirl
on 5/17/06 1:15 am - portland, OR
hello friends. i just recently read a post re: a skiddish dog. my 8mos old lab/ blue heeler mix is also a bit skiddi**** occurs with most all strangers; and usually males as well. he is GREAT with other dogs and people he has had time to get to know. i just moved into a new house with new roommates about a month ago and he is finally becoming a LITTLE better around them. i have to admit that after i adopted him (when he was 6 mos old) i was in the process of moving and exposed him to a lot of travel and different environments for about 2 weeks. with those he knows, he is amazing with. he is not aggressive so to say, just cowers away from new folks and barks. we live in the city now, and i am trying to get him accustomed to the business and such.... we go on frequent runs. i have read up that giving strangers dog treats to give him works. any other tips i would love to have. i do understand this is a part of his personality... i just want to do what i can to help as well. thanks!!
Cynthia T.
on 5/25/06 1:42 pm - IN, CO
Red/blue heelers are hearding dogs. You are their "sheep" He will not be overly friendly with new "sheep" I have a red heeler, he does not like guys, and he takes a while to get used to new women, but not long, little kids are automaticlly accepted. In his mind we are his responsibility, and new people are just more "work". So he is not aggressive (unless they seem to pose a threat to us) with guys, just not warm. Time, treats, and time is all that work. It also helps with my dog if you just ignore him, pay attention to the people in the room, like they are just part of the "flock". Eventually they get it, but they are the most bull headed of breeds. (stubborn not stupid) Also it helps if your dog has a particular toy (mine will chase a ball for a bit) to have the other person play toss. Or whatever. Be real casual. Like you really could not care if the dog likes the stranger or not. If you make a big deal, they get more skiddish. Mostly, I just accepted that my dog will only warm up to the "flock", not anyone they are not exposed to very often. I have a second dog (see "ball dog" post) that is more friendly with outsiders (aka anyone with a ball) I wanted my second dog to be small (like toy dog size) so I would have a cuddle buddy and then my cattle dog as a friendly protector type dog. But the second dog, grew and grew and grew. Now I have two big ole boys. *sigh*
tleach52
on 7/1/06 10:48 am - Pembroke, MA
Hi, we adopted a dog (he is a sato - PR street dog) that was very fearfull to people and also other dogs. What helped with ours was joining a obidence class(es) at our local shelter. It gave our "Buddy" some social skills and interaction with different people and dogs. Agility classes also build his confidence . Marleen
Most Active
Recent Topics