anal fissure

Beth P.
on 6/24/09 6:42 am - Dayton, OH
I have one myself so I can literally feel your pain.  i finally gave in and went to the colorectal doc and he said it was a tiny tear in the anal wall.  It is embarrassing to go that is for sure but I would go sooner rather than later.  He gave me some ointment and some proctofoam both have helped immensely.  I can't remember the name of the cream off the top of my head but its is a prescription. 

If I were you I would make an appointment with a rectal doc or at the very least go see your PCP she/he can give you something to help ease the pain.

Oh yeah he also said soak in a warm bath to help ease some of the pain.

Get better soon.

Beth

Georgina R.
on 6/24/09 8:03 am - Bakersfield, CA
Thanks, Beth!  I've made an appointment for tomorrow.  Today I'm just lying around and hoping the pain gets better.  I hope I get some good prescription stuff at my appointment!
vitalady
on 6/24/09 7:01 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
just go. they can give you the right topical for the job (be sure it IS a fissure) and it soothes immediately. I also use neosporin. Any more, i mix the rx + neosporin on paper and apply together so I feel like I'm sorta protecting the open wound from icky things. LOL

Um, if they can see it, no fingers required!

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Georgina R.
on 6/24/09 8:06 am - Bakersfield, CA
I've got my appointment tomorrow and I'm hoping for relief!  And I'm REALLY hoping he can see it and doesn't need to use his finger!

Thanks!
SameButDifferent
on 6/24/09 10:41 am - NY, NY
I highly recommend using Balmex before and after each and every BM. Seriously.

Warm soaks and sitting on a microwavable moist heating pad after BMs (just dont burn yourself). The heat is really soothing.

Do not use any soap or body wash on your bottom. Get a perianal wash called Balneol and wash that area only with that (CVS had a generic of Balneol)

I used all of the Rx methods recommended by 2 diff Drs and the advise offered here and suffered with this for 3 years after my DS til I discovered a new colo-rectal Dr and he told me this and it has saved my ass,,,,literally!!!!

Feel better- I know that fissure pain is true misery.
Georgina R.
on 6/24/09 12:23 pm - Bakersfield, CA
I will look these things up!  Thank you!

I actually came home today from work because of the pain.  My appointment tomorrow can't come soon enough!
Heidi W.
on 6/24/09 11:18 am
OK   Here is my experience,  I had an anal Fissure and it was more like a lump - did not itch....  Are you sure it isn't a hemorrhoid?  I had minor surgery and had them put me out for it (had a choice)  was less humiliating that way.....  Had the surgery and never had any problems after that............  Just got to suck it up and have them take care of it.

Working on getting rid of my 40lb regain!
HW 265 - SW 248 - LW 148 - CW 172.5 - GW 148
Nothing Tastes As Good As Thin Feels!

Georgina R.
on 6/24/09 12:25 pm - Bakersfield, CA
I don't have any lumps that I can feel...just pain when I have a BM.  But what do I know, right?  I see the doctor tomorrow though, thankfully.
Amber T.
on 6/24/09 12:00 pm - Bloomfield, IN
The anal fissure has been the EASIEST thing in the world to take care of but I did go to the doctor.  It was considered surgery, I guess because I was put out, but I was only out a couple of minutes, literally.  The procedure was something like 10 minutes.  They injected botox around the anus which allows the sphencter (spelling?) muscle to relax enough to allow the fissure to heal.  I had NO pain with the fissure after this procedure was done.  NONE.  I had two fissures and both are almost completely healed.  And hey with the botox my wrinkles down there I'm sure are gone!!! hehe.  Now the fistula I was dealing with is another story for another time.....

Good luck and don't be afraid or embarrassed to go to the doctor.  Yours is not the first anything they will see. 

Amber

Georgina R.
on 6/24/09 12:28 pm - Bakersfield, CA
This is really reassuring!  Thank you, Amber!

I'm going to the doctor tomorrrow and frankly, this hurts so much I don't care about being embarrassed anymore!  Lol.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 253 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 735 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views