Is the DS destined to be the red-headed stepchild of WLS?

(deactivated member)
on 1/28/10 11:23 am
My cousin had the RNY several years ago. Now she is experiencing major issues with anemia, hypoglycemia and seizures, etc. After exhausting several local options, she flew out to the Mayo clinic, where they are doing all sorts of special testing on her. While she was meeting with the bariatric surgeon there, she noticed that there were diagrams of the various surgeries on the wall, but the DS wasn't there. 

Out of curiosity, she inquired about the DS, because she knows I had it. The surgeon there told her that the DS was reserved for people who have to lose "incredible amounts of weight". He also told her that the RNY is still the gold standard, and that the DS has "many more" malabsorption issues than the RNY. 

I'm not entirely surprised, since I know Mayo doesn't do the DS, but it is incredibly frustrating. It makes me wonder if the DS is ever going to gain traction as a viable and more widespread alternative. Why the hell can't the Mayo Clinics of the world get on board? The studies are out there, the results are out there!

Do you guys believe the DS will ever make headway in this area, or is it destined to remain a lesser known, seldom understood procedure? Is the DS Betamax and the RNY is VHS?

Jenna

nursevil
on 1/28/10 11:35 am - Tuttle, OK

It's all about the Benjamins.  If weight loss surgeons could make as much money doing DS as RNY, the surgeons that could and would do DS would be lined up around the block. 

There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. Robert A. Heinlein
HW:453, BMI 63, SW:452, BMI 63 GW:200, BMI 27.9

jewel506
on 1/28/10 11:42 am - Houston, TX
 I think there is a LOT of truth in what 'evil nurse' just said!!!

At 'the seminar' last night, I heard the same bu*&%$t!!  "Only reserved for the super MO".  This is the office where my doctor practices, and I'm not too sure he will do the DS on me.  I am "only" 44 BMI.

The only answer is money.  Takes more time and more training......

Grrrrr!
Julie
ladeechef
on 1/29/10 3:29 am - Manassas, VA
I had my DS done and I'm a "light weight."  It is total BS that it's only for the super MO!! 

Highest Weight Pre RNY - 342
Lowest Weight Post RNY - 167

Highest Weight from Regain - 236
Surgery Weight  - 222

Goal Weight (I think) - 145

First Goal - Get back under 200, 2nd Goal - Get to weight I was when I met my husband (180), 3rd Goal - Get to post RNY lowest weight (167), Ultimate Goal - Get to 145 or less!!!  Baby steppin' it all the way!!  I WILL be victorious!!

(deactivated member)
on 1/28/10 11:47 am
I do think that the money thing is a factor, and I think that concerns about patient compliance are another factor. I also don't discount the power of inertia, especially in institutional environments.

I guess I just hope that if enough of us pay it forward, there might be some momentum in spite of the obstacles. However, I become increasingly cynical about this possibility when so many surgeons, even at reputable places like Mayo, flat-out lie about the DS.

Jenna
Sarah B.
on 1/28/10 11:58 am - Plymouth Meeting, PA
Very interesting....Glad I got my Beta! It is extremely frustrating to me when doctors disuade patients from the DS through misinformation. Earlier today I was rewatching the PBS documentary "Fat: What No One Is Telling You." And they have this young man with a BMI of 70 a lap band. A friggin' lap band! BMI of 70! His surgeon was counseling him that "taking away the hunger takes away the obesity." My ass. That guy needs serious malabsorbtion. I couldn't get over it. He seemed to do ok with it early on, losing 170lbs at the time of filming. But he was still clearly morbidly obese and who knows where he's at now. Sigh. 
Century Club: 3.14.10 ~ ONEderland 4.28.10 ~ Normal BMI & 150 Pounds Lost: 7.25.10

(HW 317 / SW 301 / GW 169 / CW 144 & LOVING my DS! / 5' 9")
RainyDayWoman
on 1/28/10 1:40 pm - Fridley, MN
On January 28, 2010 at 7:58 PM Pacific Time, Sarah B. wrote:
Very interesting....Glad I got my Beta! It is extremely frustrating to me when doctors disuade patients from the DS through misinformation. Earlier today I was rewatching the PBS documentary "Fat: What No One Is Telling You." And they have this young man with a BMI of 70 a lap band. A friggin' lap band! BMI of 70! His surgeon was counseling him that "taking away the hunger takes away the obesity." My ass. That guy needs serious malabsorbtion. I couldn't get over it. He seemed to do ok with it early on, losing 170lbs at the time of filming. But he was still clearly morbidly obese and who knows where he's at now. Sigh. 
This was that young Arab-American dude who did radio programs, right?  I remember seeing or hearing an interview with him (maybe it was in that docu or it was on NPR, I'm not sure) and it sounded like he would just overeat with his band and puke excess and lost his weight that way.  It was so sad - he really needed bariatric surgery but I think he was maybe not mature enough for a malabsorptive surgery.  Maybe a sleeve would have helped him?  Anyway, it bummed me out.  And I hate all these shows and pieces that never even mention the DS!

I was surprised to see several blurbs about DS on Dr. Oz's website and they didn't completely slam it - but I don't think Dr. Oz knows the DS has a restrictive component.  Glad he didn't perform my surgery.
Lilypie - (SzbI)
Sarah B.
on 1/29/10 8:37 am - Plymouth Meeting, PA
Yep, the young kid! I also would have doubted his maturity in handling a malsorbtive surgery, but he was so significantly heavy that the lab band just seemed like such a travesty. Then again, he was mature enough to go against the wishes of his family in having any surgery at all and taking the step he felt was best for him. At least a sleeve would have been better than the band, for sure! I HATE that nothing mentions the DS. Even the company I work for (a sleep lab) has an info sheet in the lobby about "Bariatric Surgery" that doesn't mention the DS at all, just band & RNY. It's depressing.
Century Club: 3.14.10 ~ ONEderland 4.28.10 ~ Normal BMI & 150 Pounds Lost: 7.25.10

Blank Out
on 1/29/10 12:42 am
 Takes away the hunger????  Lap band people still have tons of hunger!  That is one of the biggest complaints about it!   Don't you love how even docs are perpetuating the mis-information?
Sarah B.
on 1/29/10 8:46 am - Plymouth Meeting, PA
Yep, so annoying! And this doc was one who had a band himself. Guess it fixed the hunger for him.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 361 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views