Vita Lady's "UNconstipation plan"

beemerbeeper
on 11/20/10 7:30 am, edited 11/20/10 11:41 am - AL
Please scroll down one post to Major Mom's post to read VitaLady's UNconstipation plan.

Edited per VitaLady's request.

MajorMom
on 11/20/10 7:39 am - VA
As per VitaLady

I had chronic constipation for 11 years. I tried: more fiber, less fiber, soluble fiber, insoluble fiber, no fiber, both fibers, stool softeners, Smooth Moves & Correctol teas and Metamucil wafers, together, apart, more water, less water, cut out anything bu****er (and protein), senna, cascara sagrada, everything one could possibly try until I was basically dependent on enemas for 3 yrs.

Miralax helped the stool be passable. It was rx and finally became generic, so went from $80 for 3 months to $20 for 3 months. Now it is OTC, but is about $8 for 5-6 servings. If you can get the rx, it is much cheaper, safe, daily, for life, according to my GI doc.

The stool softeners are store brand equal to Colace, not PERI-colace.

Word was that magnesium citrate was such a great thing. This is pills, not the green bottle, so I tried it and nothing happened, and so I kept increasing it. What DID happen is that my foot and leg cramps ceased. So, I kept doing that and tried magnesium oxide. This is small, cheap, found anywhere, like drug stores. And finally, it worked. Mine are 500 mg and I take 2.

My final formula:
1 serving MiraLax (rx) *
4 stool softeners at night
1 mag ox with lunch, 1 with dinner

In the morning, hot beverage first thing on empty gut

This has worked for several years yrs now.

* MiraLax was rx only until the end of 2007, and is now generic by rx. The original name brand is available at drug stores at about $20 for a large bottle. You might want to try one first, taken daily, at about the same time. If it solves the problem, then ask your doc for rx. It is NOT a laxative. It is safe, daily, taken for life, per 4 doctors I've asked. It was a pediatrician who introduced me to it. My rx plan allows me to have 6 of those big bottles every 3 months for $20. Check with your doc and your insurance to see if it's beneficial to buy it by rx. BTW, my doc writes for 2 servings per day, because they might SAY there are..

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

MollyBH
on 11/20/10 9:13 am - Appomattox, VA
Thanks for this thread.  I bookmarked it for when I need it.

Molly

HW 255  SW 247  CW 155  GW 150

_Leslie_
on 11/20/10 9:24 am - Franklin, WI
bookmarked and hope i dont need it!!

448|180|199   
5'10"  268 lbs gone!!
                     SW  CW  GW   

Duodenal Switch                                      
                                   Surgery Date: July 30, 2010                      

baylady35310
on 11/20/10 9:50 am - Millsboro, DE
I hope I never have to use this but book marked and have it in the future, thanks so much for sharing!!! I am haing my DS on 12/1 waiting for insurance approval on revison to DS from RNY.
/1
KimberlyHeidi
on 11/20/10 10:24 am - VA
 Bookmarking too hope I dont need it as well
MarciRenee
on 11/20/10 11:32 am - IA
I've had similar problems...and found that copious amounts of heavy whipping cream in protein coffee also help things along!

I do mag citrate and mag oxide with each calcium dose, 1 dose miralax a day, and 4 stool softeners at night.  Plus a LOT of heavy whipping cream.

Marci       
vitalady
on 11/20/10 11:34 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Um, could you call it the UNconstipation plan? LOL

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

beemerbeeper
on 11/20/10 11:39 am - AL
LOL...You GOT it!

vitalady
on 11/20/10 11:45 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
LOL! You DID it!

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 250 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 734 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views