Day 1- carb detox

P. Poster
on 12/14/10 9:57 pm
 I have GOT to kick the carbs.  Yesterday was pure indulgence of the worst kind.  I've been paying for it since about 11pm last night, and have been up since 5am this morning with awful intestinal distress.  I also know the carbs have gotten out of control, and it is 1. slowing my weight loss, 2. setting me up for failure, 3. causing me to have a lot more gas than I want, 4. making me feel like a failure and allowing me to beat myself up emotionally/mentally again and 5. snowballing out of control.  SO- they've got to go. 

I need help, accountability and support.  I KNOW why I do it- I always excuse myself and say "this one cookie, piece of pizza, roll, piece of candy, desert, whatever- won't hurt".  And it wouldn't, if I kept it to ONE, but I don't.  I've tried to limit myself to "special occasions", but I can find a reason in every day for it to be "special".  And, I'm an emotional carb binger, whenever I'm sad, frustrated, angry, stressed, bored- I go right for the carbs.  It wouldn't be so bad if I could limit how much of this crap I can eat, but to be honest, with the fairly loose sleeve I have, I can still pile away the carbs in amounts that are purely scary (like 2 whole pieces of a large pizza, 10 cookies in one sitting, an entire 6" sub with roll, ect).  It's like it was preop, and I KNOW where that got me...  And it's not just one "meal" in the day I have been doing this- there have been useless carbs filling my plate at every "feeding" for some time now.  I still get in ALL of my protein (at least 100g) & fluids (at least 100oz), so I had, again, been "OKing" the carbs...  Well, it's NOT OK!  Not now.  Not while I'm still in the "rapid weight loss" phase.  My "rapid loss" has slowed to MAYBE 5lbs a month...  I still have 40lbs to go to goal.  I am almost 7 months out.  This is NOT OK!

So, I'm kicking the carb demon to the curb.  My plan today is to have NOTHING but protein shakes and protein/fat snacks (cheese, nuts, summer sausage, egg salad, ect).  Does anyone have any tips, suggestions (for food or otherwise) that I can use to power through this and get ahold of my demons?  And, if anyone wants to join me, or just kick my ass daily- all the better :)

Thanks!
mspppants
on 12/14/10 10:03 pm - Leicester, NC
ok, I am with you for today.  we can kick each other asses.  I'm even going to a special lunch today, no matter, no desserts.

so, you have to report to ME.  that should scare the **** out of you, much like overindulging on carbs will do.

strategy is:  have plenty of easy to reach protein.  splurge on a special cheese.  make your holiday "treats" music, wrapping presents.  put a cut up apple with cinnamon and cloves and cover it in water, simmer it on the stove to make the house smell nice (unless it will make you hungry). 

on your mark, get set, GO

nan

MarciRenee
on 12/14/10 10:14 pm - IA
Are you SURE you're ready for this, sweets? 

Good luck girls!!
Marci       
mspppants
on 12/14/10 10:28 pm - Leicester, NC
you STFU!!

MarciRenee
on 12/14/10 10:38 pm - IA
No!!  Make Me!!
Marci       
P. Poster
on 12/14/10 11:27 pm
 Awesome!  And yes, slightly terrifying!  Thanks Nan :)  I'll give you my report at the end of the day.  You are the best!
girlygirl1313
on 12/14/10 10:21 pm - Davidson, NC
 It appears a lot of this started with Halloween candy and has snowballed.  Research alternatives to satisfy your sweet tooth, like super dark chocolate, Eggface's, protein cake, inventing your own protein snack bar.

Since it's Christmas time, fill your fridge with fun foods like a cheese ball, cream cheese dips, little smokies.  Have fun getting back to low carb.  If it's not fun, the chances of success are lowered IMO.

www.christmas-cookies.com/recipes/lowcarb.html

and then really fun stuff like this....  (you could sub out the sugar alcohol for a sweetener that agrees with you)

OW-CARB RUM BALLS

Low-Carb Rum Balls

Low Carb Chocolate Rum Balls Ingredients:

1 cup almond flour 
1/2 cup cocoa powder 
2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
2 tablespoons powdered erythritol (a sugar alcohol)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons rum 
1/2 cup Splenda granular

Low Carb Chocolate Rum Balls Method:

Mix all dry ingredients together in bowl. Add vanilla and liquor. If the artifical sweetener is liquid and concentrated, add it to the liquor. Add the liquid slowly and mix until it all comes together. Roll into 1 inch size balls.

The flavors will mellow over the next few days. Store in refrigerator or cool place. Carbs will depend on the serving size. 17 rum balls will get you exactly 1 gram of effective carbohydrate per ball.

P. Poster
on 12/14/10 11:26 pm
 Yep, Halloween definitely was a turning point.  Ugh.  It has shown me the true power carbs can have and it makes me sick.  The recipe you posted looks tasty, and I have everything I need to make them.  Will be working on them today :)  Thanks!
P. Poster
on 12/15/10 12:28 am
 I'm not a huge rum fan, and I didn't have the dry erythritol- so in place of those two, I used SF Peppermint syrup.  Hope they turn out OK.  I just popped them in the fridge to set up.  As I was doing so, I realized I could have used cream cheese in place of the butter as well.  Will try that next time.  Thanks again!
yorkieGal
on 12/14/10 10:21 pm - Clermont, FL
I've been doing my carb detox since last week and it has worked a treat - I have lost the 7lbs I put on with the stress eating, my tummy is more quiet and the gas is like a normie now!
My tips, make sure you have a ton of good stuff to nibble on. I make some kind of hot dip in the evening nad dip pork rinds in it as i am a night time muncher. Make some holiday fluff (I made some choc peppermint), make some flourless PB cookies I also use these as a crust with Beckys faux cheesecake) keep somethin like that in the fridge for the munchies. I find first few days are the worst then you start to feel much better
I am with you!! ON todays menu
B - scrmabled eggs witha ton of cream cheese and shredded cheese, coffee
L - extra meaty spaghetti sauce witha  ton of shredded cheese
S - chicken crispy club from mcdonalds (only half bun)
D - boneless country ribs baked in oven and some green beans smothered in garlic butter
S - some fage yoghurt or holiday fluff and maybe a "candy cane protein hot cocoa), Sf swiss miss, protein powder, H&H , squirt of peppermint whipped cream (Target) and a sf candy cane

Have a good day sweetie, we're here behind you!!

Yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 358 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 134 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1050 views