Medic Alert Bracelet - yes or no?
kddub · 3 replies · 75 views
Day 8 Post Op! Woohoo!
AngelnChains · 4 replies · 71 views
Most Active

pain on left hand side of back, just above waist

yorkieGal
on 12/28/10 12:15 pm - Clermont, FL
Hi Guys, I was just talking to my mom on the phone tellingher about the pain i have had since xmas eve. Pain is on left hand side, just above my waist and kind of wraps around to the front. it is a nagging pain, but strong enough that I am seriously considering going to the urgent care centre tonight on my way home from the store.
My mom started to worry that it is something kidney related as I feel so out of sorts with it. No high fever with it, but i feel nauseaus (but I put that down to taking extra strength tylenol - ever since my leak episode painkillers upset my stomach). Pain is not getting any better despite resting it for the last 2 days andputting a heat pad on it etc.
Anyone got any thoughts? I've never had kidney problems or stones and I dont have my gallbladder.
I think this terror stems from my leak episode, I automatically panic when anything is wrong and worry it is somehow DS related! I wonder if this ever goes away??

thanks

Yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

Renee2007
on 12/28/10 12:17 pm - Central, FL
My first thought was a kidney stone. I would go and have it checked out, Nikki. They can determine if you have a stone or not. From the area that you describe the pain being in it definitely sounds like it's kidney related. I hope you feel better and keep us updated!

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

Elena22
on 12/28/10 12:23 pm
Yeah, have it checked out, and let us know if it's DS related or not.

I'm pre-op, but I had a Kidney infection once and the pain was similar to what you described.
yorkieGal
on 12/28/10 12:26 pm - Clermont, FL
Hey Renee, just what I DON"T need right now lol!! I had a thought just now, my patio doors have to have the roller replaced and it has been real stiff with the cold weather. As you can imagine, with the yorkie girls, I open that door a million times a day - wonder if all that pulling has pulled a muscle in my side?? I will go by the urgent care tonight though and get something stronger for the pain .
what other symptoms would i have if it were a kidney stone?? wouldnt I be writhing around with pain? I thought the pain was indescribable with a stone??
I guess we'll see what the doc says eh??

Yorkie x

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

Renee2007
on 12/28/10 12:32 pm - Central, FL
I think the pain and sometimes the nausea that comes with it depends on how much it's moving and trying to pass. When it's clogging ducts and such it's going to wreak havoc. If it is in fact a stone yours might just be starting to try and move out of the kidney. Those passageways are narrow and even a small stone is going to cause some pain even if it's not catastrophic. I have heard several people describe it as a constant dull ache while other experience the severe pain. I think it just depends on the location. If it's not a stone and just a muscle strain then you'll at least get some muscle relaxers to take the edge off.

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

yorkieGal
on 12/28/10 12:35 pm - Clermont, FL
Ooohh muscle relaxers sound good right about now...I can feel my back agreeing with me too!!lol  I'll let you know what the urgent care doc says....although I have limited faith in them on the whole!
I sure hope it is a muscle strain and not a stone thats for sure!!

Yorkie x

BlackLeatherRain
on 12/28/10 1:02 pm - Wallis & Futuna
When my DH had his stones, only one thing I could do would relieve the pain, and it would likely help if you have a muscle strain, too - I would wet a hand towel thoroughly, squeeze it out until it was thoroughly damp, and then microwave it for about 40-60 seconds.  It would be painful to touch, so that then gets put in a BIG fluffy towel and rolled or folded up.  The heat radiates from the microwaved towel, and the fluffy towel protects you from skin burns.  He would then lie on that in bed, positioned just under the area that was causing him pain.
Less concerned about fitting into the world - your world, that is, 'cause it doesn't really matter any more. None of it really matters any more. Yes, I am alone, but then again I always was as far back as I can tell. I think maybe it's because you were never really real to begin with. I just made you up to hurt myself... and it worked.  Yes, it did! - Only, NIN

yorkieGal
on 12/28/10 1:14 pm - Clermont, FL
Ooohh BLR that sounds good!! I have been using one of those electric heat pads but then someone else told me that I shouldnt put heat on it, but ice!! That is SO not going to happen around here I can tell ya!!lol
thaks for the tip, might give that a go tonight when I am watching TV!!
Yorkie xx

jandbmama
on 12/28/10 1:14 pm - Frederick, MD
DS on 01/24/11 with
My thought was kidney infection - I had one a few years ago and this is how it presented too.   Hope you get some relief soon!
Becky
yorkieGal
on 12/28/10 1:16 pm - Clermont, FL
Guess I thought I would have some kind of fever or chills with a kidney infection? I do feel kind of rough but have put that down to having the constant nausea and not eating very well over the last few days.
I guess we'll find out sooner or later whats going on!!

Yorkie x

kirmy
on 12/28/10 3:45 pm - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
Is the pain constant or spasmodic?  Does it hurt to depress?  Do you have a fever or chills or nausea?  It could be these things:

1. a kidney stone and or infection
2. peritonism from an infection in your peritoneal cavity...secondary to a leak
3. a pulled muscle
4. an ovarian cyst where are you in your cycle?
5. a partial bowel obstruction
6. a fart waiting to happen

Soooo without being examined you'll not know....and if I were you I'd want to know now rather than later!!! Keep an eye on your temperature and if it starts going up get your arse to A&E!

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
Larissa P.
on 12/28/10 6:19 pm - Denton, TX
Revision on 07/08/10 with
Oh, what is the A&E? Is it like an American Emergency Room? Cuz here, A&E is a TV channel that shows classic movies. :)
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
yorkieGal
on 12/29/10 7:29 am - Clermont, FL

Hey Kirms, the pain is actually spasmodic in that it gets worse for a while then eases off (although the area remains tender). It seems to help when some one rubs it and i put aheat pad on it although if you press down on the area it is tender. I dont have a high temperature although feel a bit icky and nauseas (I have put that down to the painkillers, they always upset my stomach for some reason, my mum has the same problem).
Cycle is pretty much in the middle I think...Never had any female problems before. The pain doesnt feel like it did when I had my leak before. It has been over 18 months since I had a problem with my leak...the doc thought it had healed over...when I had that I had a raging temp, had difficulty breathing and felt like death warmed up.
Pooping has been less although I put that down to my eating alot less as I have been feeling crappy. I had my usual constitutional this morning though!lol
I am managing on OTC pain killers at the moment and trying to limit them as they make my nausea worse and then I dont want to eat which is not good!!
I will get a digital thermometer on the way home from work and keep an eye on the temp and if it goes up in an alarming way I'll get myself to the A&E or Urgent care centre quick smart!
What do you think??

Yorkie x

amccu18007
on 12/28/10 1:20 pm - Newark, DE
DS on 07/26/10 with
Sounds like how my kidney stones started. It was a dull backache for me on the "flank-like" part of my back. I think that I would go and at least get it checked out.
  Amanda
SW 269    CW 135.6  GW 140    

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 12/28/10 5:33 pm
The placement of the pain makes me think kidneys too, and I've had so many stones, and will tell you that the size and position of the stone can make a huge difference in the pain. It can be a small niggling annoyance, or mind bending. You want a Dr to determine what it is anyway, but if it is a ks, there are ways to deal with them before getting to a horribly painful place, so don't wait. Also, if it is a ks, the pain will not leave for good, and when it comes back it is always worse. It's awful to sit in the emergency room like that, so don't be a procrastinator like me, it's just not worth it. I hope you get an answer and feel better.
P. Poster
on 12/28/10 6:56 pm
 I'd go get it checked out hun.  I know, probably the LAST thing you have the time or emotional energy for now, but, it could be several things from rather benign and "wait and see" to serious.  Abdominal pain can play host to many things, and it's never one to brush off, even as a nonop.  I hope you feel better soon!