DS to RNY revision

Ladytazz
on 1/14/11 12:54 pm
You know, this sad case is a human. I do have feelings. I realize it makes you feel all superior because you didn't choose the RNY like those other idiots but you could at least act like you are compassionate human beings instead of the cold, heartless people you appear to be.
One of the reasons I failed was for lack of support. My fault because of my shame at regaining. This reaction is exactly what I was afraid of and why I stayed away from support for so long when it could have helped me. I hope it doesn't scare off other people who may be having problems from seeking support.
Kerry J.
on 1/14/11 1:26 pm - Santa Clara, UT
This is a very sad case, but it doesn't make me feel superior, just sorry for you. Your problems are not from lack of support, they are from your lack of due diligence in learning all you should have about your original WLS, the DS and now the revision you have to RNY.

Don't confuse lack of support with your lack of study and your ignorance about the weight loss surgeries you chose. All the "support" in the world won't help you if you don't learn for yourself what you need to do and then do it.

I am sorry I hurt your feelings, that was not my intent. I wanted to make a point to newbies and new post ops about how important it is to really know what you need to do and to really know and understand what your chosen WLS requires of you so you can be healthy.

You have a great opportunity here, to use your experience to teach people to advocate for themselves and learn for themselves what they need to do and to never just take what your doctor says as gospel.

Again, my apologies for hurting your feelings, I really am sorry about that.

Kerry

MsBatt
on 1/15/11 2:00 am
On January 14, 2011 at 9:26 PM Pacific Time, Kerry J. wrote:
This is a very sad case, but it doesn't make me feel superior, just sorry for you. Your problems are not from lack of support, they are from your lack of due diligence in learning all you should have about your original WLS, the DS and now the revision you have to RNY.

Don't confuse lack of support with your lack of study and your ignorance about the weight loss surgeries you chose. All the "support" in the world won't help you if you don't learn for yourself what you need to do and then do it.

I am sorry I hurt your feelings, that was not my intent. I wanted to make a point to newbies and new post ops about how important it is to really know what you need to do and to really know and understand what your chosen WLS requires of you so you can be healthy.

You have a great opportunity here, to use your experience to teach people to advocate for themselves and learn for themselves what they need to do and to never just take what your doctor says as gospel.

Again, my apologies for hurting your feelings, I really am sorry about that.

Kerry

Back when she had her DS, information was hard to---Oh **** it, just go read my thread.
Diane Davis
on 1/14/11 1:36 pm
I'm a preop DSer, so definitly have little knowledge of any means to help you.  I guess I'm confused.  Are you revised from a DS to an RNY or RNY to a DS?

There are people on here who will help you, give them a chance.  Sounds like you have been out there struggling on your own, without medical or peer advice.  Keep trying on here, listen to whats being offered you in advice and follow through with it.  Many here have gone through the same thing but our peeps pull them through.

God be with you and I'm sending my prayers!
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!            
Kerry J.
on 1/14/11 1:55 pm - Santa Clara, UT
It's a long sad story Diane and I'm not sure I know the whole story.

What I've read is that Tazz had a sort of DS done back in 2002. But she doesn't know exactly how it was done and her surgeon has a horrible reputation for not doing the WLS he was supposed to do. Then she didn't have a good program to follow and even what she did know or was told, she didn't follow. So she regained and then had the same surgeon revise her to some kind of RNY. She is still having trouble with weight control and deficiencies, but doesn't know what her labs have been in the past or what labs to get done now to find out where she is deficient.

If I got any of that wrong, I hope Tazz will correct me, I really would like to understand what she knows and doesn't know etc.

My point in all this is to make people aware of how important it is to really know what your surgeon is going to do to you and then what you need to to to make sure you're healthy.

Tazz has had a rough road and I really hope she gets a handle on everything so she can live a happy healthy life.

Kerry
Diane Davis
on 1/14/11 2:30 pm
Thanks Kerry, sure does sound like a mess.  Sounds like she didn't check out her surgeon or his statistics too well before taking the first step.  Desperation sure can make people do foolish things, can't it!

I'm so thankful to you and all the rest for helping with the education of the DS and whats expected of it and from it, you've all been a God-send to me.  I'm glad I'm one of those people that has to know everything about everything before I jump into it, no matter how annoying I can be!

Again, thanks Kerry!
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!            
Rhiannon
on 1/14/11 1:44 pm
First I feel badly for her as she's been thru a lot, and it appears that she's still having problems even after her revision.  I've been reading her posts for some time, and she has mentioned that she's not even certain that she was given a full DS.  If I remember correctly her DS surgeon also did her revision, I think he's done three surgeries on her.  She's not really an RNY either, as her common channel was lengthed to 200 cm and she was given a pouch, so does that make her some sort of hybrid? 

She definitely didn't advocate for herself, and went back willingly to a surgeon that she must have known by then was not well regarded.   There has been mention of two others that this surgeon supposedly did the DS on and thats not what they actually got, I know I read it somewhere and tried to find the thread it was posted on but couldn't.    And thats were the problem lies, she keeps saying that she had the DS and it was revised to an RNY, but she doesn't really know for sure if that is correct.   I hope she gets better, and receives the help that she needs, its sad and horrible that she's had so many problems.  Just wish she'd stop saying that she'd had the DS, when she may not have.  I hope she learns how to stand up and fight for herself, she may need some serious backbone if her surgeon messed up her revision.
sriedeman
on 1/14/11 1:50 pm - MN
mittenfarm
on 1/14/11 9:53 pm - County Line, MI
Although I understand your reasons behind posting a link to this person's post, it also opens the poster up to criticism and judgement from others that were not what he/she needed at this point. Although I am extremely glad I had the DS, we are not all God's gift to the weight loss world, and the do-all and end-all of all WLS procedures. Some just can't play the mental game no matter what they have done. It's OK to answer their posts, but don't create links; it just creates problems. I know there are some train wrecks on here, and sometimes you just have to shake your head and walk away from it because there is no tactful, creative way to help them.
-Wanda

Highest -380  Surgery- 345     Goal- 150   Current-150     5 ft. 8 in.

Kerry J.
on 1/14/11 11:01 pm - Santa Clara, UT
Hi Wanda,

I understand what you're saying and in hindsight, I wish I had done something different.

However, Tazz is a real case study in why everyone should know exactly what they are getting themselves into before they let a surgeon operate. Tazz just trusted her surgeon twice and never did her own due diligence, never learned what she needed to do for herself and is suffering and will continue to suffer the consequence of these poor decisions or lack of decisions. I hope people will take a look at her situation and resolve to never let this happen to them.

Tazz has the opportunity to learn what to do and how to take care of herself now. But then she has always had this opportunity and has always chosen to feel sorry for herself and cry about it rather than getting busy and digging in about learning what she needs to do.

She was advised to come here and post about her deficiency problems so people would help her. Did she do that? Nope; she chose to get her feelings hurt, then go cry about it and post a "poor me" post on the main board. This may get her some sympathy, but it's not going to help her get a grip on her deficiency problems.

I really hope she wakes up and gets busy taking care of herself instead of crying about her situation.

Kerry

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 260 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 738 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 247 views