Duodenal Switch after having RNY Surgery.

Ms S.
on 5/20/11 3:19 pm
Absolutely!  I am an RNY (1998) to DS conversion (2008) with Dr Rabkin in San Francisco. I blogged my situation with the RNY in my profile beginning in 2002 (there is a link to my old profile in my new profile). 

My suggestion would be no matter what you decide to do, definitely take a long hard look at the DS and research as much as you can before deciding to go any other route. It is not uncommon to find people *****vised from one RNY to another RNY only to find another disappointment.

It took forever: Still had to do the full multi-disciplinary process to satisfy insurance requirements
It was expensive, yes: Out of pocket costs were incredible ($10k upfront BEFORE insurance)
It was painful, yes: Thought I was going to die in recovery (to me, the pain was ridiculous)
Protein/Vitamins/Other Nutrional Supplements: FOREVER!
If I am not cautious, yes, BM's smell...but I never met anyone who's sh*t don't stank!

This is minimizing the surgery of course.  There is so much to learn but lurk a bit on the DS board. Go to dsfacts.com .  Disregard those who have nothing but negativity to share about the surgery because they usually have no reliable knowledge of it. Visit the revisions board. When you've decided to make it happen and go for the DS, next move: Get the best of the best surgeons. My choice was Dr Rabkin.

I have absolutely NO regrets. Regarding insurance, I followed this as if I were a first timer:

http://www.aetna.com/cpb/medical/data/100_199/0157.html

It also addresses:
  1. Repeat Bariatric Surgery:

Aetna considers medically necessary surgery to correct complications from bariatric surgery, such as obstruction, stricture, erosion, or band slippage.

Aetna considers repeat bariatric surgery medically necessary for members whose initial bariatric surgery was medically necessary (i.e., who met medical necessity criteria for their initial bariatric surgery), and who meet either of the following medical necessity criteria:

1. Conversion to a RYGB or BPD/DS may be considered medically necessary for members who have not had adequate success (defined as loss of more than 50 percent of excess body weight) two years following the primary bariatric surgery procedure and the member has been compliant with a prescribed nutrition and exercise program following the procedure; or
    2. Revision of a primary bariatric surgery procedure that has failed due to dilation of the gastric pouch is considered medically necessary if the primary procedure was successful in inducing weight loss prior to the pouch dilation, and the member has been compliant with a prescribed nutrition and exercise program following the procedure; or
    3. Replacement of an adjustable band due to complications (e.g., port leakage, slippage) that cannot be corrected with band manipulation or adjustments.

Good luck to you...

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 291 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 763 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 254 views