Gel caps-can we take them?

lwillis22
on 5/30/11 11:55 am
Just wondering if we can take gel caps? 

Thanks,
Lori

amccu18007
on 5/30/11 12:25 pm - Newark, DE
For what? I have taken gel cap for a headache. I don't think that I would do it for my vites though.
  Amanda
SW 269    CW 135.6  GW 140    

lwillis22
on 5/31/11 12:11 am
It is colace for constipation. I had ps on Friday and my surgeon gave me this prescription so I wouldn't get constipated but not sure if I will absorb it for it to work.

Thanks,
Lori

JennType1
on 5/30/11 12:43 pm - Middle of, TN
 The gel cap itself isn't the issue, it's what's inside it. For things like ibuprofen, I prefer gelcaps because they dissolve more readily than tablets. But for things like A, D, E and K, yeah, not so much.

Check the ingredient list on whatever you're taking. If it has glycerin, or some kind of oil, you're wasting your money taking whatever it is, because those are fats and we won't digest whatever it's mixed with properly.

Jenn
Type 1 diabetic, 26 years
With great power (the DS!) comes great responsibility.

beemerbeeper
on 5/30/11 1:04 pm - AL
It is what is inside the gel cap that matters.  The football looking caps that have an oily inside are not going to be absorbed.  That is why we take dry A, D, E and K.

~Becky

lwillis22
on 5/31/11 12:09 am
It is colace and so I am not sure what is inside and if I will be absorbing it or not. I just had tt, bracio and hernia repair on Friday and doc has me on these to keep me from getting constipated.  This doctor is not a ds surgeon so wouldn't probably be thinking about absorbtion for me. 

Thanks,
Lori

Renee2007
on 5/31/11 12:34 am - Central, FL
 Like the others have said, it depends on the content. I just used over the counter laxatives and stool softeners in tablet form after my procedures.

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

vitalady
on 5/31/11 4:19 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
All are made of gelatin.

So, SOFTgel (football with liquid inside)
or CAPSULE, which is two harder pieces, stuck together with powder inside.

CAPSULE is ok, providing what's inside is a useful form for us.

SOFTgel usually is not. However, there are exceptions. Cranberry is a football, but the content is not oil, just liquid. Stool softeners just come the way they come. You may have to vary the dose. I use 4 myself.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 235 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 727 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views