Post Surgery Update (:

(deactivated member)
on 6/25/11 8:22 am, edited 10/22/11 3:50 pm
Well I made it to the dark side in one piece minus a bit of stomach lol

Things went smoothly from what I gathered, it was about 3.5 hours I think from start to finish of the open surgery.

Dr. Ungson and his team are awesome! They are all very nice and a pleasure to meet/work with.

The first day I don't remember much, I was drugged up on morphine which put me to sleep. It wasn't long before they took me off of it because of how much I was sleeping, the second day I think.

Pain was never really that bad, most of the time hovering around 6 or 7 without medication. They gave me some sort of sublingual pain killer. I hated it. It tasted odd and the texture was off putting but it was for the pain so I put up with it.

They took my IV out Thursday night and I started on liquids Friday morning. I won't lie, it's been challenging to get the liquids. I am sipping though as much as my little stomach will allow.

Walking is great. I feel so much better when I walk. At first getting out of the chair is always rough, read I am very stiff, but once I'm up and moving it gets much better.

I've stocked up on baby wipes, because you know, liquids in/liquids out. I think that is the part I hate the most. Damn liquids. You can't trust ANY thing on a liquid diet. A few close calls but no accidents yet. I bet my body is saving that for the flights home. Traitor. LoL!

We are back in the hotel now, I was sprung from the hospital this morning, yay! I will miss my nurses though. They were very professional and personable. A little bit of a language barrier but we managed just fine (:

My blood sugars are normal! Woohoo!

Dr. Ungson said my CC is 80 cm and that he removed about 80% of my stomach, which I think makes it about 2-3oz.

I go to the clinic on Tuesday to have the stitches removed and hopefully will get the go ahead to move to pureed foods!

Thank you all for your support and assistance (:

ETA (Oct 23rd): Common Channel is actually 100 cm, not sure where I got 80 cm from LMAO Blame the drugs
(deactivated member)
on 6/25/11 8:25 am
Get some Immodium for the trip home!  I had a 19 hour flight (including layovers) and it worked for me!

Congrats, Lo!!

adkmtngirl
on 6/25/11 8:35 am - Brant Lake, NY
 Congrats! I am so happy you are doing so well.
Kristina

determineddanni
on 6/25/11 10:27 am
I am glad everything went well for you! Keep us posted on your journey, GOOD LUCK!
(deactivated member)
on 6/25/11 11:14 am
On June 25, 2011 at 3:22 PM Pacific Time, lo24 wrote:
Well I made it to the dark side in one piece minus a bit of stomach lol

Things went smoothly from what I gathered, it was about 3.5 hours I think from start to finish of the open surgery.

Dr. Ungson and his team are awesome! They are all very nice and a pleasure to meet/work with.

The first day I don't remember much, I was drugged up on morphine which put me to sleep. It wasn't long before they took me off of it because of how much I was sleeping, the second day I think.

Pain was never really that bad, most of the time hovering around 6 or 7 without medication. They gave me some sort of sublingual pain killer. I hated it. It tasted odd and the texture was off putting but it was for the pain so I put up with it.

They took my IV out Thursday night and I started on liquids Friday morning. I won't lie, it's been challenging to get the liquids. I am sipping though as much as my little stomach will allow.

Walking is great. I feel so much better when I walk. At first getting out of the chair is always rough, read I am very stiff, but once I'm up and moving it gets much better.

I've stocked up on baby wipes, because you know, liquids in/liquids out. I think that is the part I hate the most. Damn liquids. You can't trust ANY thing on a liquid diet. A few close calls but no accidents yet. I bet my body is saving that for the flights home. Traitor. LoL!

We are back in the hotel now, I was sprung from the hospital this morning, yay! I will miss my nurses though. They were very professional and personable. A little bit of a language barrier but we managed just fine (:

My blood sugars are normal! Woohoo!

Dr. Ungson said my CC is 80 cm and that he removed about 80% of my stomach, which I think makes it about 2-3oz.

I go to the clinic on Tuesday to have the stitches removed and hopefully will get the go ahead to move to pureed foods!

Thank you all for your support and assistance (:
I am glad to hear you're doing well.
(deactivated member)
on 6/25/11 1:41 pm - Beverly, NJ
Congrats!!!! I'm so glad to hear your doing so well!!!! I love post op stories!  :)
J G.
on 6/25/11 4:05 pm
Hi kiddo!  It's great to hear from you.  You're into the stage I like to call "your work."  The surgeon has done his work, and now it is time for "your work."  It ain't exactly easy, but you know what you've got to do and you can do it.  Just do it a little bit at a time and you'll make it through. Try different beverages at different temps, and later come back and try some over again.  Big congrats on your blood sugars!

-Jenny
Rena H.
on 6/25/11 7:44 pm - Spokane, WA
i bothered Luz a bit on your surgery day checking in on you. She said you were doing awesome! I am happy to hear you are chilling in the colonial and enjoying the nice heat. I wish i was there and warm right now.

say hi to doctor Ungson for me! =]
HW - 395 / SW - 358 / GW - 150

scoob
on 6/25/11 7:44 pm - Somerset, KY
Sounds wonderful! So glad everything is going so well. Those liquids can be hard at first but just sip away and it does get easier. Congrats and Welcome to the DarkSide!!

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

Ann M.
on 6/26/11 1:16 am - GA
Well we are almost switch sisters. I here what you are saying about the liquid diet! Did not know we could take imodium.

Congratulations on being on the other side- I look forward to your continued success!

-Band to DS revision on 06/21/2011!
Highest known Wt/ Lowest Wt (Banded)/ Regain-Starting Wt/ Current Wt/ Goal Wt
379.6/ 272/ 342/ 169/ South of 200

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 98 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 98 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 649 views
Need help for my mom