I'm a newbie :)

(deactivated member)
on 6/26/11 7:19 am - NC
Hi guys :)  I'm loving reading all of your stories, suggestions, feedback, etc and I wanted to introduce myself.  I'm Miranda...30...live in Durham, NC and had the DS procedure done on 6.9.11 through Duke's program.  I'm almost 3 weeks out and am having mixed reactions with it.  I'm feeling much better now, but the road here has been rough.  I look forward to reading more about what has helped with you  guys, to get past certain barriers, and what continues to help you as you move closer and closer toward your goals.  It's obviously very important to form connections with people who are going through/have been through similar obsticles, so I am hoping to gain new buddies and support from this forum.  I look forward to getting to know you all!

Miranda

Frostbite25
on 6/26/11 7:47 am
 Hi Miranda and Welcome :)

Congradulations on your surgery!

I am 3 months out and loving it! If you are curious and want to hear the rambling of a newbie DSer like yourself, stop by my blog!  www.myswitchedscoop.com

TTYS 

Maria

WLS: Total lost 260 lbs - 03/14/11 Duodenal Switch with Dr. Mitchel Roslin
PS: 02/10/14 LBL w/ Anchor cut, Long Thigh Lift, Arm Lift, Breast Lift with Dr. Francisco Sauceda

Dr. Sauceda's Patient Group - Click here to Join

(deactivated member)
on 6/26/11 7:56 am - NC
Thanks, Maria!  I will def drop by and do some snooping on your blog soon! :)
MajorMom
on 6/26/11 8:07 am - VA
Welcome aboard! I'm a Carolina girl myself. I hope you're already hooked in with the other Dr Sudan DSrs in your area. They seem to be a great group and I hope to get down there to visit one weekend. Things that helped me were knowledgeable caring people, protein shakes and the right amount of the right kind of vitamins.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Janine P.
on 6/26/11 8:20 am - Long Island, NY
Welcome!!!

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Ann M.
on 6/26/11 8:50 am - GA
Welcome aboard. I'm 5 days post op and have not had a hard recovery thus far. I am not so sure myself. I am a little sad and miss food. My surgeon requires about 4 weeks of liqiuds. I am dying for FOOD!

-Band to DS revision on 06/21/2011!
Highest known Wt/ Lowest Wt (Banded)/ Regain-Starting Wt/ Current Wt/ Goal Wt
379.6/ 272/ 342/ 169/ South of 200

sherryatlarge
on 6/26/11 11:42 am, edited 6/29/11 7:34 pm - TX

Hi - I had my DS on 6/20/2011. So that's 7 days out for me. I can so relate with you. I'm so wanting to eat some food!

I feel like I'm in a dream.        
Rosalind G.
on 6/26/11 2:17 pm - La Cañada Flintridge, CA
I think the immediate days/weeks p/o are much more difficult for patients whose docs mandate NO SOLID FOOD.  I know they ALWAYS have reasons, but I've often thought it just a wee bit more than a little odd that some surgeons say, "Hey, if it's good for you and if you like it, go for it." while others say, "Whoa, we better watch out for those leaks," (or whatever it is).

I think it's important for you to understand that P/O "sadness" is fairly common. P/O depression is quite well documented and is associated with the after effects of general anesthesia.   Because we've had WLS, I think we tend to believe that this feeling is unique to the surgery itself.  We have attached great expectations to the operation, and woven into this is a powerful symbolism which has arisen from years of using food for comfort, as a calmning agent, for stress relief, and even as an anger managment response tool. Then, suddenly, overnight, it seems as though food, this bulwark against the world, is gone.  Oh, my goodness, so much is associated with our eating behavior, and sometimes, I think, we fear we're losing that  (self-destructive) coping mechanism, that wall that protects us from the world and its travail, and we just  don't know what in the world we're supposed to do next.

With WLS, we have to deal with this weird sort of sense of loss relating to food.  But, the only real loss is those huge servings, 2nd, 3rd and so on, that we can no longer--thank God--engorge, or if we weren't bulk eaters, then the continuous, day-long munching on anything not nailed down. 

If our sadness continues, or if everything just seems to get harder rather than easier, it's more than likely time to seek out some counseling. 

I think you *will* find a wonderful world here of compassionate support givers. 

Be confident; you've made one of the finest decisions you will ever make for yourself in your life.  This surgery, this choice you've made to heal a progressively sickening body, will bring you years and years of joy, not to mention a longer life, as well. 

All, my dear, *will* be well in your garden.

All is well in the garden, Roz
DS lap--8/4/04--Dr John Rabkin, San Francisco (246/118)
4/6/06--Lower body lift with muscle repair, Dr J. C.Fuentes, MX
7/31/06--Facelift; TCA peel (lower eyes); canthopexy,Dr . Binder (love him), BH, CA
2/7/07--Breast Aug/Lift--Dr  Bresnick, Encino, CA
Better living through the scalpel

KarenFlorida
on 6/26/11 9:11 am - Orlando, FL
Welcome! My surgery was 6/8/11 and I'm doing really well so far! I'm able to eat a small amount of just about any soft food without stomach issues, but get gas/ diarrhea if I don't stick to protein and avoid carbs. If you're having trouble, make sure to focus on fluids first! Don't beat yourself up if you can't eat much yet. I just packed my lunch for tomorrow (my first day back to work) and it is pitifully small! Karen
Join me! weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

Rosalind G.
on 6/26/11 10:04 am - La Cañada Flintridge, CA
I'm not sure why you'd even think about eating carbs at this point.  How in the world can you possibly get in enough protein in your teeny tiny tummy when you've bloated it with non-essential food, "food" that will only impede progress and will continue to stimulate your carbometer? 

If you want to guarantee a slowed down weight loss journey, eat 'em, fart 'em, and long for 'em.  They *are* the enemy.

All is well in the garden, Roz
DS lap--8/4/04--Dr John Rabkin, San Francisco (246/118)
4/6/06--Lower body lift with muscle repair, Dr J. C.Fuentes, MX
7/31/06--Facelift; TCA peel (lower eyes); canthopexy,Dr . Binder (love him), BH, CA
2/7/07--Breast Aug/Lift--Dr  Bresnick, Encino, CA
Better living through the scalpel

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 85 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 85 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 643 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 233 views