Why did you choose DS?

(deactivated member)
on 6/24/11 12:28 pm, edited 6/24/11 12:29 pm - Underwood, ND
Just wondering from everyone, WHY did you choose DS over other WLS?  Why not RYN or sleeve?
ambermay
on 6/24/11 1:28 pm
Why I chose the DS....
I get to keep my pyloris valve..  I have read that the lack of one with RNY make severe fluctuations in glycemic levels thus leading to increased hunger and snacking and weight regain..
I get to continue taking NSAIDS.  You can not ake these after RNY
More variety of foods you can eat after surgery and more "normal" meals.
Highest sucess rate long term  (I am 28, so I have a long long term)
I didn't choose the sleeve b/c  I think for me I also need the malabsorbtion....

5'6" -- HW 270ish/SW 153.6/GW 150/CW 138
Amber

beemerbeeper
on 6/24/11 7:00 pm - AL
Because once I learned that it EXISTED and was the best weight loss surgery available it just made sense to stop my slow suicide by obesity.

Type II Diabetes killed both my normal wieght parents.  I won't get it.  If the DS CURES it it will surely PREVENT me from ever getting it. 

I knew I couldn't live with a RnY:  no NSAIDs? no drinking with meals?  huge chance of regain after 2 years?  dumping?  reactive hypoglycemia?  huge chance of regain after 2 years (oh yeah I said that already) not for me. nope.  no way.

The band is crap.  At least I knew that.

I had dieted and exercises myself up and down the scale so many times I had shot my metabolism to hell.  Restriction via the sleeve was NOT going to be enough.  Even though I was a light weight with a BMI under 40 and less than 100 lbs to loose I knew I needed the malabsorption.

The DS has the best stats for everything they measure in WLS science except for resolution of GERD which I did not have.

The DS has a life long eating/diet that I can live with.  And actually like.  Bacon, butter, cheese, steak, full fat everything.  What's not to like?

I can take NSAIDs judicioulsy if I need them.  I can drink with my meals.  My malabsorption is forever not for 2 years.

Have you read our thread for newbies?  www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4280788/Repost-Request-Advice- for-Pre-Ops-with-Links/

~Becky

_Leslie_
on 6/24/11 8:03 pm - Franklin, WI
^^ what Becky said

All it took was me reading this peer reviewed journals on the DS... and I was sold!!

http://www.dsfacts.com/articles.html

448|180|199   
5'10"  268 lbs gone!!
                     SW  CW  GW   

Duodenal Switch                                      
                                   Surgery Date: July 30, 2010                      

manditude
on 6/25/11 8:16 am
 The huge chance of regain after 2 years was a big deal for me too. I can't even imagine going from SMO to average to MO or SMO again. That would be devastating. Reminds me of Flowers for Algernon, really.

-Mandi
DSFacts
5'1" HW: 360  SW: 337? CW: 132 GW: 130
DS: March 2011, Plastics: LBL+BLA: April 2015

airbender
on 6/24/11 9:24 pm

being a revision patient DS was my only option as a restrictive procedure was out, and actually I would not have RNY too many problems years down the road like dumping etc and regain is too high, and I wanted a better quality of life.  For me it is important for me to preserve my pyloric valve so it would have been the VSG or DS.   The VSG was not an option to me as my esophogus was too damaged.  WLS is very personal, depending on the patient, what you are willing to do, age, health, compliance,  if you are a person who will not take vit/min follow up with blood work then the DS is not for you, VSG is a better option.....

Janine P.
on 6/25/11 1:45 am - Long Island, NY
Results.  I had a lap band that didn't get me very far and I was tired of f*cking around.  I wanted results.

Janine   Me on Youtube 

(deactivated member)
on 6/25/11 2:16 am - San Jose, CA

Very simple - I wanted a surgery that

1)  Would work long term
2)  That I could live with long term, in particular the eating requirements - low cal, low fat was just NOT going to work for me, nor was a surgery that required me to chew food to a pulp, not drink with my meals and fear sugar (I don't have a big sweet tooth, but I didn't want to fear puking!)

The DS is all that and more.  In particular, it was the cure for my insatiable and inappropriate hunger that had me thinking about food and what to eat ALL THE TIME, even right after a meal.  And frankly, eating food, enjoying it and then getting to the point of feeling satiated is FAR more pleasurable than eating and never feeling "done."

no_more_rolls
on 6/25/11 4:20 am - Jackson, MI
yup....what everyone else said
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

(deactivated member)
on 6/25/11 4:29 am - Woodbridge, VA
Well, my primary reason for even considering WLS of any kind for myself was not necessarilly to lose weight, but to battle my type 2 diabetes. It didn't take very much research before the DS became the clear front-runner for improving/resolving type 2 diabetes.

But, of course, with a 6-month medically supervised diet and a waiting list for the surgeon, I had plenty of time to research aspects beyond just the effect on diabetes. I was 25 when I was diagnosed with my diabetes and when I started researching WLS as a treatment, and in addition to the diabetes benefit, I was excited about the following DS features:

- Hands down BEST stats for long-term maintenance of weight loss. Being so young, I wanted something that would give me a better chance at keeping the weight off LONG term.
- Preservation and maintaining functionality of the pylorus, thereby resulting in WAY lower occurence of some of the super scary potential RNY issues (severe reactive hypoglycemia, seizures, other neurological mysteries...).
- VSG stomach = reduced ghrelin (and, therefore, reduced hunger for most. Didn't work out that way for me, as I never really lost my hunger, but it was still a consideration pre-op).
- VSG = no blind stomach just hangin' out, waiting to be a potential nuisance...

If memory serves, you're a potential revision from VSG, so I'm sure some of these were already on your list of reasons to have chosen the VSG   :)
Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views