My 6-month update - Xpost from FB

sdld2001
on 6/27/11 12:07 am, edited 6/27/11 3:09 am - Summerville, SC
  Wanted to give a 6-month update. Sorry it's so long. It's my 1st update so there's a lot to say ;) I'm 5'0" and started my preop diet at 274 (BMI 53.5) and the day of surgery I was 265 (BMI 51.7) As of this morning I weigh 195 (BMI 38.1) ... down 70 pounds from surgery and 79 pounds overall. I'm at 56% EWL from surgery and 59% EWL overall. My goal weight is 140 (would like to get a bit lower for bounceback) and for the 1st time since surgery I feel like I may actually see those #'s on the scale! I had a rough 1st 2 months. I couldn't eat much, drink much, or stay awake much for that matter. Some days I slept 20 hours a day because I felt so bad. I was death warmed over. I threw up quite a bit because I couldn't get a handle on how much and how quick to eat. I haven't thrown up in 3 months, so I've definitely got a better grip on it now. At 9 weeks out things started turning around. It's been an interesting ride and I'm still learning everyday.

I really don't have any food intolerances. Okay well lettuce does a number on me if I eat more than about 1/4 cup. Funny how the same salads that I tried to live on before with no success are the very things now I can't really tolerate. However, I don't really eat a large amount of white carbs or processed foods so I could have trouble with them in larger quantities and just not know it. I LOVE the amount of restriction I have settled into for the past few months and hope it stays like this for as long time. I can eat probably 1/2 of an average-sized girl's dinner and be totally satisfied. Preop I would eat a LARGE dinner and 20 minutes later be ready for more. Volume eating was most definitely my forte. Now I always have leftovers and love the repeats.

I don't count carbs but I'm mindful of them and I also don't go ape**** with them either. I had about 1/4 of an icecream sundae yesterday, but it was also the only carbs I had for the rest of the day. (NO the icecream isn't an everyday thing. I only have have a sweet every 2 weeks to a month) 90% of the carbs I eat are from veggies. I have never met a protein shake I could stand but I start the day with a 4oz protein sludge (4 oz milk 1-1/2 scoops of powder). I hold my nose and that sucker is gone in 2 minutes. Done...over with...and 40g protein before 8am. Otherwise I get the other 60+/day with food.

I have no bathroom issues. I go once, sometimes twice in the morning and that's it. The more simple carbs I eat, the funkier it gets but that goes with the territory. Nothing a little Ozium can't knockout and I can't control.

I feel better than i have in 15 years. I started back in fitness classes last week and love it. I used to be a gym class junkie 4 years ago and I have really missed it. I'm not exercising for weighloss but for cardio benefits and muscle toning. I'd like to start lifting weights again soon. I am weaker than I used to be and a bit bigger than I was the last time I was this weight when I was a gym rat, so I'm hoping that will help.

I'm the happiest that I can remember ever being. We just moved to SC from TN (my dh moved here last summer for a job) and we're finally all back in the same household. We are running around every single day and doing things that there was NO way I couldn't have done 70 pounds ago. Hell taking a shower would wear me out! Now I take my girls to swimming lessons everyday, we go shopping, we play at the park, go to the beach, etc. I no longer stay at home when everyone else goes out because I'm embarassed about how I look. Hell I used to avoid even the Walmart because the stares were just too much to deal with. We went to a party at my husband's co-workers Saturday. I was nervous as hell but I went and I didn't hide like I used to. On top of that I got THE best compliment I have ever gotten or will probably ever get again. When i got dressed and came into the living room my 8yo daughter said "oooooooo, you look gooooood." I thought I was going to cry. I had this surgery to have a better life and to give my family a better life. I was tired of being miserable and tired of them having to suffer from a disease I could do something about. If I don't lose another pound, I've acomplished what I have set out to do. I-am-a-success. The DS have given me my life back :)
Mindee

HW - 274 / SW - 265 / CW - 178 / GW 140          High BMI 53.5 / Current BMI 34.8  
calendargirl
on 6/27/11 12:44 am - Land of Oz, KS
DS on 04/20/12

Thanks for the nice and informative update, Mindee... and congratulations on moving on down the road and reeling in some wows... 

C-Girl

Starting Stats: Ht: 5' 0" HW: 242 ~ SW: 229.9 ~ CW: 117 ~ Goal: 124.9 ("normal" BMI)
% EWL @ 03 months: 36%             % EWL
 @ 09 months: 80%
% EWL @ 06 months: 63%             % EWL @ 12 months + 2 weeks: 100%

Ann M.
on 6/27/11 12:55 am - GA
Very Inspiring. Good for you!

-Band to DS revision on 06/21/2011!
Highest known Wt/ Lowest Wt (Banded)/ Regain-Starting Wt/ Current Wt/ Goal Wt
379.6/ 272/ 342/ 169/ South of 200

scoob
on 6/27/11 1:13 am - Somerset, KY
Mindee, congrats! You are doing wonderful! Keep rockin it girly.

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

DS4dana
on 6/27/11 3:25 am - CA
Conradulations on your progress.  Thanks for taking the time to write out your day to day experiences too.

(5'6" Lg frame 7'wrist)  Pants: size 6-8
HW- 265  SW-251  CW-146 GW-155 (100% EWL in 10 months) LOW GW- 145

a_new_mii
on 6/27/11 5:00 am - AZ
 Mindy,
Congrats on your success!!!
I look forward to the day I can go shopping without all the negative stares.  
Rock On Girlfriend!!!

Ginger

Join us here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi ~~❁~Ginger~~~
The beginning of a whole new world.              
HW-445
   SW-417    CW-162  GW-175            

(deactivated member)
on 6/27/11 5:33 am
Mindee, thank you for the thorough update! You're doing great, congratulations! You'll be to goal in no time!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 278 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 752 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 251 views