What's Your Total Cholesterol?

Lisey
on 6/26/11 10:49 pm - Milwaukee suburb, WI
Just wondering what the range of cholesterol values are for DSers.  Is there a typical range or an average range for a DSer?

Mine is 86.  It was 112 a little less than four months before that.  It's got me a little concerned, that's why I'm wondering about other people.

Thanks!

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

(deactivated member)
on 6/26/11 11:40 pm
My latest was 138--very little fluctuation over the past several labs. Not sure if your low number is a problem or not.
sdld2001
on 6/27/11 12:13 am - Summerville, SC
Preop it was 212 and last month (6 months out) it was 157. I'm definitely happy that's it better than it was but would like it a little lower. My LDL is still a little high but I think it will drop more over time. My HDL is still a little low but I'm hoping exercise will bring it up a bit.
Mindee

HW - 274 / SW - 265 / CW - 178 / GW 140          High BMI 53.5 / Current BMI 34.8  
P. Poster
on 6/27/11 12:14 am
 My total cholesterol was actually "too low" on my 9 month labs at 111, and my Dr, surgeon and NUT all wanted me to "work on bringing that up".  A certain amount of fat and cholesterol is necessary for us to maintain organ and brain function...  In any case, I think it may have been a lab error, as my total cholesterol has been stable at 121 at every check since about one month postop, except that check at 9 months.  My LDL and triglycerides keep dropping and my HDL keeps going up, and I couldn't be happier with that!  
Tassia
on 6/27/11 1:22 am
 Mine was 118 at my one year.  He forgot to test it for my 18 month... but I'm getting some labs drawn in August and he'll test it then again.
*   Take 1 DS, add a little p90x and stir :)
5' 3"  HW 293/SW 253/Goal 130/CW 128

(deactivated member)
on 6/27/11 1:28 am - Yorktown, VA
Mine seems to bounce all around from the 70s into the 100s.  It's not a consistent trend up or down, so maybe it depends on how much fat I've consumed over the past few weeks before being tested?  IDK.

When I got a result in the 70s I was worried, too, but it bounced back up a bit (and then all around like I said).  I'd not worry about it.
Lisey
on 6/27/11 1:50 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
Thanks~

I'm just trying to get a sense of where people lie.  I had some out of range lab values that really aren't related to the DS that have me worried.  I thought it might all be to a chronic tooth infection that I finally got a root canal for, but I talked to my dentist and she said that, in her opinion, my infection just wasn't that bad that she thought it could elevate my WBC, much less be responsible for the high level of inflammation.  It's basically a chain reaction - things are stemming from my elevated WBC & inflammation (CRP = 13), which is why my body is absorbing protein (total protein high), yet not utilizing it (pre-albumin low) and why my body is absorbing iron (ferritin is 454),yet my serum iron and % saturation is low (5).  That, of course, has messed up/ lowered my RBC panel.

Since my total cholesterol has dropped a lot too, I was wondering if that's just normal variation from the DS depending on how much fat I'm eating, or if it's just like the protein & iron where somehow the path of fat absorption BEYOND the DS is not working well for me.  I just don't know.  I have a couple of appts scheduled for follow up testing/care on things, but I'm just worried & trying to figure it out.

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

(deactivated member)
on 6/27/11 6:41 am - Yorktown, VA
I could be totally wrong here, but I thought that pre-albumin was more of an indication of your short term protein stores.......that it is very easily influenced by what you've eaten the past few days and therefore not all that important of a lab value.....or not nearly as important as your total protein.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!
Lisey
on 6/27/11 6:49 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
No, you're right - it is highly senseitive to what you've eaten in the past week.  Pre-albumin has a "half-life" of 2 - 3 days, so half of what's made today will be gone in 2 - 3 days.  I didn't eat any less that week though.  Pe-albumin also has trouble forming if there are high amounts of inflammation (CRP) in the body, which is the likely reason for my low score.  CRP normally is less than 1.  When people are sick/ fever, fighting off an infection, it depends on the severity and length of the infection, but it can go up to around 9.  Anything 10 or higher usually indicates some underlying chronic disease, which is why I'm worried.

(deactivated member)
on 6/27/11 6:54 am - Yorktown, VA
Hopefully it's just the tooth and your dentist is wrong! 
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 258 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 738 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 245 views