lactose intolerant & far out?

j. lynn
on 6/26/11 11:36 am - NE
It's been so long since I've been on here.  When I had my band, I was super active cause it was always on my mind.  The band was a way of life.

Since I got my DS, it's just part of your life and I don't have to worry too much (you know, once you're past the intial recovery and all.)  I stay on top of my vitamins, get bloodwork up twice a year, see the surgeon once a year. 

I'm now 3.5 years post-op.

My question: Have any other long-termers become lactose intolerant?  I didn't really have any issues til about 6 months ago. But now I become crampy shortly after eating - most meals.  Haven't been able to clearly identify why.  I'm in the phase of eliminating foods one-by-one to see if that helps.

My poo after surgery has never been on the constipated side.  But now it's really runny and soft.  Not quite diarrhea, but pretty darn close.  I used to have just one BM a day - first thing in the morning, but now it can be a few times a day.  And I'm noticing that it's usually after meals.

Anyway - anyone become lactose intolerant?

LapBand: 12/20/2004, removed 6/4/2006 due to erosion
DS: 3/12/2008
Breast Lift, Tummy tuck & hernia repair: 7/30/2009
SW: 268, CW: 160, GW: 155
(Hit 144 for about 2 seconds.  Gained 10 pounds after getting married July 2010.  Weight well gained!)
(deactivated member)
on 6/26/11 1:21 pm
 Are you sure it's lactose that is bothering you?

It could be a bacterial overgrowth, partial blockage.

I would have a visit with the doctor, there are many posibilities and we can only guess at the problem,unless you are sure that it is the lactose.

I hope you can get to the root of the problem quickly and get back to normal.
j. lynn
on 6/26/11 11:33 pm - NE

No, I'm not certain at all that it's lactose.  I'm really just at the beginning "what could this be?" stage and have kind of been invesigating the "easy" or "obvious" possiblities like lactose issues.

The bacteria thing is a really good lead.  It's been significantly worse since about a month ago when I had a UTI and went on an antibiotic.  Just for 10 days, which cleared up the UTI.  I've been taking probiotics for about 2.5 years.   I don't know..something might be there with that!

To be honest, I didn't think about calling the doctor cause it wasn't THAT bad ya know?  It certainly wasn't "end this pain now!" kind of bad, but I'm noticing that it's consistently after meals or something.  Better call the doc!

LapBand: 12/20/2004, removed 6/4/2006 due to erosion
DS: 3/12/2008
Breast Lift, Tummy tuck & hernia repair: 7/30/2009
SW: 268, CW: 160, GW: 155
(Hit 144 for about 2 seconds.  Gained 10 pounds after getting married July 2010.  Weight well gained!)
newyorkbitch
on 6/26/11 2:39 pm
Yes.
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 6/26/11 6:25 pm
 I'm wondering the same as Inge. It's worth getting it checked out. 

I was lactose intolerant right after surgery, but I discovered after a year or so I wasn't anymore. Just because I usually hear of it working that way, I don't see why you couldn't develop it later.

NoreenRT
on 6/26/11 11:33 pm - Warner Robins, GA
i am 2 years out and i go in and out of being lactose intolerant.   currently i am out of love with dairy.  (sucks).
my poo is the same everyday, unless i am a bad ds'er and eat a lot of crap.  i empty out  2 - 4 times every monring within a 2 hour period. so, no bowl obstruction here.
i was talking to someone who had their gallbladder removed many many years ago. he is a normie, no wls.
he too goes in and out of lactose intolerance.  one time it lasted years for him.  within the past 3 years, he is able to consume dairy, just not milk. 
he's surgeon and drs told him, this is not unheard of.

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

(deactivated member)
on 6/27/11 12:10 am
duncans
on 6/27/11 12:53 pm
4.5 yrs out, still lactose intolerant---darn.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 267 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 742 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views