Tired of being tired....does it get better?

(deactivated member)
on 6/27/11 3:37 am
I had surgery 6 weeks ago, a revision to DS, and I'm sooooo tired.
I know that it has to get better, but when? I'm doing the shakes, but
I have had some bad encounters with solid food, so perhaps it was too soon on that front. 
Exhaustion is terrible.
Kathleen F.
on 6/27/11 4:29 am
It could be a number of things or even a combination. You are still recovering from major surgery and your caloric intake is extremely low. This could account for a lot. You may want to talk to your doctor and see about testing for anemia. That is also a possibility after surgery.
k9ophile
on 6/27/11 5:07 am
I'll say this as nicely as I possibly can...  You had MAJOR surgery and only 6 weeks ago.  I was a virgin DS and felt like death warmed over for longer than 6 weeks.  It is a big huge deal.  Of course I thought I was Wonder Woman and should have felt better that I did and long before I did.  Please don't do that to yourself.  Please don't be as silly as I was.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

airbender
on 6/27/11 8:26 am
this can be so different depending on so many factors, age, health status preop etc.  it will also get better when you can eat instead of just drinking (even if you are choking down shakes)  make sure you are drinking enough water, it will get better give it some time, you just had surgery 6 weeks ago, and some take longer to recover
(deactivated member)
on 6/27/11 8:50 am
Yes, trying to get all the shakes in is TOUGH.
I simply cannot wait to feel more normal. Changing the bed is an olympic event for me right now.
elixir
on 6/27/11 9:19 am - MI
I certainly hope it gets better, eloisie. I work split shifts from home and as soon as my first shift is over I take the dog for a walk, make any calls or run errands that need to be taken care of... and then I sleep.  I have to set my alarm ot make sure that I don't sleep for more than three or four hours. I've been thinking of it as my second sleep. I get seven to eight hours at night (if I'm lucky) and then a three hour nap in the afternoon. 
 I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

(deactivated member)
on 6/28/11 8:12 am

I think many of us go through that tuckered out stage. It was at my two month labs (if memory serves) that I couldn't shake the tiredness and then the leg cramps started, a red flag for low potasium. Granted you've just gone through major stuff here, but don't always think it's just due to just the surgery itself, especially if you're symptomatic.

Jennifer D.
on 6/28/11 10:20 am
After my first surgery the pain meds that I was on made me feel horrible (not to mention didn't help with pain). Could it be that along with all of the other factors mentioned?
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
(deactivated member)
on 6/28/11 10:51 am
Good things to watch out for. I don't think it's pain meds, as I haven't taken them for a couple of weeks.
I just want this spell to break!
AllieInOntario
on 6/28/11 11:43 am
Something I noticed pre op... if you've got even a little sleep apnea going on... pain, sleeping pills and even gravol can relax your throat and agrivate the apnea.  Thus... more tired.   Might be something to consider once weaning off pain pills etc.

FWIW,  I'm zonked still and anticipate it being that way until I drop 30 or so pounds... once that's gone, the apnea should pretty much go with it and hopefully the associated added fatigue.
Pick your surgery first, then your surgeon. Not the other way around.  
PS:... Potato chips should be a food group.

I'm tired of screwing with that damn health widget.
 I've lost 125 pounds to date!!!!
   And I'm UNDER 190 now!!! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 121 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 663 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views