RNY vs. DS, Christou vs. Gagner

jmckel1
on 6/27/11 7:10 am - Ottawa, Canada
Hi,

I recently had a discussion with a surgeon who said one of the reasons some RNY'ers gain back the weight that they have lost is because the stomach is stapled and the remaining pouch is often left too big. Is that correct?

Also, in terms of surgical skill, does anyone have an opinion on whether Dr. Christou or Dr. Gagner might be more "gifted" when it comes to converting a lap-band to DS?

Thanks.
Joanlaptods
on 6/27/11 8:20 am
When I was doing my Research for DS only Dr Gagner and another surgeon who works with Dr christou does the DS laparoscopically. When I sent email for info that surgeon replied that I would be better with a VSG so I ignored him and contacted Dr Gagner instead. Dr Christou is well known but I think he might do open surgeries. Is he listed on DS facts?

start 315lbs lapband feb2006-196 lbs night Reflux bc esophageal dilation,216 lbs band replaced may 2008. Gained up to 286lbs still reflux and regurg Ds March 2011   cw 165 lb    

airbender
on 6/27/11 8:23 am

Dr Gagner.....

pycca
on 6/27/11 9:00 am - Haslet, TX
Dr. Gagner.......

Converting from Lap band to DS,  is not as difficult as RNY to DS...
larra
on 6/27/11 12:53 pm - bay area, CA
First, I'm not aware that Dr. Christou does the DS at all. Is he still at the Royal Vic? They are a big RNY group, or they were last I knew, which I admit is some time ago.

Of more importance, the size of the RNY pouch is made very small these days - 1 oz. It does stretch somewhat with time, but the bigger problem is that the stoma, the connection between the pouch and the small intestine, stretches also. Once that happens, the size of the pouch almost doesn't matter, as food drops from the pouch to the intestine without regulation, the pouch empties rapidly and the patient is hungry all the time. This process also seems to contribute to the problems with reactive hypoglycemia that some RNY patients have.

Larra
Rhiannon
on 6/28/11 12:48 am
Dr Gagner

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 264 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 740 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 247 views