Melatonin to help sleep...

Tara H.
on 6/27/11 8:52 am
Has anyone that's had the DS ever taken melatonin to help sleep?  My PCP recommended it today, but I haven't been able to find much about it on the internet as far as a DS patient taking it.  Thoughts?
(deactivated member)
on 6/27/11 9:01 am
On June 27, 2011 at 3:52 PM Pacific Time, Tara H. wrote:
Has anyone that's had the DS ever taken melatonin to help sleep?  My PCP recommended it today, but I haven't been able to find much about it on the internet as far as a DS patient taking it.  Thoughts?
I have, but I rarely use it anymore. I don't think the DS has any impact on it....Read up about the dosages before taking it. Most pills are a much higher dose than you actually need. The pills I bought at Walgreen's are 3mg. I only need 1/8th of a pill (0.375 mg).
Elizabeth N.
on 6/27/11 9:56 am - Burlington County, NJ
Dang, you are REALLY sensitive to the stuff! The first time I tried it, I bought 10 mg pills and oh my what a horrific hangover.

(deactivated member)
on 6/27/11 12:14 pm
On June 27, 2011 at 4:56 PM Pacific Time, Elizabeth N. wrote:
Dang, you are REALLY sensitive to the stuff! The first time I tried it, I bought 10 mg pills and oh my what a horrific hangover.
After my first dose of 3 mg I slept for a good 24 hours and woke up thinking I died. I'mpretty  sure 10 mg would kill me...I guess you're right about being super sensitive.
Elizabeth N.
on 6/27/11 9:55 am - Burlington County, NJ
It's different for different people. It's a very fast dissolving little tablet and I'm sure there is no digestion-related reason to not take it. Just be sure you don't get too high a dose. Get 3 mg tablets and start with just half a tablet.

Some people *points at self* are VERY sensitive to melatonin. If I use it, I have to be sitting on the bed when I swallow it and then lie down immediately or I'll be sleeping wherever I happen to land :-p. Others get no effect at all. So give it a try and see what happens. Get a small bottle at first.

pycca
on 6/27/11 10:25 am - Haslet, TX
Guess  I won't bring any melatonin with me !! LOL
Elizabeth N.
on 6/28/11 1:11 am - Burlington County, NJ
No need for melatonin at a beer tasting!

zuzupetals2u2
on 6/27/11 3:36 pm - Sedona, AZ
it was on the list to try after I went to a sleep clinic when they tested me for sleep apnea. The rationale tho behind melatonin seemed to be that is helped change time zones for travelers. It was more about changing the lighting an hour before you try to sleep- don****ch tv or go online for an hour before bedtime and dim the lights because the light in the eye was what kept our natural melatonin from forming or being effective. I have tried the pill tho (pre-op) and can't say I noticed much difference. If you smoke cigarettes or drink coffee they said not to smoke for several hours before bedtime or have coffee 12 hours prior. They were also working to change me from a night owl to a day person by going to bed 15 minutes earlier every night until I was going to bed earlier and earlier gradually. In the end tho they gave me a sleeping pill and I seem to need it everynight now or I won't fall asleep. I did quit smoking or having much coffee but the tv & online restrictions didn't work with my lifestyle. I am less of a night owl now tho. Good luck - it can be a nightmare to lay there awake for hours and not feel rested when it's time to get up!

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

Rhiannon
on 6/28/11 12:42 am
I've been an insomniac for about 15 years, was in two auto accidents and just couldn't sleep easily anymore.  I took prescription meds for years, then OTC sleep meds.  After I had the DS I couldn't take the OTC stuff anymore, as its an antihistamine, was having enough trouble keeping my fluids up.  So I tried the melatonin, Vitalady sells a sublingual tablet,  and wow what a difference.  I sleep better and wake up earlier without the next day drowsiness of the OTC meds.  I was taking 5 mg, and sometimes that wouldn't work so I'd take another for a total of 10, now I'm taking 6 mg and it works well.  Geuss I'm not the sensitive type.  Really wish I'd tried this a long time ago.

callmeEJ
on 6/28/11 2:28 am - Minneapolis, MN
I've taken melatonin a couple of times since my DS -- works just like it did pre-op.
-EJ
"If television's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who won't shut up." -cat and girl

5'6" HW 325 / SW 317 / CW 214 / First Goal 190    |    Century Club 09/19/2011
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 287 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 759 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 254 views