protein grams

smck_52
on 6/29/11 12:55 pm
Hello DSers, I have a inquiry about the amount of protein grams per day are usually recommended for DSers. And are the whey protein shots a good source to supplement for protein. I am not quite 3 months out and am still figuring stuff. My doc suggest 180 grams. Its hard for me to get that.
Any info is welcome thank you
Sharon
Happy 4th weekend!
smck_52
Elizabeth N.
on 6/29/11 1:02 pm - Burlington County, NJ
180 grams is excessive, especially at 3 months out. 100-120 is more like it, then adjust based on your labs. Those protein shots are not a good source of supplemental protein. Look for powders and ready to drink beverages made of whey protein isolate. The shots only have some whey. they have quite a bit of collagen protein as well, which is not that great a protein source for anyone but especially us.

What doc suggests 180 grams? Schlesinger?

smck_52
on 7/3/11 4:41 am
hello thanks for the reply. yes my doc is schlesinger. the booklet i was given listed 60 to 90 grms a day which he said need double so that would be up to 180 gr maybe I got it wrong I will call the office after the 4th but I was still interested in what other dsers have been suggested. I did hear that on another forum about the shots so good to know! who did your DS?
take care sharon
smck_52
Elizabeth N.
on 7/3/11 5:53 am - Burlington County, NJ
Dr. William Peters did mine. You should be fine at around 100-120 grams of protein daily. When you get your labs done (BTW, use the list of suggested lab tests compiled by Vitalady, NOT your surgeon's recommendations which will be totally inadequate; his reputation is lacking in a number of areas and aftercare is one of the great biggies), you'll be able to see if you are getting enough protein with that amount or if you need to increase.

If you take up any significant exercise pursuit, particularly muscle building exercise like yoga or lifting weights, you will need to take in a bit more protein to support the creation of lean muscle mass.

airbender
on 6/29/11 7:18 pm
wow 180 gms at 3 months PO or is that the suggestion for a DSer.  depending on your reconfiguration and malabsorption at least 100 gms/day.  I will stick with good quality protein like fish, chix, beef, eggs, greek yogurt, etc and if I still could not get in the amount of protein my body needed I would add a protein shake (if you can stomach them) good quality but  low carb.  good luck with your food plan.....
Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 364 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 137 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views