Diagnosed w/ Sleep Apnea - Anyone Else? :\

(deactivated member)
on 6/29/11 4:27 pm
DS on 02/01/12
I had my sleep study done on Saturday. Bad news. I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea. I don't even know how I have sleep apnea. I've never had a problem sleeping. My husband is also shocked, as he has never experienced me not breathing in the middle of the night.

I cried when I first found out I was diagnosed. I'm looking at this as something that is temporary and not permanent - because it pretty much is. Once I lose the weight, the problem goes away.

I don't know what to say, and, truthfully, I really don't even know what this means. I know all about sleep apnea. I know several people who have it. But, what does this mean? I'm sure it will help with insurance paying for the procedure.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, for those of you who were diagnosed with sleep apnea, did you have to have a CPAP machine, and, if so, how long did you have to use it for after having your DS?
airbender
on 6/29/11 7:13 pm
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in 2002, with the weight loss it went away.  the use of a CPAP is depended on the severity of your sleep apnea....wls will most likely address your sleep apnea
MajorMom
on 6/29/11 7:22 pm - VA
I was on a CPAP prior to surgery and was able to come off about a month post-op. It's comorbidity insurance companies look for to qualify you for WLS. Good luck!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

DivaJojo
on 6/29/11 7:42 pm - Atlanta, GA
I was diagnosed with sevre obstructive sleep apna in 2005 and was placed on q bi-pap macine. I was removed from it after my first 60-70 lb loss. Whetyer or not you are prescribed a cpap will depend upon the severity of it.

While it's my unrerstanding that sleep apnea does nit only affect those with weight issues, it is likely that you will be removed from it with a sufficient amount of loss. I personally wanted to continue using mine, specially the humidifier feature, on cold, rry winter nights, but the pressure is too high for me to breathe against it and in my recent sleep study, I didn't have enough pisodes of not breathing, per insurance, to be placed on a mavhine.

Its not a death sentence and can help in getting your wls covered. You'll be off of it soon enough.

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

Chad M.
on 6/30/11 6:09 am - Indianapolis, IN
I had sleep apnea before surgery, and still have it after losing 206 lbs. It went from being a very severe case to a pretty mild case, but still enough to warrant CPAP.

SA runs in my family; my father has very serious complex (obstructive and central) apnea. So far mine is just obstructive.

In most cases, SA will resolve after weight loss. Not all, though.

J J the Jet Plane
on 6/30/11 8:37 am
Mee too! I have been on more sleep studies this year and they are finally getting me a mask that fits.  (I had a shattered face due to a car wreck) The masks were not fitting me properly.
I struggled with the fact I had to get one and I poo poo-d it and just have hated it but then I read EN's page and you just have to suck it up, because it might just save your life. 

I still don't like it but I am using it.
Feel your pain!
Haven't had my DS yet so we will see what happens......
JJ

PS I had to get the machine or the anesthesiologist would not sign off on my surgery, there is no way around it.

Elizabeth N.
on 6/30/11 3:12 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Yay, I'm so glad that post got your attention!

Elizabeth N.
on 6/30/11 3:11 pm - Burlington County, NJ
I've been on CPAP/BiPAP since 1996. Unfortunately, my sleep apnea did not resolve with weight loss. It got lots better, but I still must use my trusty machine every time I want to sleep, even for a nap.

I'm the exception to the rule. Chances are very good you'll be able to get rid of the thing after you lose some weight.

The CPAP takes some getting used to, but it's a lifesaver. Send up a holler when you start using it. There are LOTS of people here who know what it's like and who could help with their tips and tricks.

Diane Davis
on 7/1/11 12:02 am
I'm still preop, but I believe I'll be one of those who will have to remain on my CPAP.  I've been teenie tiny in my adult life, and had sleep apnea then, so it's not likely it will be resolved.

Like Chad, my Dad and 4 brothers all have sleep apnea.  I had it even in my teens and I was thin then, as well.

I do believe my pressure will get to be decreased, that will be a blessing.

It's not the end of the world, you'll do ok and will probably not have to use it after your surgery!
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!            
Tenorwb
on 7/2/11 2:04 pm - NJ
Erika,

I had sleep apnea before my DS and still do.    I found the CPAP to be a God-send.   It has had an incredibly positive impact on my life and my ability to function.    My pressure needs are less since my DS revision, but I still need it.    

It is a comorbid that is one of the reasons insurance companies will accept for approving WLS. 

In terms of needing my machine, although there would be some pluses to sleeping without a machine, I tend to view it now as a bit of  a safety blanket and would be very hesitant about giving it up unless I was absolutlely certain I would not start to experience the constant sleepiness I had before I got one.  

I was hesitant about it in the beginning.   In fact, I probably waited too long to get one.   If you really need it, once you get accustomed to it, you will find it very helpful.  Over the years I have had very few complaints about it from girlfriends.   Neither did it stop me from finding a wife.   Basically, if your relationship is good, the CPAP is a non-issue and just a minor thing to be worked around.

Good Luck and maybe yours will completely resolve itself post op. 

Peace,

William

To teach something is to have it.  To have something you must be it.   Teach peace, for that is what you are. 
To listen to me sing:   www.youtube.com/watch

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 356 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 133 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1049 views