Post Op Expectations

ShersJourney
on 6/30/11 8:39 am, edited 6/29/11 8:49 pm
Okay, it's been quite a while since I've asked these or any kind of post op related questions since becoming a post op has seemed so out of grasp for me, so here goes!!

1. Exercise post DS - now I realize a lot has to do with how we feel on a case by case basis, but I've been swimming a lot and wonder if it's the standard 6-weeks-after-abdominal-surgery before I can return to the water or if that's longer than necessary, or is there something more I should consider?

2. A post op scouting event - all things considered, I'm hoping to have surgery early to mid August... should that be the case, there's a scouting event on Mackinac Island that I'd love to go on with my son - but - if I have surgery when hoped for, it's about 6-7 weeks post op. Right now I can swim a mile but can't walk a block (back pain) - but read stories all the time about how people can do more post op... is 6-7 weeks too soon to take on something that requires walking? (Macinac is a no-vehicle island and I've no intention of getting on bike!)

This is all I can think of at the moment, and I won't have the opportunity to ask Dr. K before surgery (before the reservation money is due) so I'm hoping you guys can throw some ideas at me!

Thanks in advance,
Sherry

(deactivated member)
on 6/30/11 11:47 am - Saint Louis, MO
Obviously, your surgeon will have the final word on any of this.  His/Her word should overrule any advice you get here.

My surgeon told me I was cleared for the water after the incisions were closed.  Water aerobics could be a good idea, no lifting and no pulling.  However, I still felt like dog poo at 6 weeks out and was still coming home from work and sleeping for 2 hours.  Walking the aisles at Walmart did me in.  Pretty sure water exercise wouldn't have lasted long.

Again, for me.. no way could i have walked a mile.. especially not in the heat.  I have a serious jelly belly (still do) and my stomach shifted painfully for about 2 months after surgery.  I had to wear a binder for quite some time.   Binder + hot outside = bad.  Plus I had such a hard time keeping hydrated, being outside and sweating would have really done me in.  That's on top of the fact that my intestines were still adjusting to the new configuration and I would NOT have wanted to be outdoors withouth a bathroom handy!!!  Add to that my need to snack every hour on the hour because I could only eat two bites at a time..

Everyone's different though.  Some people bounce right back and are little energizer bunnies after 2 weeks.  I wouldn't recommend buying any kind of nonrefundable ticket if I were you :)
Julie R.
on 6/30/11 1:56 pm - Ludington, MI
 Hey Sherry!
So glad you're getting closer to surgical reality!
When I had my DS, Dr. K. gave no post-op physical activity limitations, except, I think, that your steri-strips needed to have fallen off before you could swim.   I went tubing at two weeks out.   I remember at my two-week check-up, asking if I had any limitations on physical activity, and he smiled and said, "Well, you'd probably not want to try sky diving yet."

In regard to Mackinac.....man, I'd hate to turn down a trip like that!    As long as you have some control over how far you have to walk....meaning, I think it might be too early for you to go on a five mile walk in the woods, but if you just need to walk a block or two at a time, and you can rest if your back hurts, I'd say go for it.     I felt great after my surgery, but walked two miles a day for the entire summer before I had mine, so I was in pretty good shape.

BTW, I'm thinking of trying to come down to GR for the Support Group meeting on July 13.   Any chance you might be attending?
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

ShersJourney
on 7/1/11 6:25 am, edited 7/1/11 6:25 am
Now that's my kinda answer lol :)
I also checked after posting this; they do have electric wheelchair rental but limited and with a reservation so I'm going to call Ryba's and check on that.  I'm thinking end of September, unless summer is now autumn considering my FURNACE keeps kicking on today (grumble), should be cool enough weather and I haven't been to Mackinac in over 20 years so my fingers are crossed!

As for the support group meeting... the only reason I haven't gone thus far is the verbiage in the flyers always make it sound like it's for post ops only so it's been one of those things I've been looking forward to but haven't done yet, do you think I've been wrong?  If so, I'll be there!

♥Sher

Julie R.
on 7/1/11 9:30 pm - Ludington, MI
 I think there's absolutely no problem that a pre-op would come to something like this....it's always nice to know what you're getting in to.   What are they gonna do, kick you out?   

Barry has a new job where he is working tons of hours....so I have more freedom these days, LOL....I'll let you know for sure if I'm coming, but at this point, I'm planning to.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

(deactivated member)
on 7/1/11 6:14 am
 I can only speak for myself, and everyone has a different recovery. At 6-7 weeks I could have done the Mackinac Island trip, as long as I had the opportunity for a little extra sleep. I wasn't full of energy, but for somewhere as beautiful as  Mackinac, I could do it. I was traveling by plane for work by then, but going to bed early. I'm only 3 months out, so I still remember the whole recovery thing well. 
ShersJourney
on 7/1/11 6:29 am
OMGosh only 3 months out and already 1/2 way to goal!  That's fantastical!
I know you were answering about limitations, I just had to throw that in there and I hope to be on your heels soon!!

Best,
Sherry 

ShersJourney
on 7/1/11 6:27 am
Thanks for the answers everyone :)
I'm really considering going - and I may beg out of sleeping in a tent with smelly boys (lol) and stay at the hotel there where Christopher Reeves once slept *swoon*

Best,
Sherry

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 270 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 745 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views