What kind of protein?

Amy_Kleve
on 6/30/11 12:19 pm - Adrian, MN
I would like to order some protein samples on Vita-lady, but I'm not sure what type.
They have: Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Blend, Whey Protein Meal Replacement, Predigested Collagen Protein, and Amino Acid.
I remember reading a thread that mentioned one is better suited for DS patients. I forgot what kind that was.
*And would that type be good for pre-op as well?
Thanks all...

Lap band 4 years ago. Revised to DS 8-2-11

(deactivated member)
on 6/30/11 12:34 pm
 Hi,
Whey Protein Isolate is the best, because even if you are lactose intolerant you may still be able to use it. It has the least amount of lactose in it. It is also the best absorbed.
Isolate........it also has the least "protein taste"  in my opinion. 
Elizabeth N.
on 6/30/11 3:05 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Look for ones that have as much whey protein isolate as possible. Collagen protein is not a great type of protein for us. You don't want a meal replacement, either, you want a protein product, which is different.

MajorMom
on 6/30/11 6:36 pm - VA
There are some gosh awful tasting powders out there. As long as the protein listed first is whey protein isolate, you should be fine. Just find ones you will drink. My favorite brands for taste, whey protein isolates and Splenda as a sweetener are IDS MultiPro (vanilla-cinnamon, chocolate), Syntrax Nectar (chocolate truffle, strawberry mousse, cappuccino) and a lot of folks around here like Champion Nutrition (chocolate, banana). These are good for pre and post-op.
When you're fresh post-op you might find your tastes have changed and some flavors overwhelming when mixed straight. Perhaps try Syntrax Nectar Vanilla or unflavored since the taste would be a little less intense. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Amy_Kleve
on 7/1/11 2:43 pm - Adrian, MN
Thank you all, this helps out a lot!
Lap band 4 years ago. Revised to DS 8-2-11

Most Active