Kinda OT. Non WLS wound complication interferring with my exercise routine.

Elena22
on 7/1/11 1:32 am
Hey OH friends, June 10th I had a small tumor removed from my left thigh.  It was biopsied and thank God, non cancerous. Fri June 24th I had the stitches removed and honestly, I wondered if they were being removed too soon.  The Dr. said that she wanted to remove the stitches b/c you can't leave stitches in but so long because the skin will start to grow over them. To give the wound extra support she added butterfly strips after removing the stitches. However this wound has still not healed. The hole in my thigh actually looks bigger.  I've been back to the Dermatologist's office that removed it twice and I'm still not seeing improvement. (I went back Mon, and I just went back again Wed. of this week) I was told as long as it's not yellow or green drainage not to worry and that it should heal soon. But if I see yellow or green drainage to come back again and I'll be Rxed an antibiotic. Why do I hv to wait until I see yellow or green drainage before doing something? Can't we be proactive?

To those who are experienced with wound care, should I go to another Dr. and get another opinion? And to top it all off, I haven't been able to do my regular walking on the track b/c it's too painful. And my scale hasn't moved since I've had the tumor removed.  Granted I was warned that the muscular thigh can be a difficult area to heal, but this seems to be excessive.   Any feedback would be helpful, Thanks!
~ Elena.

lisaiamhappy
on 7/1/11 2:02 am - LeBlanc, LA
Your scale will move again dont worry. If I were you I  would get a second openion from my primary care physician and yess I would ask for some antibiotics just to be sure there is not something inside that your dr is not seeing. It is better to prevent infection sometimes than to wait until you have one. I have a lot of health problems and am speaking from my experience only remember this is my openion I am not a medical professional.

Elena22
on 7/1/11 2:09 am
Thanks Lisa, I kinda had that thought too, that isn't it better to 'prevent' infection instead of waiting for it to set in? I don't see the harm in contacting my pcp, just to get a 2nd opinon.
~ Elena.

J J the Jet Plane
on 7/1/11 2:07 am

All I can offer is, if you are associated with a hospital that has a wound clinic, you may want to make a visit,  most wound clinics charge like the ER.  So I would check with your insurance if they cover it.

I had two  wounds a surgical and non surgical wound that would not close they had to be packed and eventually I had to wear a wound vac.  One wound closed with just keeping it clean and dry.  Eventually but it took forever. 

Walgreens/CVS etc will sell something called Wound Wash Saline-- it is about 12 a bottle but well worth to keep yours clean of debris. 

The wound clinic also recommended a DS kind of diet, get protein, no caffeine, no/little carbs, almonds almonds almonds and dark berries.

Good luck and so happy it wasn't anything serious!
JJ

Elena22
on 7/1/11 2:12 am
Thanks JJ. I've been using the wound wash saline, and applying polysporin, and clean bandages to the area daily.  But it's not closing, so it may need to be packed and / or something else. Then again, maybe it's just gonna take FOREVER! . Thanks again.
~ Elena.

linda1814
on 7/1/11 3:21 am
I know someone else already mentioned this but when I was having an issue with my belly button incision, my PCP and Urgent care were unable to get better results so my PCP referred me to a Wound Care clinic.  The Wound Care clinic was awesome.  They took precise measurements and pictures of my wound but they had the BEST topical meds and bandanges that really helped my healing process.  Prior to visiting them, I had gone everywhere looking for better bandages including to Medical Supply stores.  I would not hesitate going to a Wound Care facility.  They are generally associated with hospitals.  

If there is any redness or if the area feels hot to the touch, I'd definitely get antibiotics quickly.

Hope you feel better soon!

My Macronutrient Breakdown

Daily Average for the Last 30 Days

Like this widget? Get your own at ObesityHelp.com

Elena22
on 7/1/11 6:26 am
Thanks Linda1814, it is getting challenging to find the 'right' bandage.  My pcp is open to tomorrow, I think I'm going to ask for a referral to a wound care clinic.
~ Elena.

linda1814
on 7/1/11 6:44 am
Good luck Elena, 
They do have the good stuff there so I hope you get in soon.

Feel better and have a great weekend!

My Macronutrient Breakdown

Daily Average for the Last 30 Days

Like this widget? Get your own at ObesityHelp.com

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 80 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 80 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 641 views