"FAT" Gene? Genetic Testing?

determineddanni
on 7/1/11 3:29 am, edited 7/1/11 3:34 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTO_gene
Ok, so I am sure all of you have heard of the so called “FAT" Gene, which is called the FTO Gene. Here is a link for a reference point.

What I was wondering for curiosity reasons, if I might have this gene. If I do get this test done should I submit this to my insurance as proof I need the DS or do you think it is a bad thing to send? I want to have it done for my own reasons but… is it to be used as insurance leverage or not?

Tell me what you all think!

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 7/1/11 5:05 am
this is just my take on it,

I wouldn't send any genetic information to an insurance company under any cir****tances. I would worry that it would backfire if I tried to use it as leverage, since it is debatable on how much control genes versus environment have on your health. There are people who are genetically predispositioned to have diseases they never get, and some who develop diseases that don't share the gene. So the insurance company can just contiue to blame one's obesity on lifestyle, even if they're genetically predispositioned for obesity. There's also the question of "what other info is in that gene test?", you may be giving them information bundled in the test that they could use against you later on.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

determineddanni
on 7/1/11 6:24 am
I was thinking the same thing. There is just so much 'wiggle room' with genetics. I completely agree with you :) Thank you so much in replying! I needed a second opinion.

I am going to get the test done but only on my own money, no insurance involved. I am really curious, I might get more testing done and see how I break down medications as well. (that is also a genetic test) I just love science and its just so neat to understand your body just a little bit more.
Lisey
on 7/1/11 6:27 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
 . . . or in worse case scenario, I can picture the insurance company arguing that if you do in fact have the "fat" gene, then might you be more likely to be one of those for whom WLS is not a success - since you have genetics "working against you".

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

determineddanni
on 7/1/11 7:00 am
Exactly! So I am going incognito :)
Julie R.
on 7/1/11 10:14 pm - Ludington, MI
 Here's my take.  I doubt it's like a $39.99 test, so do be prepared to shell out a considerable sum for something you're going to take care of with the DS anyway.    
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

determineddanni
on 7/2/11 1:23 am
I used to work at a genetic hospital. I know testing is expensive but I know I can afford two tests and not worry. So thats not an issue but it would be nice to know how I break down medications. I was always fasinated by that test and how useful it was. People all break down meds differently depending on their genes. This helps your other doctors determine a better dosage and plan. I am really sensitive to meds so I think I would really benefit from that one genetic test.

But.... I will not get the FTO Gene ('fat gene') checked till after surgery. :) Then I know it won't affect my insurance decision. I cannot stress how cool genetic testing is!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 266 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 742 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views