Good melting Mozzarella Cheese?

Jolly Rancher
on 7/1/11 5:03 pm
Has anyone found a good mozzarella cheese that melts well? I've bought the pre-shredded in the bags. All I can find is the low skim milk variety in that.It comes out rubbery and looking like it just went in and crisped up but no melting. I've bought blocks of the whole milk mozzerella and it seems to be a bit better, but not that great either. Any good brands that I'm overlooking?

Also - can anyone explain what chihuahua and quesadilla cheese taste like? I've seen them in rounds in the store, but haven't broken over and bought any just yet, for fear of wasting money. Granted, I know we all have different taste buds, so it's purely subjective, but just curious what you think.

I did make the mozzarella balls wrapped in sausage and the turned out well. I generally have problems with ground sausage but did well with these, and they tasted pretty darn good, so thanks to whoever posted thatl

Thanks n avance for the help!
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
elixir
on 7/1/11 6:22 pm - MI
I've bought both the chihuahua and quesadilla cheeses. They are a bit salty, but very good. The quesadilla melts well, we use it for ... quesadillas. The chihuahua is more like the texture of feta. It sort of melts in clumps, like feta does. Good sprinkled on pasta or in pasta salad. Not as strong as feta. Milder, but like I said, salty. 

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

linda1814
on 7/2/11 12:39 am
I know that I've seen blocks of whole milk mozzarella in certain grocery stores.  When my mom ever made pizza or anything that called for mozzarella, she always would grate her own.  It really does taste different.  I could always tell if it was a good cheese if I sort of pushed on it with my finger tip while still in the package... the softer ones were always creamier.  

I've bought chiuahua cheese before that's been shredded (I can picture the one particular brand that I buy that comes in a red bag) and it was super creamy, nothing at all like the other poster mentioned.  I know that I've even left it on the counter too long ... maybe less than an hour and it starts to sort of melt into a glob.   I remembered that Nicole used to post about that kind of cheese so I bought some after reading it.  I just searched for chihuahua in this forum and this is one of the links that I found.  http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4037226/What-Can-I-Do-with-Queso-Fresco-amp-Queso-Chihuahua/

My Macronutrient Breakdown

Daily Average for the Last 30 Days

Like this widget? Get your own at ObesityHelp.com

(deactivated member)
on 7/2/11 12:47 am
KarenFlorida
on 7/2/11 9:00 am - Orlando, FL
I found shredded Mozzarella by Sargento called "Artisan Blends," (they offer other types of cheese as well), and it was Whole milk mozzarella and was WAY better than the normal stuff. A bit more expensive, of course! Maybe you can find that if you still want to stick to the pre-shredded. I have seen it both in grocery stores and in Super Target, but it's not everywhere.
Karen
butercup
on 7/2/11 10:21 am - Kennewick, WA
Shredded cheeses won't melt as well as block because they have a starchy coating to keep the strand form clumping. Walmart's mozzarella melts really well. It's the packaged ball. It's not really fresh motz, but it's still really good.
Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 356 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 133 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1049 views