Upset stomach from "buttered" movie theater popcorn

Lisey
on 7/2/11 4:05 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
I've been having a lot less fat in my diet lately.  Not that it's been a conscious decision, just a byproduct of what I've been eating lately and I do just generally eat what I want to/ feel like.  In any case, I have noticed that my BM's are MUCH more compact and for the last couple days included some particularly small hard "pellets", so I figured I needed some serious fat to clear out.

So, I had a 1/2 lb burger last night for dinner slathered in mayo (no bun), a few fries.

Went to the movies & had about 1/2 of a large size/ bucket of popcorn with LOTS & LOTS of butter.  At least 90% of the pieces were 100% coated with butter.

About 3.5 hrs after onset of eating the popcorn, I started getting some SERIOUS shooting-sharp gas pains and intestinal cramping.  Had a nice, large BM.  Then I had several diarrhea-type/ loose BM's that night (with more cramping) and 4 this morning (with more cramping leading up to each BM, no cramping in between).

That sucked.

Do other people have that happen when they purposely eat a lot of fat to "clear out"?  I've always had pretty consistent BM's, in the first 18 months or so, like 3 - 4/day & in the last 6 months, like 1 - 2/ day.  I've never had to purposely eat a lot of fat.  Is this a normal clearing out episode for people?  All the cramping?

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

J G.
on 7/2/11 4:16 am
I wonder if that "butter"  had flour or some other evil substance in it???

I just got my labs done and by chance I fasted a little longer than normal, probably like 13 to 14 hrs.  When I finally did get around to pooping I had cramping  before several potty sessions so maybe that would be a similar deal to what you experienced.
Lisey
on 7/2/11 4:23 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
Who knows, maybe it did have some kind of floury substance in it as a binder for the oil.  I know it's not real butter, much to my dissapointment - I actually prefer the taste of real butter when I have popcorn at home.  BTW, popcorn at home with LOTS of butter (a layer on the bottom of the bowl!) does help to have more voluminous BM's & occasionally, I've had some very minor cramping with it, but nothing like last night/ this am.

I googled to try to find out what the "butter" is made out of at the theaters & all I could really come up with were additive names that I've never heard of that mimic a buttery taste with either coconut, peanut, or soybean oil as a base.  Maybe one of those additives?

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

(deactivated member)
on 7/2/11 10:09 am
Julie R.
on 7/2/11 10:54 am - Ludington, MI
 If I eat something really high in fat - like fried fish or extra rich ice cream, (or movie theatre popcorn drowning in butter) I will have that crampy pooping the next morning.    Just happened to me last week after overdosing on my DH's homemade tiramisu.    Feel all cleansed now, LOL?
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Lisey
on 7/3/11 4:08 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
haha, yes, I am feeling quite cleared out now!

Samaro ..
on 7/2/11 11:05 am
Movie theater "buttered" popcorn did that to me pre-op.  It was one of my go-to constipation busters.

I haven't tried it as a post-op but based on my previous experience I would expect the outcome to be pretty much like you described.

StacyB88888
on 7/2/11 3:14 pm - FL
How well have you been avoiding gluten since surgery? After I had been gluten free for awhile I started having issues with rice and corn based products.....I got brave and tried popcorn last week as a test and was laid up for 2 days in pain and tears. Celiac/gluten intolerant peeps tend to discover new issues with different foods as thier guts start healing.  The gluten free replacement products like kinnikinnick/ener-G bread products cause the same reactions(except the paranoia/depression/anxiety) as a regular slice of wheat bread would cause me.
Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 269 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 101 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1033 views