can anyone give me the low down on gel caps? :(

galla1
on 7/3/11 3:31 am
I wasn't even thinking and popped 2 cranberry capsules down the shoot because I feel a UTI coming on.. After the fact I thought about what I did. Will anything happen?
J G.
on 7/3/11 3:40 am
Generally, all I worry about is that the medicine inside the capsule is not oil-based, because then I would only absorb a small percentage of it.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia   (Redirected from Gel cap) Jump to: navigation, search

In the manufacture of pharmaceuticals, encapsulation refers to a range of techniques used to enclose medicines in a relatively stable shell known as a capsule, allowing them to, for example, be taken orally or be used as suppositories. The two main types of capsules are:

• Hard-shelled capsules, which are normally used for dry, powdered ingredients or miniature pellets (also called spheroids that are made by the process of Extrusion and Spheronization - Spheronization is a trade mark of Caleva Process Solutions) or tablets;
  • Soft-shelled capsules, primarily used for oils and for active ingredients that are dissolved or suspended in oil.

Both of these classes of capsules are made from aqueous solutions of gelling agents like:

Other ingredients can be added to the gelling agent solution like plasticizers such as glycerin and/or sorbitol to decrease the capsule's hardness, coloring agents, preservatives, disintegrants, lubricants and surface treatment.

Since their inception, capsules have been viewed by consumers as the most efficient method of taking medication. For this reason, producers of drugs such as OTC analgesics wanting to emphasize the strength of their product developed the "caplet" or "capsule-shaped tablet" in order to tie this positive association to more efficiently-produced tablet pills. After the 1982 Tylenol tampering murders, capsules experienced a minor fall in popularity as tablets were seen as more resistant to tampering.[1]

galla1
on 7/3/11 3:45 am
thanks, so is safe to say that since the cranberry is powder that I can take these for the UTI?
J G.
on 7/3/11 4:37 am
sure thing!
Elizabeth N.
on 7/3/11 6:06 am - Burlington County, NJ
That's a whole different animal. Powder inside a gelatin capsule is perfectly fine. Gelatin dissolves in your saliva, so if you want to be extra sure, hold it in your mouth for a few seconds before taking in liquid to swallow.

Elizabeth N.
on 7/3/11 6:05 am - Burlington County, NJ
It's about liquigels. The question is, what's on the inside? If it's in an oil carrier, don't waste your time. No, nothing will happen to you. They do not harm, they just might not help.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 279 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 753 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 251 views