Trying to make sure I am getting it all covered

kahlana
on 7/3/11 1:21 am - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
I am still pre-op DS but I am trying right now to get in the habits that I will need to have in place for the rest of my life after the surgery. If it's not too much trouble could someone please let me know if I am missing anything. Thanks much.

1.) Quitting smoking now (on Wellbutrin XL and the nicotine lozenges for it.) and am down from 2 packs daily to 5 or 6 cigarettes for a whole day.

2.) Taking all vitamins recommended by Vitalady at the normies doses so I get used to taking my vitamins without fail. I did have to go without a couple of meds and some of the vitamins for a radioactive iodine uptake scan for 10 days but am back on schedule again as of July 1st.

3.) Now that I am almost completely recovered from GB/appendix surgery have started light exercise again. At the moment I am able to go up and down 16 stairs 5 times without having to sit down and catch my breath again. Not a lot granted but way better than I was in March when I could barely walk to the bus stop across the street without an inhaler or feeling like I was going to black out. Hoping to be up to walking 4 miles a day again before the surgery.

4.) Attempting to eat at minimum 3 meals a day. I am not so great about remembering to eat within a couple of hours after waking up so my 3 meals are in general, consisting of lunch around 11am (when I finally feel hungry) a second lunch around 2 or 3pm and dinner around 6 or 7pm. Sometimes I have a snack around 9 or 10pm but that is fairly rare.  My meals are full meals of meat, pasta/rice/potatoes and veggies in the form of fresh frozen carrots/green beans. When i do remember breakfast its usually ceral with milk or at least some peanut butter toast.

5.) Making a binder of all needed information that goes with me to every doctors appointment that contains (for now) my list of medications and vitamins with scheduled times and doses, my food and exercise journal, current surgery report (gall bladder/appendix), current labs, emergency contact list, current allergies/sensitivities. Not sure if I am missing anything at this point since I am still pre-op and there isn't much to put in there at the moment.

6.) Start therapy on July 8th for any emotional issues that I may be using food to cope with.

I have been able to cut my coffee consumption from 2 pots a day to 3 cups a day and I am definitely getting 100 grams of protein in almost daily (somedays a little less depending on what I am eating ie my partners chili doesn't have that much meat in it). Still having problems cutting out the whites. I love my sweet tea and potatoes and pastas but trying to switch to sweet potatoes and whole wheat pastas.

Anyway, I can't think of anything else I should be or could be doing to get into proper habits now but would definitely welcome any ideas on things I might be missing that can help me make the best use of the DS post-surgery so if you see something I missed please let me know so I can add it in. Thanks in advance!

My Blog My Facebook

jewel506
on 7/3/11 1:32 am - Houston, TX

Sounds like a great pre-op plan!!

After surgery, you probably will not want pasta, cereal, etc....  You're focus will be on getting in your fluids and then your protein.  Not much room for anything else - for a while!  :-)

The only thing I don't see addressed is fluids.  Aim for 8, 8 oz glasses of water (64 oz).  Get in the 'habit' of drinking water NOW.  :-)

Switching to de-caf coffee would be a good idea, too.

Congrats on kicking the smoking habit!!!

Any idea of when you're having surgery??

Best of luck to you!!!!

Julie

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” - Plato
Stormy 918 is my Angel         Angel to DarcyMad, MizCharlottekmg9122,  Staceeann dianeys73/Diane Davis
HW 258.5 /SW 250 /GW 140 /CW 125

kahlana
on 7/3/11 10:33 am, edited 7/3/11 10:38 am - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
Jewel506... the liquids thing.. i forgot.. i am currently doing 64oz of water a day. i keep 2 of those 1 qt milk bottles around me all the time to make sure I am drinking at least that much in jus****er daily. Right now the 3 cups of coffee in the morning are the only other liquids I am drinking. Which reminds me... i need to get a coozie thingy for my bottles... they leave condensation everywhere.... sigh

ETA: I am hoping to have surgery in December (Merry Christmas to me!!!)

My Blog My Facebook

Anna G.
on 7/4/11 10:02 am
Hi Kahlana,
I've been using the most amazing water bottle I've ever encountered. It's sold on the web site of the FlyLady (Marla Cilley, who has a wonderful free program of home maintenance).  Anyway, it's a stainless bottle, and keeps water cold ALL DAY if you need it to. Of course, we drink ours much faster than that. But you can leave one of these things in a hot car in the July Alabama sun for HOURS, and there will still be ice in the bottle when you come back. My only complaint about them is that they are too small. 16 oz. won't last me long at all. But I love them because they have no condensation outside whatsoever! And I can fill and refill them all day. If I'm going out shopping, I will fill two of them and leave them in the car, and fill another to keep in my bag. That way I have cold water with me everywhere. I promise you will not regret ordering them.

I don't know why I've never bothered to mention them here before. I know we all need these! I'm going to start a separate thread.

Anyway, your pre-op plan sounds like perfection. I don't think it's all that necessary for you to wean yourself off carbs now, because you'll have plenty of time to do that after surgery when you are physically unable to eat anything but the grams of protein you need. I say enjoy all the pasta you can now, because there's a good chance you'll never be able to tolerate it again. I can't even do the Dreamfields pasta now without serious gas pain.

Elizabeth N.
on 7/3/11 6:23 am - Burlington County, NJ
Sweet potato and whole wheat pasta are still carby, so don't kid yourself. The quicker you get them out of your life (except for rare TREATS in small quantities), the better. The sweet tea is empty, insulin-kicking, killer gas-producing crap. Get rid of it now.

You're coming right along! Good progress :-). That carb thing is a pure bugger to kick, but you MUST change it. I'd suggest starting with getting the sweet tea out of your life. Go to diet or learn to drink something else.

kahlana
on 7/3/11 10:37 am - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
EN... thanks for the tip about the sweet potatoes. I have never been a big fan so I am happy to dump them out of the diet lol. And i am fairly certain I can do without the whole wheat pasta too. Now to work on breaking the carb habit.  Unfortunately if I kick the habit I wont ever be able to have them even as treats because Im a serious carb-o-holic. Every meal has potatoes or pasta or rice. So this one's going to make me whiney i can already tell lol.
As for the tea I guess I get to learn to like it without sugar. I can't do diet anything since it gives me massive migraines so looks like I am going to learn to do without sugary stuff. :D

My Blog My Facebook

jewel506
on 7/3/11 10:41 am - Houston, TX

I bet you find you don't crave carbs - especially early out.

Have your tried Stevia??  It isn't artificial.  There are some Protein Powders (shakes) that are made with it, too.  "About Time" is one brand.  :-)

Julie

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” - Plato
Stormy 918 is my Angel         Angel to DarcyMad, MizCharlottekmg9122,  Staceeann dianeys73/Diane Davis
HW 258.5 /SW 250 /GW 140 /CW 125

kahlana
on 7/3/11 10:59 am - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
I went on a Truvia kick for a while but it still had that funky aftertaste that i can only handle for about 3 days before i start gagging. But someone said Spleda is pretty decent so I'm planning to give that one a try. I'm planning to try honey though since I love honey in my hot tea in the winter.

My Blog My Facebook

Elizabeth N.
on 7/3/11 11:48 am - Burlington County, NJ
Honey is no different from any other sugar in its carbyness. it is used in diabetics to treat low blood sugar.

kahlana
on 7/3/11 1:25 pm - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
EN... well I can see there will be no sneaking the sweet stuff with you around But seriously, I see a lot of folks talking about sugar causing gas so can I assume that honey would cause the same problem? I don't recall anyone mentioning not being able to use honey.... hmmmm going to have to go looking now

My Blog My Facebook

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 296 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 768 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 255 views