6 years ago....

(deactivated member)
on 7/5/11 1:51 am
I would be waiting to make one of the biggest, most difficult decisions of my life.  I'm happy to say that I would still make it again today if I had to.

Learning about the DS was such a gift - and I too learned from some of our early vets about this choice - and will continue to be grateful to them.

I started this process at 274 pounds, and currently sit between 135-140 pounds six years later.  I'm 5'7" so I'm more than thrilled at this weight.  I wear between a 4-6.  I've never had plastics, although I certainly still think about it.  I chose not to b/c of potentially wanting more kids - although that bus has since left the station.

My complications as they were have been minimal - hernia surgery, some adhesion/potential obstruction a year ago - anemic but that is totally under control with infusions once a year.

I eat freely now - I rarely get on the scale.  I keep my protein and vitamins in check - the rest just hums along. 

I don't define myself by my surgery anymore, I guess too much time has passed.  I am, however, always diligent, and will continue to be for the rest of my life.  I have learned more about my body and what it needs than I ever knew as a pre-op.  I have a surgeon whom I adore, and  a PCP who is always willing to talk about what I need.  In this I am very fortunate.

I remember how important it was to me when I was pre-op to hear about the success stories.  I certainly do consider myself one :)

Best to you all,

Sharon
(deactivated member)
on 7/5/11 1:53 am
And I'm a week early.  Wow.  I think I'm losing my mind LOL.

Perhaps senility is a complication I should have listed tee hee.

Oh well - I'll just skip my story next week.

(cracking myself up here......)
J G.
on 7/5/11 2:10 am
Ha ha, I have that complication, too! 

I always enjoy your posts.  Congrats on you 6, count em, SIX  years. That's great.

I still kind of define myself by my DS, but it is lessening.  Good to know how you have progressed.  Oh , and I'll be looking for your story next week.    Hey, by then you'll think of something you want to add, right?

-Jenny
Blank Out
on 7/5/11 2:04 am
 I love it when you post!  Reading yours today made me remember vividly that scary morning on May 24, 2010, as I waited to be called into the pre-surgery room at 6am.  Seems like yesterday and a million years ago at the same time.  I am so grateful for what this surgery has done for me.

I am so happy that 6 years later life is humming along for you!  You inspire me!
Diane

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

Lisey
on 7/5/11 2:08 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
Congratulations, Sharon!!

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

DivaJojo
on 7/5/11 3:00 am - Atlanta, GA

I'm so glad to hear from you.  What an inspiration!!!

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

Naked_Lizard
on 7/5/11 3:07 am - West Haven, UT
Congrats, what an amazing update.
Toni
HW/298 ~ SW/285 ~ CW/161~ GW/140
OnederLand & Century Club - 11/29/2010

beemerbeeper
on 7/5/11 3:21 am - AL
Sharon,

Congrats, thanks, and best wishes for the next six years.  I hope and pray that when I hit six years that I can just  copy and paste your post!

~Becky

airbender
on 7/5/11 3:32 am
wow congrats to you, what an inspiration, great wishes for the future
(deactivated member)
on 7/5/11 3:43 am - Lancaster, OH
Happy surgeryversary, happycatbert!

You were a success story by the time I had made my decision to have surgery.  I always appreciated your input to the board (still do).

So glad that life is good.  And, that things just hum along.

I love this: "I don't define myself by my surgery anymore..."  I just realized not too long ago that it's happening for me, too.  I don't introduce myself as someone who's had the DS. (well, I didn't do that EVERY TIME, but, it was on my mind a lot)

Wishing you continued uneventfulness......
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 269 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 744 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views