Good carbs??

Amy_Kleve
on 7/4/11 4:01 am - Adrian, MN
Is there any such thing as a "good carb" in a DS diet. If so, what? I'm still having trouble deciding what I will need to eliminate and stay away from for the rest of my life. I know it ,may vary from person to person.

Thanks

Lap band 4 years ago. Revised to DS 8-2-11

(deactivated member)
on 7/4/11 4:10 am
 Yup, most things whole grain. But you won't know until you are healed and you try it and see if it works for you or not.

You really will need to wait and see. There is no way of predicting what will bother you and what won't.
Kayla B.
on 7/4/11 4:10 am - Austin, TX
There can be.  And I'd consider them the same good carbs as normal people.  Whole grains with fiber, vegetables (mostly non-starchy), fruits (mostly low-glycemic).

I think there's room for anything in a DSers diet.  I still eat my occasional cupcake and candy.  I have only eliminated what I don't really care for, or that which upsets my stomach.  I pretty much eliminated added sugar.  Won't find a bag of sugar or brown sugar or honey in my house if you tried.  I'll bake with it or use it during special occasions, but anything that is eaten on a consistent basis has had the recipe altered to not include those things.

And I mean, I don't really ever eat pasta.  Maybe at a party if there's some pasta salad (something I really like), I'll eat some, but otherwise, I'm totally content with spaghetti squash as a pasta.  If you aren't, you'll find a way to fit it in your life.

Is there something more specific you are having difficulty with?  That might help me narrow it down.  Also keep in mind that the first and second year are so much different from later years.  Tolerances change a lot after 2 years.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
airbender
on 7/4/11 5:33 am
well good carb essentially is a non-refined carb, white bread, cakes, regular desserts, etc, not made but grown, like veges, nuts, fruits, etc, then the question of low glycemic carbs come in, they are natural sugar carbs but they still contain high amount of natural sugars, like potatoes, bananas etc but they are always better than a piece of carrot cake.....  for the rest of your life,  ummm nothing is that long.  PO suggest eating good quality protein and low carb veges till your body adapts, plus what you eat early PO will not be the same at about 2 yr out when your intestinal tract has adapted.  Just focus on protein, low carb veges, and nuts till your weight loss is done, then add good carbs till you reach the point when you figure out how much you can eat before you gain....you willbe fine...
newyorkbitch
on 7/4/11 6:31 am
You cannot decide ahead of time what will disturb your digestive system and what will not. And it will also change over time. 

But I would like to say that there is NOTHING that you need to completely eliminate for the rest of your life. It's all about moderation.
Julie R.
on 7/4/11 8:37 am - Ludington, MI
 I really don't think there's anything you need to stay away from for the rest of your life.   Let your digestive system (and the scale) be your guide.  I can tell you what carbs work for me and what don't, but I still have the "bad" carbs in small quantities (or in larger quantities and pay the consequences with gas or frequent BM's).     Carbs give some people gas, and others none.   My sister and I have both had the DS.    I am the gassy one, she is not.

The goods?   Any corn products, including popcorn, grits, corn tortillas, etc.
                         Potatoes (although they fill me up quickly, except for potato chips)
                         Rice (no digestive problems, but fills me up quickly)
                         Quinoa
                         Sweet potatoes, squash, other starchier vegetables
                         Buckwheat
                         Wild rice
                         Honey (I think - I can have a spoonful in my Greek yogurt or homemade baklava with few repercussions)
                         Dark chocolate

The bads?     White flour (sometimes I can handle really high quality European baked goods or                            filo dough.
                         Whole wheat flour
                         Barley, rye, spelt
                         Flax
                         Sugar in more than just a small quantity
                         Ice cream (except for really good stuff like Haagen Daaz)
                         Items containing milk - milk shakes, frozen yogurt, Dairy Queen - OMG!

Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 131 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 671 views