Gail, NC BBQ Recipe

MajorMom
on 7/4/11 8:47 am - VA
This is really close to the way I make NC BBQ. I don't use cider vinegar, I use white but everything else is just about right. I just may try cider vinegar, just to check it out. You just add the sauce and keep tasting until you get it right.

NCBBQ.com
Crock Pot Eastern NC Barbecue (for those of us who have moved away)
Recipe Courtesy of Pam A

This is as close to going to a barbecue restaurant back home as you'll get. I had to come up with a way to enjoy Eastern NC Barbecue in Colorado and this is definitely it!

4 - 6 lb. pork butt or shoulder, bone in (size depends only on the capacity of your slow cooker/crockpot
salt
coarse black pepper
4-6 drops Liquid Smoke

Sauce
This is what sets Eastern NC BBQ apart from anywhere else in the world!
2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon cayenne
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Mix all sauce ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and set aside.
Season the pork with salt and pepper and pan sear to brown a little on all sides. Place in crockpot, add the Liquid Smoke and about 2-3 tablespoons of reserved sauce. Cook according to your slow cooker's directions about 4-6 hours on high or overnight on low until meat falls off of the bone. Let cool enough to handle. Hand shred the meat into a large container and toss with most of the sauce, reserving a little to serve with the meal.
I like to hand shred the meat because you can easily take out any fat, bone, gristle. This makes a nice lean dish. I use a large Tupperware cake holder to put the shredded meat in since it won't react with the acid in the vinegar.
Serve with cole slaw, Brunswick stew and/or fried chicken, hushpuppies and it's like you're back home!
Enjoy!

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

J G.
on 7/4/11 8:59 am
Gina, dispite the fact that I spent many summers as a child on the Outer Banks, I really don't recall having the BBQ.  I recently just tried some here in FL, it had a very strong vinegar taste.   Is this the way it should be, or was what I had just not made right???

Got any good gluten-free hushpuppy recipes?   Yum

-Jenny
MajorMom
on 7/4/11 9:15 am - VA
This is a strong vinegar base too. You can adjust the amount of sauce as you like. You could even keep most of the sauce on the side.  I did see a gluten free cornbread mix at Whole Foods. The next big batch of BBQ I make, I will give the gluten free hush puppies a try. Coleslaw needs to be finely shredded green cabbage and kind of sweet but not too sweet. I haven't got that down just right yet. lol

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

teachmid
on 7/4/11 9:14 am - OKC, OK
Thank you, thank you, thank you.....I'm making this this week!
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

mariposantos
on 7/4/11 9:22 am - Raleigh, NC
For those who want NC BBQ authenticity a little simpler...just buy Scott's BBQ Sauce!  Available online, it is definitely the REAL DEAL:  http://www.scottsbarbecuesauce.com/

I once had a vegetarian friend who was so hooked on this sauce that she actually decided to go on a pilgrimage to the restaurant where it is made and eat pork BBQ.  It is addictive!

Pamela
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal."  ~  Henry Ford  ~

pokerchips
on 7/4/11 9:45 am
Thanks I've been trying to master NC barbecue for a long time I'm getting close but no cigar...but this might just be the missing ingredient!  I use  pork shoulder that I slow cook on a Weber grill for about 8 hours can't wait until I get the sauce. :)

Change is a Process Not an Event

(deactivated member)
on 7/4/11 10:13 am - NC
My husband actually made some yummy vinager-based BBQ tonight.  It was my first time experiementing with pork (and it seems to be fine!).  I love chicken, but I def welcomed something different! :)  I'm more of a fan of western NC-style BBQ, but eastern is nice every once in a while :)
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 154 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 694 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views