NEED HELP PLEASE

DivaJojo
on 7/5/11 1:59 pm - Atlanta, GA
WARNING - Poop talk

Need help softening stool. Two weeks ago, with each emptying, the initial stools were tormed, but not hard and got softer, then finished with very soft waste. I added benefiber to shakes starting a couple weeks ago to be proactive and increased my veggies and fruits (though I know fruits may slow my loss). But now, the stools from beginning to end are formed and while not had, they aren't soft enough to not require some exertion from me.

Follwing doc's instructions for the fissure and I think it's helping snce the pain immediately after is less and not lasting quite as long (small steps, but I see them). But I am afraid if I can't soften the stool more it will delay or reverse my progress. He's had me add fiber, take one colace each am and pm and add MoM if necessary, drink plenty of water, 3-4 soaks per day followed by nitro application. Soaks/nitro is helping fissure, bot i can't soften the stool. Today I took a dose of MoM at 5:45 followed by lots of water. I just took a second full dose an hour ago with 3 colace, going on the theory that with an altered system I may need to increase to get the same effect. I have had 150oz of water so far, but seems lke it's going straight through me and I wonder if any is beng absorbed by the stool. No cramps or sick feelng, but I have heard a little gurgling, which I think is a good sign.

I don't know what else to do. . . any suggesstions. Please help.

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

airbender
on 7/5/11 2:21 pm
I had a fissure they are so painful.... I will assume you are taking ca citrate, add magnesium (preferably glycinate) at a 2:1 ca:mg ratio.  also add one serving of miralax per day, this is gentle enough for everyday.  for me the increased water did nothing, so I understand that, colace did nothing for me either.  if you follow those 2 steps you should be fine......hope you feel better soon
Elizabeth N.
on 7/5/11 2:23 pm - Burlington County, NJ

I've never had a fissure, but I am very prone to constipation. My secret weapon is simply to really push the fat in my diet. If I were in your shoes I'd chug a couple jiggers of olive oil.

Other folks talk about Miralax. That's all I can think of at the moment.

beemerbeeper
on 7/5/11 2:32 pm - AL
www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4276854/Vita-Ladys-constipatio n-program/

Magnesium Oxide with every Calcium dose

Calcium hydroxyapetite www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp instead of Calcium Citrate

More fat.

That's all I got except I think most people wind up having these surgically repaired after going through all you are going through and wish they'd just had the surgery sooner.

Have you done a search on our forum for fissures?

~Becky

_Leslie_
on 7/6/11 4:14 am - Franklin, WI
Vitalady's constipation program!

Upping fat intake is was so important for me. Think, lots of butter, mayo and bacon!

Take a shot of olive oil to help get things moving?

448|180|199   
5'10"  268 lbs gone!!
                     SW  CW  GW   

Duodenal Switch                                      
                                   Surgery Date: July 30, 2010                      

Lisey
on 7/5/11 10:47 pm - Milwaukee suburb, WI
My boyfriend has major problems with constipation throughout his life (was hospitalized for it at age 8!) and he swears by a daily dose of miralax.  It's tasteless, you just mix it into whatever liquid you want.

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

Hendramy
on 7/5/11 10:50 pm
I agree with the magnesium.  I have hiney issues as well, but mine are the other end of the spectrum, and had to eliminate all magnesium.  I'm waiting until I heal to add back in magnesium glycinate that I already purchased. 

Also, continue with the fiber and I would add more fat as well.  Think extra butter/mayo on things, sauces, beef over chicken, that sort of thing.
Amy
HW 324/ SW 303/ CW 172/ GW130            
Sheanie
on 7/6/11 10:18 am
Ever heard all the euphemisms for pooping?  "Bricking the chimney", "Shaking hands with the president", and from the Bible: "covering your feet". 

I have had horrible constipation post-DS.  Before DS?  Just the opposite.

Mine started when I introduced the calcium.  I tried Vitalady's plan for constipation, no go.  I was bleeding and my poor sphincter quivered in fear whenever I headed for the potty.  It was really sad.  What finally worked for me was Magnesium Oxide with every dose of Calcium.  I also eat two prunes with every dose of calcium.  If I still need more help, I'll drink a half cup of prune juice in the morning. 

For myself, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the cause of my constipation is the calcium.  I stopped the calcium for one week on vacation, and had the dream-like poohs that everyone on this forum boasts about.  Wondrous, floating, oil-slick, soft serve ice cream poops.  Back on calcium?  Back to Bricking the Chimney.  Small price to pay, in my opinion.

Good wishes.

I.  am.  not.  a.  doctor.

HW 250ish  SW 219  CW 110  LW 100

DivaJojo
on 7/9/11 12:23 pm - Atlanta, GA
Thanks all for the advice. Took three days, but miralax plus the stool softeners seem to have done the trick. Exacerbated my healing fissure, but not too, too much. I'm moving better, though still apprehensive at each potty break, but encouraged that nature is doing it's thing. Thanks again.

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 61 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 61 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 632 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 229 views