Was your surgeon open to "negotiation" about common channel length?

SomethingClever
on 7/8/11 1:43 am
I didn't seen any old threads on this specifically. I am still reading and learning about the DS.  It seems that common channel length varies about, and how much that matters is debatable.

Since I tend to have low Iron and Vitamin D despite supplementing (it's related to a condition I have), I thought that a longer common channel may be appropriate, even if it meant slower weight loss or even less weight loss.

But I wonder if I am wasting my time worrying about this.  Are surgeons ever even open to discussion common channel length, or are you pretty much going to get whatever their standard is (or if they wait and measure you during surgery to determine the cc length)?   I don't want to waste my time worrying about this if my input on it would be inconsequential anyway.

Was your surgeon open to your input or any "negotiations"?  Like common channel length or  sleeve size? Thanks!

PattyL
on 7/8/11 2:15 am
 Mine was and I insisted on the shortest CC he was willing to do.  Also insisted he remove my gall bladder!
beemerbeeper
on 7/8/11 2:16 am - AL
I'm sure it depends on the surgeon.  If you have any concerns at all you should just discuss it with him.  Who is your surgeon?  Folks who know your surgeon will be better able to address this as well.

~Becky

SomethingClever
on 7/8/11 3:50 am
I haven't decided on a surgeon yet.  I'd like to go with a local surgeon (Dr. Chiang in WI), however I am also considering driving 8 hours to see Dr. Anthone (in NE) as I've read he does longer ccs.  I really haven't decided yet, though.    The advantage of the local surgeon is that he actually works extensively with patients that have my (rare!) medical condition, so he is familiar with what all it entails.  That is a pretty big advantage in my book. He is the only bariatric surgeon in the country, that i know of, with this type of knowledge and experience.  The downside is that hasn't done too many DS surgeries.
J G.
on 7/8/11 7:04 am
What is you medical condition.  Just asking cause there are folks on here who have had experience with just about everything, it seems.  Maybe you could get some detailed help????

I think an 8 hr drive could be very doable with good planning.

Best of luck, Jenny
(deactivated member)
on 7/8/11 1:40 pm - Reeseville, WI

If you're talking about Dr. Chiang in Brookfield, he did my surgery and did a good job.  I was aware that he hadn't done many DS surgeries, but didn't want to travel too far away.  I did do research on him and read about him being the premiere Doctor for that condition. 

However, I see a lot of people talking quite well about Dr. Anthone,  I'm sure you'll make the right decision in the end.  

airbender
on 7/8/11 2:37 am
I think you will find the conversation with your surgeon around the cc length is for the patient to want the shortest possible, (I didn't, as I wanted the longest cc and still able to get to goal )  I have found that surgeons are much more receptive to longer cc than shorter, in other words if the surgeon usually does a 100 cc, to ask for a 75 cc would be difficult, but if you ask for a 125 cc the surgeon would potentially think about it, just my experience.....and no you are not wasting your time to at least ask, you have nothing to lose, it is your body, especially if you have a health issue that should be taken into consideration when deciding on limb lengths amongst other factors.....
(deactivated member)
on 7/8/11 3:47 am - Saint Louis, MO
Completely up to the surgeon.  Mine only does 100cc when it's lap.  Other surgeons prefer to follow the Hess method, tailoring your length to a certain percentage of your total intestinal length.
Kayla B.
on 7/8/11 5:20 am - Austin, TX
I think most surgeons should be receptive to a conversation about it, especially if you are wanting longer instead of shorter.  I think this is actually a very important part of the initial consult--finding out how the surgeon will be performing your surgery.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Renfairewench
on 7/8/11 7:23 am
Since I was a revision from RNY I was worried about losing weight. My body was fighting my efforts to lose weight and so when I had my consultation I asked my surgeon to be as agressive as possible, but within his medical moral compass.  I knew if I asked for say a 25 cm. common channel I would never get it because it would too agressive so I just said I would like him to be agressive. Right before I went into surgery, and before they gave me knock out meds I reminded Dr. G about being agressive. I got a 50cm. common channel.  So I do have a lot of loose stools and I fart when I eat sugar and flour,and I poop about 10-12 times in a 24 hour period, but I am ok with it.

I don't think it hurt to ask your surgeon about your common channel. He might be open to negotiation about it.

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 121 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 663 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views