Losi.

dolphinsle
on 7/7/11 5:44 pm - Burleson, TX
I am losing my hair....and don't know why. I am taking my supplements. I was having trouble finding a protein I could take but finally settled on the new whey shot that is 42 g. My hair is falling out in chunks.

The main supplement that I take is a multi vitamin that my surgeon developed along with Calcium, vitamin a, and Acidipholus. I had a vitamin d injection that lasts for a year. Not sure what to do.

DS on 12/8/2010
PreOp Weight 367
3 week Post Op Weight 340
Goal Weight 170

Tassia
on 7/7/11 6:02 pm
Losing hair is pretty much inevitable.  It'll slow down around 1 year out--then you should have normal growth.  

*   Take 1 DS, add a little p90x and stir :)
5' 3"  HW 293/SW 253/Goal 130/CW 128

MarciRenee
on 7/7/11 8:23 pm - IA
You are losing your hair probably b/c of a combo of reasons:
1.  Trauma of surgery
2.  Anesthesia
3.  Rapid Weight loss

It should slow down around 8 months out or so...

But to comment on your supplement schedule...um that is NOT going to be adequate, period.  That protein shot you've settled on isn't going to cut it either b/c most of it is probably collagen protein.  You want a whey blend or whey isolate for it to be absorbed by our altered anatomies.

I don't know jack about the vit D shot, but I find it hard to believe that it is going to last a year for a DS'er, but I don't know.  As for the multi that your surgeon developed I doubt if it has enough A, D, E, and K in it for you.  You will need to supplement those things separately with DRY vitamins.  So just go get the centrum or store brand equivalent and save some money on the multi and spend it on the A, D, E, and K.
Marci       
dolphinsle
on 7/7/11 9:53 pm - Burleson, TX
I have spent a lot of money on the different protein powders and I can not stand the taste of ANY of them. This shot is only 2 drinks and I can chase it with water. I have used the different powders by Jay Robb's and even bought the flavored Unjury. Because I don't like the taste of it, it makes it difficult to stay on the regime. Do you have any suggestions? I am open to anything at this point.

DS on 12/8/2010
PreOp Weight 367
3 week Post Op Weight 340
Goal Weight 170

MarciRenee
on 7/7/11 10:14 pm - IA
Well know that your tastes WILL change so what didn't work in the past might work soon.

And from what I know about the protein bullet is that is worthless = wasting your money.

I would go to 
Vitalady and order some samples.  That way you aren't wasting a bunch of money on a full tub of protein powders.

What is it about them that you can't deal with?  The smell, the taste, the texture?  How are you mixing them?

What worked for me early out:  I ALWAYS use a
blender bottle - for my shakes.  I have about 8 small ones and 8 large ones.

Syntrax nectar = Roadside Lemonade, Twisted Cherry, Crystal Sky, Lemon Tea, and Pink Grapefruit.  I mixed these with about 4 oz of water and tossed them back.  I couldn't STAND the smell of this, it makes me gag to this day, but the taste is good.  I just can't smell it while I'm scooping it. 

BSN Lean Dessert - Cinnamon Roll and Chocolate Coconut Candy Bar - mixed with some half and half.

Today - I make
Lori's Coffee Shake.  My only change is that I use more splenda and don't use sf flavored syrup.  I drink at least 2 of these a day, double scoop.  I LOVE them and they are like a treat.  My favorite coffee is Dunkin Donuts Cinnamon Spice!

Hope this helps.

You also need to running your labs (sooner rather than later since your hair is already falling out) -
Suggested Labs to Run

You also need to up your supplement schedule and adjust once your labs are back - DS Starting Supplement Plan

And you need to start tracking your labs in a spread sheet so that you can see the trends in your labs - Lab Spread Sheet
Marci       
Elizabeth N.
on 7/8/11 2:43 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Why are you not eating your protein?

airbender
on 7/7/11 9:21 pm
for my primary wls I lost over 50% of my hair going from thick to being able to read a newpaper through it.  I started losing hair at about the 3 month mark, and it slowed down at about the 9 month or so, it did takes years to come back.  some literature says, Zn, vit bs, special sampoos, nothing worked for me.  I would maybe make sure the supplements you are taking are sufficient for your body's needs per your blood work results
beemerbeeper
on 7/7/11 11:14 pm - AL
Almost everyone's hair falls out.  I am much more concerned about what protein you are taking and what vitamins you are taking.

Compare what is in your vitamiins to what is recommended:

www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramDRNY_ERNY_BPDDS3- 2010.pdf

When was your surgery? 

And if the protein in your "shot" is collagen that is NOT what you need.

Please keep talking to us and let us help you get this sorted out.

Here's what you need to know about your hair loss:

www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/telogen_effluvium.ht ml

~Becky

Kayla B.
on 7/7/11 11:45 pm - Austin, TX
Hair loss is generally part of the process.  Get a haircut to ease your misery.

As others have said, I think a better absorbed protein could help.  Check ingredient lists for "whey protein isolate" as it will be the best absorbed in a newbie.

A pretty widely loved protein is the Champion Pure Whey Stack Chocolate.  You can order a sample from vitalady or you can order manufacturer samples on amazon.  You might even get the manufacturer to send you free samples if you go to their website.  I haven't tried, but this often works.  It's not pure whey isolate, but it's going to be better than the collagen shot.

Also, if you have a vitamin shoppe near you, they allow returns on opened items if you keep your receipt and return within 30 days.  You only get store credit back, but then you can just use the store credit to just try another protein powder.

I'm a protein shake hater and I have tried a few lately that are not too terrible.  Syntrax nectar cappuccino is pretty good, and so is the strawberry mousse.  The strawberry mousse is slightly reminiscent of carnation instant breakfast strawberry flavor, which I drank as a kid so I don't find it too terrible.

And I always mix with the least amount of liquid possible.  I ditto what others have said--invest in a blender bottle.  Last time I bought one it was about $4 for the large size.  It's just a bottle with a circular wire wisk in it but it's really helpful to get a nice smooth result without clumps.  I would drink the shake right out of the bottle, too, because the hole is pretty small and it will decrease the time you spend spelling the powder, which really does have a big effect on taste.

I mix my proteins with about 4 ounces of liquid max per scoop. 

You can also add simple mix-ins to help with flavor.  Add some instant coffee powder to the liquid, or maybe a tsp of cocoa powder (may need to add additional sweetener, since cocoa is very bitter).  OR, try the shake cake!  It's food, but made with protein powder and totally yummy and lots of people like it.  Cocoa powder just has this amazing quality of hiding all the nastiness of the protein taste.

Here's a link to a thread with a good variation on the recipe.  Contact me or post on the board if you can't get it to turn out quite right and I'll/we'll help you out!

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4398870/Shake-cake/
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
MizCharlotte
on 7/8/11 12:01 am, edited 7/8/11 12:04 am - Spring, TX
If you are lucky enough not to be lactose intolerant, try mixing your protein shake with milk instead of water.  Even if you are lactose intolerant, I have just started using an HEB product called Moo-Topia which has only 6g of sugar (about 1/2 the sugar in most lactose free milk) and also has 12 g/cup of  protein vs. 8g for regular milk.

I haven't found a protein shake yet that I can stand to drink with water only.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 113 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 658 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views