What to eat?

dleblanc1968
on 7/9/11 12:01 pm - Lake Arthur , LA
I am 13 days post surgery for duodenal switch.  the smell of the protein drinks and soups are making me sick and nauseated.  I have consumed tons of  popsicles and jello, but lack the nutrional values I need.  I am supposed to be on a full liquid diet including puddings and smooth soups. Any ideas on food?   Plus, the carb content needs to be low, because the gas i am experiencing is UNREAL! 
Julie R.
on 7/9/11 12:41 pm - Ludington, MI
 How much longer are you supposed to be on full liquids for?    Most post-ops are only on for two weeks max.    At 13 days out,  you need to worry more about fluids than protein, so don't fret if you're not getting a ton of protein in.   Worry more about your fluids.    Protein shakes made me pretty nauseous too.   I did just try, for the first time, making an iced coffee protein shake, and that was really good, plus it cut the flavor of the whey.    Many thanks to  Lori Black for inspiring me to try that!    Designer Whey is the only brand that I really truly like, because it doesn't have that sick whey odor to it.    I took 1/4 cup of cold espresso, a splash of water, a big splash of heavy cream, 1 1/2 scoops protein powder, a packet of splenda, and a couple of tablespoons of sugar free hazlenut syrup.   I shook it all up in a shaker cup with crushed ice, and it was good.   Even my daughter said it tasted just like a Starbucks concoction.   

Have you tried egg drop soup?  That was my favorite post-op food, and easy to make.   You can even carry it out from your favorite chinese restaurant.   It really got me over the hump - made my poor empty stomach feel full, and tasted great too.    I also made Campbell's french onion soup (homemade would even be better) and strained most of the onions out (I don't like the consistency of onions) and then melted a piece of mozz cheese on top and sprinkled parmesan over all of that. Others have told me that they heat up one of those "Soup at Hand" cans of tomato soup and melt a stick of string cheese into it, add a sprinkle of Italian seasoning, and it tastes like pizza.  

The gas you are experiencing might be from the whey shakes.   Many of them give me awful gas (Designer Whey and Syntrax Nectars do not).
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

(deactivated member)
on 7/9/11 1:05 pm - Beverly, NJ
Egg drop soup has gotten me through the pre-op liquid phase.  All I use to make it is chicken broth and one egg.  I have a small cup every few days.  I love it!
Julie R.
on 7/9/11 1:13 pm - Ludington, MI
 I relied on that too as a pre-op - it just seemed to fill out the hollow corners in my stomach.  So - are you counting the minutes?

(deactivated member)
on 7/9/11 1:29 pm - Beverly, NJ

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who was/is hooked on the egg drop soup.  It really really helps! 

I am counting the seconds, you have no idea!  Well actually you probably do lol.

Right now I have 34 hours and 30 minutes until I have to be at the hospital.  lol 

dleblanc1968
on 7/10/11 5:23 am - Lake Arthur , LA
Good luck to you!  I'm told the first month out is the hardest, but the long term reward is well worth the journey!
dleblanc1968
on 7/10/11 5:21 am - Lake Arthur , LA
Mashables are scheduled to start on week 4.   UGH!  Not so sure I can handle it that long. My surgery was full DS and my Dr also removed my galbladder and appendix.  It was pretty invasive.   Egg Drop Soup sounds sooooo good. I will try that now.  i did make a 15 bean soup and I've been straining the chunks out.  It's good, but i'm sure i'll tire of that as well.  

Thanks so much for the input. These are some great ideas to get me over the hump!
Julie R.
on 7/10/11 5:44 am - Ludington, MI
 It's interesting how it varies from doctor to doctor.   I had the same as you - appendix, etc., and I was on soft foods at one week - some people go home from the hospital on soft foods!     I would have chewed my arm off if I'd had to stay on liquids for four weeks.     Have fun with the egg drop soup!

dleblanc1968
on 7/10/11 7:18 am - Lake Arthur , LA
I agree Julie.  4 weeks on semi liquid is tough!  I just don't understand why it does vary so much from one physician to another. I really don't think I can go the full 4 weeks on pudding, shakes and liquids, but somewhat feel like I'm failing the instrucitons of my Dr.   I feel like my body is screaming for nutrition since i'm having such a challenge swallowing the whey shakes and puddings. 

I made the egg drop soup and it's GREAT!  

teachmid
on 7/9/11 12:45 pm - OKC, OK
At that point I was eating/drinking water, chicken broth, tomato soup with cheese melted in it, Greek yogurt, egg, very thin oatmeal, decaf tea. Warm drinks tended to settle better for me. Many people try egg drop soup. I didn't try protein shakes until at least a month out.

-Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 259 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 738 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 247 views