empty stomach vitamins

a_new_mii
on 7/10/11 2:57 am - AZ
 Good morning y'all!  

I have a question about vites.  I am on Vitalday's full vite reg. I am taking the Tender Iron w/vit C and my Omeprazole first thing in the morn (empty stomach) are there amy more that need to be on an empty stomach? 
Join us here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi ~~❁~Ginger~~~
The beginning of a whole new world.              
HW-445
   SW-417    CW-162  GW-175            

MajorMom
on 7/10/11 3:03 am - VA
What is Omeprazole?  You can take food with iron just not dairy, eggs, whole wheat or caffeine. A little bit of citrus fruit is probably best. I would say you don't want to take any thing but vitamin C with iron and no other meds. No problem with foods and vitamins--some say not to eat a lot of fat with your vitamins since you're likely to malabsorb to fat and any vitamins that are around it.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Lisey
on 7/10/11 3:45 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
omeprazole (Gina - it's generic Prilosec) should not be taken with Iron b/c omeprazole's function is to reduce stomach acid.  The reason you take Iron with Vit C is to have some extra acid (Vit C = ascorbic acid) b/c an acidic environment helps to break down iron.  By taking omeprazole, you are reducing the immediate amount of acid in your stomach.  Ideally, take them far apart if you're going to take your omeprazole in the morning (which I do) or take your iron & C first, for at least an hr before your omeprazole.

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

a_new_mii
on 7/10/11 4:02 am - AZ
 Lisey,
OMG!  I've totally been doing it wrong!! Thank you  for responding.  I didn't know Iron needed acid to break down!  Maybe what I should do is, Just take the Iron in batch one and add the Omeprazole to batch two???  I can't take Iron with calcuim right? which is in batches 2,3 &4. 
HW-445
   SW-417    CW-162  GW-175            

Lisey
on 7/10/11 4:13 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
I would say it depends on how long in the morning you can go without your omeprazole.  I have to take it within 2 - 3 hrs of waking up, otherwise I get acid indigestion and I personally have chosen in the past not to take my iron upon waking.  Just see what works for you.  1 - 2 hrs for iron digestion, then omeprazole is just fine.  I have just decided to stop my iron (long post/ reason), but I would take my omeprazole in the first batch & then I had a second batch (my multi, K's & zinc) and then I had my iron.

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

a_new_mii
on 7/10/11 5:34 am - AZ
 I read your "long post reason"  WOW!  I feel so bad you have to go through that.  It's amazing how much this WLS has made me learn about my body.  Everyday I learn something new (today included  ).  It sounds like you're having to learn a little more than you wanted to know!  I hope you and the Dr.s get it figured out really soon!   
Thank you again, 
HW-445
   SW-417    CW-162  GW-175            

vitalady
on 7/10/11 11:12 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
I take mine with my first batch, which is an "everything".

I take iron about an hour after bfast, but never on empty. I take with fruit.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

a_new_mii
on 7/10/11 3:57 am - AZ
Gina,

Thank you for your insight.   

Omeprazole (Prilosec)  is an acid reducer.  I tried to go off it at 10 weeks, and ended up with a pretty upset tummy.  I'll keep trying to remove it from the reg. every couple weeks.  I've heard it's not good to continue taking it long term.  

Anyway I have my protein coffee first thing in the morning (but at least an hour after the Iron). That's why I take the first batch of Vites as soon as my eyes open.

Maybe I should switch my first and last batch??? 
HW-445
   SW-417    CW-162  GW-175            

MsBatt
on 7/10/11 12:35 pm
Since iron is so 'picky', I take mine in the middle of the night, when I get up to pee.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 295 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 767 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 255 views