RNY to DS

Karenzia65
on 7/9/11 12:06 pm
I just had a revision to a DS.  My doctor said the weight loss will not be as fast as the first time, but what results have others had? 
(deactivated member)
on 7/9/11 12:20 pm
 I suppose it depends what you are revised from. From the lap band like I was, the weight loss for me was pretty normal I think. It was faster then what I had with the band.

But I have read on here that some of the RNY to DS revisions where a little slower.

Good Luck
teachmid
on 7/9/11 12:56 pm - OKC, OK
Congratulations on your surgery. I had a revision from a RNY to DS. I, too, was told to expect a slower weight loss and it's true for me. I think it depends on what kind of revision you had.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

(deactivated member)
on 7/10/11 12:48 am - Bayonne, NJ
I was a lightweight revision, more for other complications than for weight loss, but I never did get down to where the surgeon said I would be. I'm happy in the 160s so it's all good.
Karenzia65
on 7/10/11 3:14 am
Mine was a little of both.  I had gotten down to 176 and was very happy with that .  Then I had a incarcerated hernia...had surgery and started gaining like mad even when eating 800-900 calories daily.  Then started having BM problems, ulcer, etc...

Doctor now has my pouch much smaller and the malaborb way more...said it was basically a DS when it comes to what to expect.

I just want to get back down to where I was....lower would be the "icing on the cake"  :) 
larra
on 7/11/11 1:22 am - bay area, CA
Karen, unfortunately from your last post it seems that you don't have a DS. You have an ERNY. This isn't surprising since your surgeon isn't known for doing the DS, let alone the much more complex revision of RNY to DS. Not saying he's never done a DS, I don't know that one way or the other, just that it's not what he's known for.
     Your supplementation needs will probably NOT be the same as with the DS. You will probably have more problems than we do with maintaining good vitamin and protein and calcium levels. I think you need to ask your surgeon exactly what was done and will need regular and probably more frequent lab testing that most of us need.
      The general opinion of ERNY on this forum as that it's the worst of both worlds...all the issues of having a pouch rather than a sleeve, with more potential problems from malabsorption than with the original gastric bypass. I think it's regretable that your doc told you to expect the same post-op issues as with a true DS. I also hope he will provide good follow-up for you.
    Sorry to rain on your parade and I sincerely hope you will do well with what you have, but you do need to know your reality.

Larra
Karenzia65
on 7/11/11 3:52 am
Yes that is basically what he told me.  I will take supplements 3 times daily, and all that "good" stuff.  He told me to make sure I get calories in basically because much will be malabsorbed.  Yes he will be doing regular testing to check these levels.

Not really raining on my parade...I'm happy with what he did...some of it was for other complications that needed this. :)
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 147 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 690 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views