Comng out of hiding . . .

DivaJojo
on 7/10/11 12:07 am - Atlanta, GA
. . . well, I am finally beginning to feel myself again, though there's more healng to do. Just for a recap, was diagnosed with a fissure on last Friday and started treatment prescribed by colon doc. While I could tell the fissure was healing with the soaks and ointment (plus staying off my butt - thank you holiday weekend), it was becomng more difficult to go. I was going regularly when I saw doc, though it was uncomfortable, but by Thursday morning I couldn't go without probably ripping out a lung.

Miralax finally helped. I was taking 2 colace every 5-6 hours and one miralax every 14-16 hours. Start the day with 2 tblsp of olive oil followed by a hot (to taste) glass of water. Centered eating around fruits and veggies, no cheese and some meat (ANTI-DS, I know but working on a breakthrough and not much interested in eating at the time).

Cut calcium for now to give myself the best chance (trying to eliminate the constipating culprits). Drinking 120 - 180oz of water daily. Finally had a breakthrough Saturday morning around 7am. Beginning was still difficult, but I had spent the last 2 hours with an icepack on my butt so it was numb and I was through to mush and finished by the time the feeling started coming back.

Had to sit there a few minutes as my body recovered from the. . . trauma, I guess. A tremor went through me with a tingling buzz all over. Little light-headed. Took my first real relaxing nap after, but had to apply ice immediately because it really aggravated the healing fissure. But I had the rest of the weekend to step up the bath soaks and ointment sessions.

Wouldn't you know my period chose that moment to start . . . a full three days early. Continued soaks yesterday, but I have to figure out something else for today. I was taught not to sit in the tub during my cycle. Since the purpose is relaxing the muscle with the heat, I'm gonna substitute a heating pad. It's not too bad cuz I can sit up now with mild discomfort which I couldn't do this time last wee****il late afternoon. Just gonna be patient and let nature take its course.

Did run to the store yesterday afternoon and was a little light-headed, tired and, I think, flushed by the time I got back. May have been a bit dehydrated cuz I slept more and didn't drink quite as much water, but I am making up for it today. Already on my third 32oz cup.

Finally feeling more myself. Have puttered around house and done some straightening up. Walked up to the street and brought down garbage can, cleaned litter box. Little tired and sweating after, but recovered in a few minutes which is blessedly normal for me. Am feeling the typical crappiness that comes with my flow each month but it is a picnic compared to the last six days. Well, gotta go. . . time for another treatment.

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

a_new_mii
on 7/10/11 1:43 am - AZ
 Glad to hear you're finally on the mend.  It sounds like it's been a rough many days!  
Heal quickly!!!!
Join us here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi ~~❁~Ginger~~~
The beginning of a whole new world.              
HW-445
   SW-417    CW-162  GW-175            

scoob
on 7/10/11 1:53 am - Somerset, KY
You poor thing! Hope everything starts feeling better and better. Take care!

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

DivaJojo
on 7/10/11 3:03 am - Atlanta, GA
Thanks for the great thoughts. I'll be glad when my system is balanced again. Still having some off and on lightheadedness, but I think it's because I really haven't eaten enough in the past 2-3 days.

Now my attention is turned to getting back on track with my supplements, with some adjustments, and finding a beter balance in my eating. I have come to the conclusion that I was too gung-ho in my "rebirth" last month and focusng a little too much on protein. All my protein-related levels were fine which tells me I didn't so much need to up my protein intake as switch the carhs and sweets for appropriate amounts of fruits, veggies . . . complex carbs.

So basically, starting over. . . step by step ths time.

(deactivated member)
on 7/10/11 3:28 am
Hope you feel better and better.
teachmid
on 7/10/11 3:57 am - OKC, OK
Swinging lizards for your continued improvement. I know you've been suffering.

BTW, like your new avatar.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

dleblanc1968
on 7/10/11 8:25 am - Lake Arthur , LA
i am 13 days post DS.  What's a fissure and why did you get this?
Is there anything us "newbies" should know to prevent?
Rena H.
on 7/10/11 10:24 am - Spokane, WA
HW - 395 / SW - 358 / GW - 150

DivaJojo
on 7/12/11 4:54 am - Atlanta, GA
A fissure is basically a tear or abrasion in the anal sphincter muscle(s).  You have two, an external muscle that you can control and an inner one that the body controls.  The inner one stays tight until the body is signaled that there is something finished basically in the bowel and ready to come out.

The tear can be caused by trauma, passing hard stools, excessive scrathing in that area, using rough cloth in the area when bathing, etc.  Lots of things than cause it because it is such a sensitive area and it's so painful because it is all muscle and nerve endings.  I've learned its somehwat common and in no way limited to WLS patients.  Anyone, young or old can get them.

That's my short, non-medical explanation.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 256 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 737 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views