question about weightloss

Fervent4Jesus
on 7/10/11 11:22 am - River Rouge, MI
Hi guys I havent been on the boards in a while but I have a question I will be three years out in november, recently my 18 year old son was diagnosed with cancer and I have put on about 10 pounds, in the meantime I was still trying to lose 10 so now I have 20 to lose.  I have been doing weigh****chers for about 3 months and exercising like crazy and I have not lost 1 pound. Does anyone have any suggestions?  I a suppose to be having a tummy tuck and breast reduction the end of september but I am really getting depressed and discouraged about not being able to lose this last 20 pounds, I mean at this point I would be happy to just lose 10.

teachmid
on 7/10/11 11:30 am - OKC, OK
Welcome back. There are a number of folks who post on the daily bites and vites thread who are relosing. I'm only 7 months out, but basically what others have said is: go back to basics, protein first, get rid of the carbs.

I know many of the vets will chime in.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

(deactivated member)
on 7/10/11 11:43 am
 If you are following WW with their menu ideas that may not be such a good idea.

With the DS you need to try to stick with Low-carb and high protein.
The more you stick with protein for whatever you want to eat through out the day the better of you will be.

I hope you can do it, just hang in there. 

I'm really sorry about your son, I hope all goes well with him.

Good Luck
Julie R.
on 7/10/11 12:16 pm - Ludington, MI
 Donna!!
I'm sorry to hear about your son!   How is he doing?   Do you have him out at U of M?
I agree with others - instead of Weigh****chers, go with high protein, high fat, low carb.    I've seen it work for so many people around here.   Also, a lot of us have a rebound after reaching an all-time low, that seems to be pretty resistant to getting off.   It seems as if it's our natural "setpoint."   That may be yours.  I bet you look pretty darn good now though!
Keeping you in my prayers, girl.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Fervent4Jesus
on 7/10/11 12:58 pm - River Rouge, MI
Thanks guys my son is in pretty good spirits. depending on the stage of the cancer it is highly likely that it is treatable... to God be the glory!!!!!  My question is about how low should I make my carb count?  Is 70 to high?  I am weighing about 160 pounds so  that puts me at least 15 pounds over a healthy weight so I hoe this is not my natural setpoint!!!!!!!  I think following weigh****chers has me pretty off, my focus has been on a balanced diet and not on protein.  I thought I was suppose to switch back over to a "normal" diet.
elixir
on 7/10/11 1:56 pm - MI
 High protein. low-carb is "DS Normal" (according to my surgeon, a DSers diet is similar to the Atkins diet.) 

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

Elizabeth N.
on 7/10/11 12:37 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Weigh****chers is completely inappropriate for DSers. You need to be eating very high protein, very low carb, minimal regard for fat. Remember, low carb eating means not eating fruit.

scoob
on 7/10/11 9:29 pm - Somerset, KY
Sounds like you've gotten some wonderful advice! You and your son are in my thoughts! HUGS

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 360 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 134 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views