Grrr

Candace Sparkles
on 7/10/11 9:59 am

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20509139,00.html

Grrrr this article just ****** me off. Not to say he can't be happy about his weight loss nor am I saying he hasn't done well with it. However a 365 pound man got the lapband? All this article is going to do is convince other people this big that it's the better surgery for them, and as we all know it isn't. Blah.  

My DS

100% EWL achieved!

sw 291/cw 134/gw 145 (Resetting goal to 135!) (resetting yet again to 120!)

Elizabeth N.
on 7/10/11 10:09 am - Burlington County, NJ
Meh. Consider the source.

butercup
on 7/10/11 12:07 pm - Kennewick, WA
He'll gain it back and revise in 4-5 years, hopefully he'll get it right that time.
a_new_mii
on 7/10/11 12:17 pm - AZ
 Just sitting my my Dr. office I've met several people who still choose to have the Lapband. I ask them why they chose THAT and they say because it's reversible.  o.O  One guy was on his was to 400 if not already there.  I tried to tell him that Ds has the best long term outcome. He had his mind set.  Dr. J said that some people just don't want to hear it when they are set on one kind of surgery.  Go Figure?!?!?
Join us here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi ~~❁~Ginger~~~
The beginning of a whole new world.              
HW-445
   SW-417    CW-162  GW-175            

StephOinAZ
on 7/10/11 1:45 pm
I was talking to a guy in my surgeon's office and he was going to get the lap-band and when asked why he said the same thing, "because it's reversable..." and my response was "so you plan on it not working and needing to have it taken out?" and he laughed and said "just in case."  I started talking to him about the DS and by the end of our little chat he was insistant on changing his surgery to the DS.  I'm glad he had an open mind, but you're right- most don't.  I didn't when I was getting my lap-band, I'll admit it.  Glad I wised up :)
StephOinAZ
on 7/10/11 1:42 pm
It says directly in the article "Due to the Lap-Band, coupled with a protein-heavy diet and strenuous workouts with a trainer five days a week (a gym was built in his Las Vegas pawn shop), Harrison lost 115 lbs. over the past year..."

Yeah- a heavy protein low fat diet with "STRENUOUS WORKOUTS" with a trainer 5 days a week in one year, yeah anyone could lose 115 lbs w/o the lap-band even.  I don't like that they say "due to the lap-band" when it's obviously due to the strenuous workouts and FIVE PROTEIN SHAKES A DAY he says he drinks.  Geeze.
nightowl
on 7/10/11 3:56 pm - Topeka, KS
Thanks for the link, Candace.  That article is very interesting to me (and the resulting comments on their web site).  I wish I had cable -- I think that would be one of the shows I'd watch.  I first learned a little about that show when one of its stars was on Jay Leno's show and I saw a clip.  I think I also saw a little of that show when I was at my neighbor's house and it was playing.  I think I am on hold for the DVD of season 1 of it from my public library.

But, back to your point: I totally know what you mean.  Here is another similar case, from my own surgical practice.  It sort of makes me shudder. www.topekaobesitysurgery.com/mike-foster  He "weighed.... 667 pounds when he underwent LAP BAND surgery in August 2004...."  And he had been on insulin.  He's done exceptionally well with the band, it seems.  It says he is now at 250 and off of insulin.  I don't know which surgeon he had, if the surgeon tried to convince him of RNY (I don't think my local WLS practice was doing DSes in 2004), etc. 
Hendramy
on 7/10/11 11:41 pm
It all depends on what you want out of surgery and out of life.  I originally thought I wanted a lap band, but when I heard about the complications and problems and then found out about the DS I knew it was the right thing for me.  I'm still working it all out but I think it's absolutely the right move for the SMO patient who is willing to educate themselves and be compliant. 

That being said I know a lot of people who would need the DS but I wouldn't recommend it to them because they would never be compliant and THAT is more dangerous than getting the lapband.
Amy
HW 324/ SW 303/ CW 172/ GW130            
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 297 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 769 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 255 views